GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rod Knock - Fix or Replace Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23 | 02:25 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
Nothing in that video had anything to do with @BlackMambaGS350 's car or engine.

It looks like that 'bad engine' being torn down in the video had severely overheated and destroyed itself...
Oh, I know that but I'll bet our engines are almost identical internally and it was interesting to see a worst case scenario. Free-standing cylinders was also surprising.

Originally Posted by zheka130
I've got an interesting situation where a "low oil level light came on" and then disappeared. This happened a couple of times on the highway, over one particular stretch.
I was certain that the sensor is faulty, as I always change oil every 7000kms and the engine is like new.
However, I checked the oil and indeed it was low, to my surprise.
No i find that the oil level seems to drop over time, (i guess it is being burned, although I am still doubtful).
Bought 0W-30 oil this time. Will put that in and see if this situation persists.
How much oil? If it is less than 1qt per 1500kms, it is likely pretty benign. You don't see blue smoke out the back, do you? What is the total mileage on the car?
Old 11-06-23 | 04:20 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

If the engine is going to be replaced, all this detective work and analyzing each part of what he said seems to be a moot point. The rod bearing has probably welded it self together along with super heating that portion of the journal and crank to a unsafe level. The most cost effective solution is to just R&R the engine, swapping the engine is not hard, but you need the tools and the time with some know how to do it. Get zip lock bags and label them like "Oil Pump Bolts", also taking pictures along the way will help greatly. Good luck if you under take this job, you will be one of the very few owners to have engine swapped their own vehicles.... And that will be pretty cool👍🏻.
Old 11-06-23 | 04:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSJ350
If the engine is going to be replaced, all this detective work and analyzing each part of what he said seems to be a moot point. The rod bearing has probably welded it self together along with super heating that portion of the journal and crank to a unsafe level. The most cost effective solution is to just R&R the engine, swapping the engine is not hard, but you need the tools and the time with some know how to do it. Get zip lock bags and label them like "Oil Pump Bolts", also taking pictures along the way will help greatly. Good luck if you under take this job, you will be one of the very few owners to have engine swapped their own vehicles.... And that will be pretty cool👍🏻.
​​​

Yeah boy, let's swap out that destroyed engine with the rod bearing probably welded it self together with super heating of the journal and crank! That will be pretty cool.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-06-23 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-06-23 | 05:19 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Let's swap out that destroyed engine with the rod bearing probably welded it self together with super heating of the journal and crank. That will be pretty cool.
Is this some sort of english BC? You having a stroke? And not the kind of stroke you're normally use to while looking at your 2nd cousin.
Old 11-06-23 | 07:19 PM
EAST
Advanced

I know you added more oil but have you done an oil change since the knock started? Do you see metal in the oil or the filter?
Old 11-06-23 | 07:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is this some sort of english BC? You having a stroke? And not the kind of stroke you're normally use to while looking at your 2nd cousin.
Just repeating your strangely written commentary!
Old 11-06-23 | 07:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlackMambaGS350
mileage is 140k. I bought it with 60k and been putting on roughly 100 miles daily.
He explained here.

Below are pics of a 2GR I shot at a Dealers that went at 124k due to lack of maintenance and proper OCI's. As you can see the rod and bearings spun on the crank, and then everything else went left from there with metal everywhere. Point is once the crank, rod and bearing mess up and still running, metal goes everywhere and you would starve the cylinders and valve train also. Unless you are a experience engine builder there is far too much to go wrong on rebuild.

Also there was a guy on the IS forum who attempted rebuild on the 2GR. Just the Cylinder wall honing reassembly created a major complete fail.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...8-is350-7.html

2GR at Dealership

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 07:48 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Just repeating your strangely written commentary!
You could be an all-star over there at CNN!...with your carefully clipped snip-its of what i wrote in a full paragraph to then be compressed into one "Kentucky folk" sounding sentence 😬. "Fake Newsss, Fake Newss" -Donald Trump voice.
Old 11-06-23 | 09:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This is a good thread to see rare failures of the 4th Gen GS engine. As time goes on others likely will. Why don't you 2 end it now.

I will admit I have been no Angel myself here.

Lets keep the thread open, and see what the op does to get his GS back up running again.
AJLex19 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23 | 06:14 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
How much oil? If it is less than 1qt per 1500kms, it is likely pretty benign. You don't see blue smoke out the back, do you? What is the total mileage on the car?
Not too much, probably 1/2 liter every 2000kms. Nothing crazy, but considering adherence to a very strict maintenance schedule, it is somewhat unexpected. The mileage is also nothing out of the ordinary, at 213,000 kms.
If this was a BMW or an Audi I wouldn't even think twice, as it would be considered normal. But for a Toyota product that has been well taken care of, it is a bit surprising.
Knucklebus (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23 | 07:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think some of the comments from members here about @BlackMambaGS350 's engine are based on very premature and incomplete information, including some confusing remarks made by the OP himself, but with some of the commentary here from members, a reader of this thread could surmise that his engine has already been torn down, examined and determined to have failed - with insinuations that his engine is certain to be seized-up junk from lack of engine oil that needs to be replaced. That is far from reality and is not the case!

Talk of rebuilding and replacing the engine before the car has even been diagnosed by an experienced tech is certainly not helpful at all.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-07-23 at 07:59 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 11-07-23 | 07:46 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

I have little to contribute to this conversation, other than to second the opinion that you would likely save more time and money buying a replacement engine than tearing your engine apart, diagnosing both the oil loss and the resulting failure, and then, if possible, repairing it.

That having been said, who is going to buy the old motor to build a sleeved low compression stroker?
Old 11-07-23 | 09:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
I have little to contribute to this conversation, other than to second the opinion that you would likely save more time and money buying a replacement engine than tearing your engine apart, diagnosing both the oil loss and the resulting failure, and then, if possible, repairing it.

That having been said, who is going to buy the old motor to build a sleeved low compression stroker?
I was thinking the same, add Flow benched measured Stage I Head porting and mild Cams.

I wish Lexus would have given the GS at least a special V6 like 3.7 or 4.0.