Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23 | 09:14 AM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Default What would you pay?

2013 GS350 F Sport in starfire pearl
86k miles
spotless
No accidents they say (still have to verify)

In the midwest and they're asking 22k for it.

For a few grand more i could get a newer one but this one does seem mint.

Just wanted to get your opinions because i was thinking it's closer to an 18k vehicle private party
Old 12-01-23 | 10:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tubthumpin
2013 GS350 F Sport in starfire pearl
86k miles
spotless
No accidents they say (still have to verify)

In the midwest and they're asking 22k for it.

For a few grand more i could get a newer one but this one does seem mint.

Just wanted to get your opinions because i was thinking it's closer to an 18k vehicle private party
I think $22k is about right for the asking price if it is clean and has been well cared for and is in excellent used-car condition for a ~12 year-old car with 86k miles - and $18k is about right for a private party selling it.
Old 12-01-23 | 10:28 AM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think $22k is about right for the asking price if it is clean and has been well cared for and is in excellent used-car condition for a ~12 year-old car with 86k miles - and $18k is about right for a private party selling it.
I'm confused. It is a a private party selling it and they're asking 22k. By your last statement you'd contradict your first .. if i'm reading this right lol maybe i'm dumb

I don't believe he's willing to go lower than 20k

Last edited by tubthumpin; 12-01-23 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-01-23 | 10:40 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I keeping saying this over and over again. The book values are where you start on pricing. Next you have the car checked out on a lift. Then you have the actual value depending on the results to negotiate over. A test ride is not going to tell you if 3 major things are wrong that are not the engine or transmission. This is my opinion on should I pay, or is this a good price?
Old 12-01-23 | 10:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm confused. It is a a private party selling it and they're asking 22k. By your last statement you'd contradict your first .. if i'm reading this right lol maybe i'm dumb

I don't believe he's willing to go lower than 20k
You did not say in your opening comment a private party was selling for $22k so I figured a dealer had it priced at $22k.

Only later did you give your opinion about a private party so I thought you just meant that 'if' a private party was selling it, the price should be about $18k - using it as in a bargaining chip/tactic.

You should have stated up front it was a private party wanting $22k.

What I advised about pricing stands...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-01-23 at 01:43 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 12-01-23 | 10:56 AM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
You did not say in your opening comment a private party was selling for $22k so I figured a dealer had it priced it as $22k.

Only later did you give your opinion about a private party so I thought you just meant that'if' a private party was selling it, the price should be about $18k - using it as in a bargaining chip/tactic.

You should have stated up front it was a private party wanting $22k.

What I advised about pricing stands...
i went back and read my post. You're absolutely right. Apologies

Yea so, he's a private party and has it listed for 22k which i think is a tad overkill and just wanted opinions. Thanks for yours
Old 12-01-23 | 11:13 AM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
I keeping saying this over and over again. The book values are where you start on pricing. Next you have the car checked out on a lift. Then you have the actual value depending on the results to negotiate over. A test ride is not going to tell you if 3 major things are wrong that are not the engine or transmission. This is my opinion on should I pay, or is this a good price?
I'm just trying to get opinions on the price per condition assuming everything else checks out of course thats just standard practice when buying a used car. I didn't think i needed to say "went to mechanic he looked at it, it's mint," blah blah..

Assuming that's all out of the way is 22k private party fair? My gut say's no and the amount of time it's been listed say's no so i just wanted some fellow CL opinions on the price not my due diligence
Old 12-01-23 | 11:54 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If it's been listed for a while (say over 2 months), then 22k is NOT worth it, so come in at a lower price and haggle. It's business, not personal.

As far as what it's worth... that depends, what is it worth to YOU? If you can't easily find another lower mileage, mint example locally. Then that's worth something. If it's got the color and specs YOU like... that's worth something. If that number is 22k, then that's what you should pay.

(Figure, if you had to fly out of state, drive 10 hours to bring something back, what's that drama going to cost you. Figure, if it's got an ugly color, do you really want to walk up to something you don't like everyday? Figure, you really wanted a heated steering wheel, which this one has let's say, do you really want to save a few bucks and drive a car w/o a heated steering wheel and always wished you had it?).

