GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Keyless entry installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 05:12 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
Someone on here would have the wiring diagrams, maybe EAST, without them it would be hard to know what modules etc are needed.
Sadly, I would assume that its probably an expensive and time consuming task to switch everything over if its not already there.
It might be worth if you found a wrecked one, one that has been rear-ended or something similar would have all the functioning parts but you would have to do a bunch of research. but yeah I would guess is a decent job.

Honestly I'm very surprised that you car seemingly doesn't have it. seems like a really weird feature to be missing from a car that is not a base model. gs300h is a high-mid range model. Maybe there is some funny regional stuff happening.

Best case is that the wiring is there, and you can just get some handles with the sensors in them to put on it.

Does you car have the little puddle lights under the mirrors. and if the car is locked and you stand beside it do they come on and light up the ground? If so then I would have to assume the car has the correct modules for detecting the key is next to it. But honestly im just guessing at this point, would need the wiring diagram to fully know.
It seems that, unfortunately, my trim level doesn't have it. Since there are no lights on the mirrors, and the car doesn't recognize when I approach it.
Old 11-08-23, 06:21 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that is unfortunate man. A bit annoying, although I have found the GS key fob has good range so hopefully that offsets it a bit for you.
Old 11-08-23, 06:45 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
Well that is unfortunate man. A bit annoying, although I have found the GS key fob has good range so hopefully that offsets it a bit for you.
​​​​​ Well, nothing to be done. I'll put it up for sale. My Toyota Avensis 2012 had keyless entry, and my Infiniti has it now. It's kind of hard to get used to using a key fob again. It keeps falling out of my pocket...

Last hope that there might still be cables for handles with this function, but it's doubtful.
Old 11-08-23, 07:50 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you have power trunk? If yes, does it open if you have key in pocket and push the black button by the license plate light? That has its own key detection in the rear bumper area. It is more curiosity to see how this system works.

It seems like the door handles function as touch sensor and key antenna for outside the doors (red). You already have the indoor antennas because that's how you start the car (green). The blue one seems to be for the luggage compartment when key is outside.

So, in theory, if the wiring harness was already there, I would hope the system would recognize the already registered key via the new signals that the door handle antenna would give.

I wonder if there are any how-tos here where someone might have the picture of the harness to compare with what you may or may not have.

​​​​​​EDIT:
Looking at some eBay listings it seems the connector on the end opposite from the key hole.
Example 1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276055281314

Example 2: www.ebay.com/itm/166383901716
This one still has the pig tail attached that it looks like they sliced off but you can see how the connector from the car harness would look like.

Last edited by EAST; 11-08-23 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EAST:
FullMetalM (11-08-23), Wanitive (01-21-24)
Old 11-08-23, 09:19 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

East coming in with the goods as per usual!
The following users liked this post:
Wanitive (01-21-24)
Old 11-11-23, 01:02 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

Originally Posted by EAST
Do you have power trunk? If yes, does it open if you have key in pocket and push the black button by the license plate light? That has its own key detection in the rear bumper area. It is more curiosity to see how this system works.

It seems like the door handles function as touch sensor and key antenna for outside the doors (red). You already have the indoor antennas because that's how you start the car (green). The blue one seems to be for the luggage compartment when key is outside.

So, in theory, if the wiring harness was already there, I would hope the system would recognize the already registered key via the new signals that the door handle antenna would give.

I wonder if there are any how-tos here where someone might have the picture of the harness to compare with what you may or may not have.

​​​​​​EDIT:
Looking at some eBay listings it seems the connector on the end opposite from the key hole.
Example 1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276055281314

Example 2: www.ebay.com/itm/166383901716
This one still has the pig tail attached that it looks like they sliced off but you can see how the connector from the car harness would look like.
As I understood, it's not actually that complicated? I need to buy door handles with antennas, run wires to them, and do I also need a special control unit? I wonder, does the key also have to be special?
Old 11-11-23, 02:27 PM
EAST
Intermediate

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, as this is a little bit new. This is if you want to try it.

I would suggest as follows.
1. See if you have the wiring harness. For some other mods I've seen on this forum where people add OEM features, there are times when part or all of the wiring is already present. It should be a group of 6 wires.
2. If there is an existing wiring harness, acquire one handle, and see if plugging it in will work.

