GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

which GS to choose

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23 | 12:32 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Default which GS to choose

Hi guys, I would like to buy a 2017 GS F Sport, and right now i have two options:

1. black exterior and interior, triple-LED lights, 38k miles, AWD, no mark levinson, OTD 35000
2. white exterior and red interiorm, no triple-LED lights, 39k miles, AWD, mark levsion, OTD 37500.

I tried the 10-audio Pioneer speakers on the ES in 2019. The front was OK, but when you sit at the back row, it was not so well. I'd like to know if the 17-audio ML on the GS performs pretty better than the 12-audio Pioneer speakers without ML?
Old 11-01-23 | 12:41 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Few points.

- It's easier to upgrade speakers than it is to retrofit triple beams. For $1k you can upgrade to a great sound system and pocket the rest.

- Red interior is awesome.

If you don't mind the black, maintenance and condition checks out. I would take the black one. If you don't care much for the headlights, white one for sure.
Old 11-01-23 | 12:53 PM
EAST
Advanced

Agree. Triple beams are much more expensive than upgrading some of the sound system. All else being equal.

I like the red seats but black is also nice.
Old 11-01-23 | 01:42 PM
gaki
Driver

As much as it kills me to say this as I love triple beam, I'd go with the white exterior. Having had a black car in the past, and being as **** as I am about keeping the paint free of damage, I couldn't do another black car again. I also find it weird that the white one has roughly the same miles as the black one but costs more (ML shouldn't be a deciding factor). I'd get the car knocked down to 35k OTD and then look for a way to get those triples in.
Old 11-01-23 | 02:08 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

I have sat in both types of cars (ML vs. non-ML). I wouldn't pay the original MSRP for the ML, but since I got the car used, it's a "nice" upgrade but not worth the difference, if that says anything.

I also feel that the LEDs on my prerefresh 450h is nicer than the triple LEDs on the postrefresh since they actually still swivel which to me is more beneficial than fixed beams (the light output range can't compensate for curves, no matter how wide the beam is. I've driven both many times to confirm this difference).

But between the two, I'd pick #1 since the standards headlights are noticeably LESS effective than the Triple LEDs. Vs. the Standard Sound system which isn't really NOTICEABLY less quality than the ML.
Old 11-01-23 | 02:16 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Originally Posted by gaki
As much as it kills me to say this as I love triple beam, I'd go with the white exterior. Having had a black car in the past, and being as **** as I am about keeping the paint free of damage, I couldn't do another black car again. I also find it weird that the white one has roughly the same miles as the black one but costs more (ML shouldn't be a deciding factor). I'd get the car knocked down to 35k OTD and then look for a way to get those triples in.
yeah, actually I asked dealer if they could match the offer. Sales said they could if you had document to show with them. Then I showed the message to him and he asked the manager. The manager said since the white exterior is more popular, so they can only gave an additional 500 discount.............
Old 11-01-23 | 02:18 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

My previous ES was only equipped with standard headlights. If triple LED works well, I might choose option 1.
Old 11-01-23 | 02:22 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

The reason may be that the white car is from Lexus dealer and has just been put up for sale online. However, I still feel that the price is a bit high. For OTD price 37,500, I think I can buy a 2018 or 2019 car with the same mileage and equipped with triple-led and ML Audio if i wait for a while.
Old 11-01-23 | 02:28 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Personally, I think both black and white are good. I watched some videos on YouTube about the differences between ML speakers and Pioneer speakers. I feel like there is a big difference between listening to rock music? I personally prefer listening to slow songs. I don’t know if there is much difference between the two speakers for this type of music.
Old 11-01-23 | 03:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

For me personally, I'd keep looking. Option 1 would be out because I don't want a black exterior. Option 2 would be out because I don't like the red interior.

Options-wise, I have both ML and the triple beams. The triple beams are a huge game changer in my book. They add a LOT to the look of the front end of these cars, plus I find them to be very effective. I wouldn't go without them.

I haven't tested a GS without ML. My 2014 IS350 was without ML, and I was supremely disappointed in that sound system. I don't know how it compares to the base system in the GS. When I bought my 2015 GS, ML was a must because of that experience, and I've carried that requirement on to the 2019 GS and now my 2020 GS. However, as others have said, you could fairly easily upgrade the base system.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (11-04-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 06:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Both prices seem way too high to me at 40K miles.
Old 11-01-23 | 06:42 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
Both prices seem way too high to me at 40K miles.
yes, but this is the current market situation – it's a seller's market
Old 11-03-23 | 11:09 AM
gaki
Driver

Originally Posted by msdmsdmsd
yeah, actually I asked dealer if they could match the offer. Sales said they could if you had document to show with them. Then I showed the message to him and he asked the manager. The manager said since the white exterior is more popular, so they can only gave an additional 500 discount.............
Laughable. Like you mentioned earlier, the car is still new in their inventory. If you're a gambling type, you could wait and see if they start dropping the price. I know that my 13 with 35k miles sat on the lot for a few months last year which brought the price down.
Old 11-03-23 | 07:44 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Both look to be priced a bit high. Black is pain to keep clean. ML was a must have
for me in my current 2017 and prior GS430 and GS460. I knew I wouldn’t customize my stereo so having ML was a no brainer. I also have the red interior which stands out.
Old 11-04-23 | 12:40 PM
Kooper
Rookie

Black cars are beautiful but just impossible to keep clean. Personally I find white to be just a bit too plain. I have the red interior and love it. It also gets a lot of compliments.
The triple lights look cool but for me not a huge factor. I have ML and really enjoy the sound quality.

Quick Reply: which GS to choose