GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Keyless entry installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 02:04 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry installation

Hello! I bought a 2017 Lexus GS300h, and it doesn't have keyless entry. However, you don't need to insert the key inside; the car starts with a button. Somebody know if it's possible to install keyless entry in my car and what's required for that?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-23, 05:50 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, there is no way your hybrid 2017 Lexus doesn't have keyless entry.
Can you lock the door keyless by tapping the little indent on the handle?

To unlock you just touch the inside of the door handle, it should unlock and you can pull open.
If its not working on the drivers door, test it on the other doors, they should all have it.
Old 11-05-23, 06:29 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

When you start the car with the push button is the key in your pocket, or are you holding it near the push button?

There's apparently a way to disable the wireless entry and push start (where the key is in your pocket) such that you can only open with manually pushing the button on the wireless transmitter, and having to hold the key near the push start button.

But yea, it's weird that your car would not have keyless entry. Make sure you also check all fuses related to "Smart Entry".
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fuse-bo...012-2017-fuses
Old 11-06-23, 03:36 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

If you press few seconds on both lock and unlock on remote it flashes like 4 times apparently disables smart entry. You can press again and it enables. This options is for some reasons like it saves the remote power so it doesnt constantly emit radio waves. Also can protect from relay atacks and get the car stolen, by relaying the signal from your house to your car with a special antena.
Old 11-06-23, 07:27 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The pressing of both lock and unlock buttons on the wireless transmitter should be how you change between All doors unlock and Driver door unlock mode.

For entry cancel, you start with the car off, and driver door closed and unlocked.
Then you press the unlock button on wireless transmitter, and open driver door within 5 seconds. Once the door is open, press the unlock button on the transmitter two times within 5 seconds.
**Then, you close and open the driver door twice (ending with an open door).
**Then you press unlock button on the transmitter two times.
**Then you close and open the driver door once (ending with an open door).
Then you close the door (within 5 seconds).

The sequence of steps marked with ** has to be completed within 30 seconds.

If it "worked", the car will beep. It will beep twice when keyless entry and push start have been disabled, and beep once when the system is active again.

Granted, if the whole keyless system was disabled, the keyless (having key in your pocket) push to start should also be disabled, requiring you to put the key close to the button to start.
​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
robm (01-19-24)
Old 11-06-23, 09:06 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Youre right. The remote power saving mode is enabled by holding lock key and clicking unlock twice. Then it flashes to confirm that its enabled. But this mode cancels immediately when you press any key , so it cant be the cause. Maybe some cars dont have keyless entry. I’ve never even heard of gs300h maybe its a trim in another country and it doesnt have some options
Old 11-06-23, 11:56 AM
Rozman
9th Gear

Okay, thank you for the answers I will test it when I pick up my car from the paint shop. I don't know what the door handle should look like on the facelift version, but I've seen it before the facelift, and there's a special indentation where you need to place your finger to open the door. I don't have it.

The car starts with the key in my pocket.
Old 11-06-23, 01:38 PM
gaki
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Please post pics.
Old 11-06-23, 06:07 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by gaki
Please post pics.
Yep, definitely need pics of keyfob, interior, ignition button, and door handles.
Old 11-06-23, 09:57 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

The indentation on the handle is only for locking the door. Like I said before, to unlock you just hold the handle like normal, the sensor is on the inside of the handle where you fingers will be. It should unlock and then you pull to open the door.
Old 11-08-23, 04:01 AM
Rozman
9th Gear

It seems like there's absolutely nothing on my door handles. All handles are the same.

Old 11-08-23, 04:08 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

wow.
So what's the repainting for, was it in an accident? Could they be replacement handles?

I guess you have the doors apart a fair bit to remove the handles, you could check inside if there is a harness that's not plugged in, in the area.
idk but you might be able to add the keyless entry handles if the rest of the harness is already there.
Old 11-08-23, 04:34 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
wow.
So what's the repainting for, was it in an accident? Could they be replacement handles?

I guess you have the doors apart a fair bit to remove the handles, you could check inside if there is a harness that's not plugged in, in the area.
idk but you might be able to add the keyless entry handles if the rest of the harness is already there.
"I bought a car, and it was in good condition, but the body had some minor scratches, so I decided to refresh it with a repaint.

Alright, I'll visit the paintshop and check if there are cables going to the handles. But as I understand, if there are no cables there, it would be quite problematic to install them, right? The car suits me, but the lack of keyless entry is a disaster for me ))"
Old 11-08-23, 04:36 PM
Rozman
9th Gear

"And then I'll take more photos of the key fob, the interior, and the start button."
Old 11-08-23, 04:50 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

Someone on here would have the wiring diagrams, maybe EAST, without them it would be hard to know what modules etc are needed.
Sadly, I would assume that its probably an expensive and time consuming task to switch everything over if its not already there.
It might be worth if you found a wrecked one, one that has been rear-ended or something similar would have all the functioning parts but you would have to do a bunch of research. but yeah I would guess is a decent job.

Honestly I'm very surprised that you car seemingly doesn't have it. seems like a really weird feature to be missing from a car that is not a base model. gs300h is a high-mid range model. Maybe there is some funny regional stuff happening.

Best case is that the wiring is there, and you can just get some handles with the sensors in them to put on it.

Does you car have the little puddle lights under the mirrors. and if the car is locked and you stand beside it do they come on and light up the ground? If so then I would have to assume the car has the correct modules for detecting the key is next to it. But honestly im just guessing at this point, would need the wiring diagram to fully know.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry installation