The wiring harness mostly goes to the Certification ECU (Smart Key ECU). You should already have this ECU because it is needed to start the car. The thing is, currently I'd have to see where it is (if you wanted to go the path of adding your own wiring). I thought it was in the dash somewhere...

In theory, your current key should work because it uses same technology for the interior antennas that you use for push to start.
Old 11-11-23, 04:31 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, as this is a little bit new. This is if you want to try it.

I would suggest as follows.
1. See if you have the wiring harness. For some other mods I've seen on this forum where people add OEM features, there are times when part or all of the wiring is already present. It should be a group of 6 wires.
2. If there is an existing wiring harness, acquire one handle, and see if plugging it in will work.

The wiring harness mostly goes to the Certification ECU (Smart Key ECU). You should already have this ECU because it is needed to start the car. The thing is, currently I'd have to see where it is (if you wanted to go the path of adding your own wiring). I thought it was in the dash somewhere...

In theory, your current key should work because it uses same technology for the interior antennas that you use for push to start.
I took a photo of the door from the inside. I don't quite understand, but it seems like nothing is wired there.

Old 11-11-23, 06:37 PM
EAST
Intermediate

From where that orange R1 Orange sticker is in your picture, there should be a bundle that branches off into the door a little further back.

The part I circled in red appears to be the interior door handle illumination. If you follow it back to where it meets the main wire loom, is there any other branch in the wiring between that point and the orange sticker?

​​​​​If you see the "similar" harness, the part marked blue is the handle connector. The part marked red is the interior handle light. The orange spot is about where our orange sticker is.

Old 12-10-23, 07:30 AM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pressing of both lock and unlock buttons on the wireless transmitter should be how you change between All doors unlock and Driver door unlock mode.

For entry cancel, you start with the car off, and driver door closed and unlocked.
Then you press the unlock button on wireless transmitter, and open driver door within 5 seconds. Once the door is open, press the unlock button on the transmitter two times within 5 seconds.
**Then, you close and open the driver door twice (ending with an open door).
**Then you press unlock button on the transmitter two times.
**Then you close and open the driver door once (ending with an open door).
Then you close the door (within 5 seconds).

The sequence of steps marked with ** has to be completed within 30 seconds.

If it "worked", the car will beep. It will beep twice when keyless entry and push start have been disabled, and beep once when the system is active again.

Granted, if the whole keyless system was disabled, the keyless (having key in your pocket) push to start should also be disabled, requiring you to put the key close to the button to start.
​​​​
​​​​​
hi EAST, its cool that you know this. May I know where you found this from and where we can learn more about stuff like this? Is it in the Manual or some other place, and are there any other settings we can do for this unlock/lock functionality? Also, how to reverse this setup, is it by doing the same steps again? And I wonder what models this works for. Lots of questions. Just any reference to where all this info exists, would be great, if possible, or how you learned this would be nice to know too.
Old 12-10-23, 07:51 PM
EAST
Intermediate

You should be able to do the same procedure to enable or disable the feature.

Googling around, honestly. Sometimes stuff has to be paraphrased because it can't be posted directly here (understandably) but with enough searching, most answers can appear. Sometimes you have to use a Russian translator. Other times English is enough. Sometimes you're lucky and the answers are in the owners manual. ​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
alan311 (12-28-23)
Old 01-19-24, 03:53 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

The pressing of both lock and unlock buttons on the wireless transmitter should be how you change between All doors unlock and Driver door unlock mode.

For entry cancel, you start with the car off, and driver door closed and unlocked.
Then you press the unlock button on wireless transmitter, and open driver door within 5 seconds. Once the door is open, press the unlock button on the transmitter two times within 5 seconds.
**Then, you close and open the driver door twice (ending with an open door).
**Then you press unlock button on the transmitter two times.
**Then you close and open the driver door once (ending with an open door).
Then you close the door (within 5 seconds).

The sequence of steps marked with ** has to be completed within 30 seconds.

If it "worked", the car will beep. It will beep twice when keyless entry and push start have been disabled, and beep once when the system is active again.

Granted, if the whole keyless system was disabled, the keyless (having key in your pocket) push to start should also be disabled, requiring you to put the key close to the button to start.
​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Thank you so much for posting this procedure. My car is parked in the driveway, so I disabled the keyless entry. It is just too easy to take the vehicle with the relay method. My neighbor was outside. He must have wondered why I kept opening and closing the door and clicking unlock.

Last edited by robm; 01-19-24 at 04:01 PM.