GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Yet Another Tire Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 10:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,926 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Thanks for the math. Naturally that coverage is based on the fact that on average they pay out less than they take in. So you have to decide if you're going to be the person that gets a higher payout vs. the extended warranty cost.
Old 12-05-23, 11:18 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Thanks for the math. Naturally that coverage is based on the fact that on average they pay out less than they take in. So you have to decide if you're going to be the person that gets a higher payout vs. the extended warranty cost.
Exactly - it's basically like all insurance and folks opinions on it will likely come down to their general risk tolerances.

My main interest was getting others opinions and to see if any one had purchased it (especially on an AWD) and how well their experience went with getting all the tires replaced. If it wasn't for prorating the 3 good tires I likely wouldn't even consider it - the price vs the payback are way too close IMO without that.

I also just hadn't seen/experienced a program like this either so I was curious.
Old 12-09-23, 07:48 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Have owned Michelin - Conti - Bridgestone - bought the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 exactly 1 yr ago - per all the positive and favorable comments on this Forum - BEST overall tire I have ever owned!
Old 12-12-23, 11:50 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

My new to me 2020 GS450h came with different branded cheapy tyres.

Anyone recommend a summer performance tyres that are quiet and gives great grip in the wet? I'm not racing, so I don't need a super sticky tyre that needs heat to get the best out of them.

My previous daily I was last running Falken FK510 and they were perfect for a summer high performance daily and can handle the 550Nm of instant torque for the Q50 hybrid. I did burn through a few of set of the Falken. The OEM on the Q50 hybrid were Dunlop runflats and they were awful.

If I remember correctly the Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres where double the price of the Falken but I don't think its double the performance of the Falken.

We don't have snow here, so its summer high performance tyres all year round.
Old 12-12-23, 05:31 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Another question I have for folks who purchase through Discount Tire....

Has anyone purchased and used Discount's "Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement"? Last time I did tires I don't remember this even existing.

This basically seems to be an even better Road Hazard Warranty above and beyond the normal one that's included when you buy tires from Discount. For the Pirellis in the size above it runs $38/tire - about $152 for the set.

I opted not to do it at the time of purchase or today when they were installed but it can be added for 30 days.

The thing that was a bit intriguing to me was how the program supposedly works on a car with AWD. In the scenario where one tire had irreparable damage (like a side wall puncture) you would get:

1 tire fully replaced with the same tire (under standard warranty this tire would usually be prorated)
3 remaining good tires would be prorated (under standard warranty these tires do not get prorated - you would need to pay to replace all 3 at the normal price)

On an FWD or RWD car I likely wouldn't purchase - it's easy enough to replace two and be done. I've actually had the above scenario on a different AWD car but luckily the tires were close enough to needing replacement it wasn't a big deal.

Note - this is what I was told, I have not read this in the actual contract (but I trust the guys at the Discount I go to). They also said that in a situation where there was no Discount near by and you had to buy a tire they would refund you that amount as well.
As a previous Discount Tire employee from 2000 to 2010, I can tell you that getting the road hazard warranty pays for itself completely (All 4 tires) if you have to use it for just one tire. You are correct in saying that if the tire you buy has a manufacturer mileage warranty and the tires wear out prematurely, they will be pro-rated off mileage received vs mileage advertised. Any damage from foreign road debris as cuts punctures or any flat that can't be repaired because of shoulder damage and or heat ringed (driving on a tire while pressure is below a certain psi to the detriment of the sidewall) are not covered by Discount Tire but by the vehicle owner. If Road Hazard warranty was purchased for tires, any and all above aforementioned scenarios would be covered 100% with a new tire. I'm not sure what the current protocol is for AWD vehicles with proration and Road Hazard polices. But as is and always has been, flats and rotations are always free no matter if the tire was purchased through Discount/America's tire co. Hope this helps in anyway and please ask me if I didn't cover something above 👍🏻
Old 12-12-23, 06:41 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1

Anyone recommend a summer performance tyres that are quiet and gives great grip in the wet? I'm not racing, so I don't need a super sticky tyre that needs heat to get the best out of them.

My previous daily I was last running Falken FK510 and they were perfect for a summer high performance daily and can handle the 550Nm of instant torque for the Q50 hybrid. I did burn through a few of set of the Falken. The OEM on the Q50 hybrid were Dunlop runflats and they were awful.

If I remember correctly the Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres where double the price of the Falken but I don't think its double the performance of the Falken.

Take a look at the Michelin Pilot A/S.
The following users liked this post:
gripau1 (12-13-23)
Old 12-12-23, 06:57 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1

I did a quick lookup of average daily highs and lows for NWS in July and what I saw was that it gets down into the mid 40s most days there. That's right at the line of where the summer tires can greatly lose traction because the compounds get hard like plastic at that temp. Even without snow, that can cause a significant difference in something like stopping distance in an emergency situation. Obviously you know you're exact location/weather better than I could assume just from looking at typical averages online - just something to consider.
Old 12-13-23, 01:19 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I did a quick lookup of average daily highs and lows for NWS in July and what I saw was that it gets down into the mid 40s most days there. That's right at the line of where the summer tires can greatly lose traction because the compounds get hard like plastic at that temp. Even without snow, that can cause a significant difference in something like stopping distance in an emergency situation. Obviously you know you're exact location/weather better than I could assume just from looking at typical averages online - just something to consider.
Thanks @LexusGSboy , our winters are mild, 5DegC (41F) on the really coldest nights to 18DegC (65F) during the day. I do take into consideration that the tyres are not at their optimal operating range in winters and drive accordingly.
Old 12-14-23, 10:43 AM
theavilal
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I have a set of these Pilot all-season tires that I switched out for the Pilot 4S. The performance is phenomenal; I don't miss the 4S as much as I thought I would. My one complaint is that there is considerably more vibration with the A/S compared to the 4S at higher speeds (90+), but it's smooth in the 70-80 range.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (12-14-23)