GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Accident & Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 10:00 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I'm not sure what the standard operating procedure for armored trucks in NY is. Not opening their doors is one thing due to robbery attempts, but leaving the scene of an accident seems out-of-the-norm. Did you file a police report? It's not hard with a 100 cops on each block and tons of cameras everywhere. I'm assuming you had a dash cam and at 15mph, you should have a very clean shot of the license plate.
On a rear end, likely you will be deemed at fault 99% of the time. Filing would just have the Insurances also get involved only to have you end up having a claim filed against you by the Truck. I'm sure that's most likely why Alex left it alone.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (11-22-23)
Old 11-22-23, 10:31 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I'm not sure what the standard operating procedure for armored trucks in NY is. Not opening their doors is one thing due to robbery attempts, but leaving the scene of an accident seems out-of-the-norm. Did you file a police report? It's not hard with a 100 cops on each block and tons of cameras everywhere. I'm assuming you had a dash cam and at 15mph, you should have a very clean shot of the license plate.
Originally Posted by jgscott
On a rear end, likely you will be deemed at fault 99% of the time. Filing would just have the Insurances also get involved only to have you end up having a claim filed against you by the Truck. I'm sure that's most likely why Alex left it alone.
That's exactly why - plus it was super busy on the avenue it happened and i'm sure it would've taken the cops forever to get there. Even though there are lots of cops around, response times for non-life threatening or smaller accidents are typically awful.

My neighbor is an Uber driver and he's gotten into a few minor accidents this year and he says he always tells them he needs an ambulance so they "prioritize" the accident and respond quicker. I feel like he was driving aggressively and stopped short for no apparent reason but I should have been more cautious and given myself more room to stop. I certainly will going forward though - live and learn!
Old 11-22-23, 10:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
That's exactly why - plus it was super busy on the avenue it happened and i'm sure it would've taken the cops forever to get there. Even though there are lots of cops around, response times for non-life threatening or smaller accidents are typically awful.

My neighbor is an Uber driver and he's gotten into a few minor accidents this year and he says he always tells them he needs an ambulance so they "prioritize" the accident and respond quicker. I feel like he was driving aggressively and stopped short for no apparent reason but I should have been more cautious and given myself more room to stop. I certainly will going forward though - live and learn!

A lot of non-serious accidents without injuries are best just left up to the insurance companies to work out. Get the other party's license plate number and insurance policy information - and if they refuse to give you there insurance info that's okay - because your insurance company can get it with the license plate number in ½ nanosecond, and if by chance the other party is uninsured, that's why you have insurance coverage for damage caused by an uninsured motorist.

That's why you must have insurance to begin with and pay the premiums you do, so let the experts figure things out...

The last thing you want to happen, is to get involved in a confrontation with someone at the scene of an accident - or afterwards trying to deal with someone else's insurance company. Those are both a Big no-no! Again, that's why you have insurance to begin with and pay the premiums you do, so let the experts handle it..

If it is nighttime and dark or somewhere that you are uncomfortable being, or if it's raining or threatening bad weather - it's perfectly okay to leave the scene after getting the other party's license plate number and telling the other party you'll be calling law enforcement. Then, call 9-1-1 to let them know you were involved in a minor accident and that you have prudently left the scene and you want to inform authorities. Afterwards, call your insurance agent or your insurance company to inform them of the accident event. That is perfectly acceptable and lawful to do.

A Hit-and-Run Offense only occurs when an individual is involved in an accident and drives away from the scene without exchanging information. All drivers are legally obligated to ensure all parties are safe after an accident and that proper insurance information and driver license information is exchanged.

Most areas of the country have a policy that don't require you to call law enforcement for accidents with damage amounting to less than a few thousand dollars if there are no injuries (except for one's pride) and not blocking traffic that don't require towing.

Here in Texas, according to the Texas Department of Transportation, you only need to involve the police after an auto accident in Texas under these circumstances: Someone suffers an injury or passes away, the vehicles suffered too much damage to be moved, one of the drivers appears to be intoxicated.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-22-23 at 03:20 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (11-22-23)
Old 11-22-23, 11:05 AM
sbowden99
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the back wheel well.