I paid asking for my GS450h because in that case, there were none in that condition, with all the options I wanted, anywhere in the US (and there still isn't). There were also 3 other people across the nation that were asking about it and one even paid for a PPI. I just happened to be local to this dealer, had the cash, and they agreed to sell to me. Could I have waited and bought something else maybe to save a grand or two, probably. But I've put 20k miles on it in 8 months.. and it's been the most pleasurable (and economically luxurious) driving experience I've had in ages. So it was worth it to me to pay a premium for it.

Your bargaining chip would be that it might have been listed for a while, so maybe ask for less. But would you regret it if "this one got away" just so you could save 1k? or whatever?

The following 2 users liked this post by lockedlex:
greys0uled (12-01-23), LexusGSboy (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23 | 12:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm just trying to get opinions on the price per condition assuming everything else checks out of course thats just standard practice when buying a used car. I didn't think i needed to say "went to mechanic he looked at it, it's mint," blah blah..

Assuming that's all out of the way is 22k private party fair? My gut say's no and the amount of time it's been listed say's no so i just wanted some fellow CL opinions on the price not my due diligence
Again it could be worth XX,XXX if you don't know. No 2 used car are ever alike. Same miles and all, not the same still. May not be what you wanted to hear. Do you know about the possible Servo motor problems? Or any other? If it's perfect no accidents, does not need brakes or tires. Service history looks good. It's worth $22k. They are selling for that right now.

What I am telling you is if you want it. Ask to have it checked out at a Toyota or Lexus Dealer before you start on price with them.
Old 12-01-23 | 12:58 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

I would tend to echo a lot of what @lockedlex said - a lot of buying a car (especially used) comes down to how much it's worth to you. We all want to get a good deal but at the same time, you need to be willing to lose the car by sticking to a price.

I had to go a little higher than I would have hoped but spread out over the time I've owned the car a couple grand isn't much.

Obviously if you don't have 22k you don't have it. So there's your answer.

If you really want a '13-'15 - they're only getting older and fewer. This one seems to have pretty low miles for it's age.

If you really want Starfire Pearl - how man of those are out there and then how many seem to have low miles and are in good shape.

Does this one have everything you really want or are you settling? If you're settling, how much are you settling. I really really wanted a Lux but those are so hard to find. I love my F Sport and was able to swap out the wheels for the lux wheels. The only thing I might still wish I had is the better front seats (specifically passenger) but I almost always drive so it's not an issue. I loved the idea of all heated seats and rear controls but as others point out - those get used almost never.

Also depends how far it might be from you - you say midwest, you seem to be in Nebraska?? so it seems like it's not too far from you so that too could make this easier and worth paying a little more.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23 | 01:12 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Unless this an F Sport that's loaded with rare options (HUD, DRS, etc.) $22K is way too much for a 2013, IMO.

Around this time two years ago I paid $20K for my 2014 with 103K miles and even I think overpaid ~1K, but it was the spec I really wanted.

Keep in mind 2013 cars miss minor features like power folding mirrors, rear cross path detection, auto heated/cooled seats that 2014+ cars got.

In your case OP, I would pay no more than $19K. I hope I could be of help.

Last edited by greys0uled; 12-01-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-01-23 | 02:53 PM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Unless this an F Sport that's loaded with rare options (HUD, DRS, etc.) $22K is way too much for a 2013, IMO.

Around this time two years ago I paid $20K for my 2014 with 103K miles and even I think overpaid ~1K, but it was the spec I really wanted.

Keep in mind 2013 cars miss minor features like power folding mirrors, rear cross path detection, auto heated/cooled seats that 2014+ cars got.

In your case OP, I would pay no more than $19K. I hope I could be of help.
Thanks for this. I will probably pass on it.
Old 12-01-23 | 02:56 PM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lockedlex
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If it's been listed for a while (say over 2 months), then 22k is NOT worth it, so come in at a lower price and haggle. It's business, not personal.

As far as what it's worth... that depends, what is it worth to YOU? If you can't easily find another lower mileage, mint example locally. Then that's worth something. If it's got the color and specs YOU like... that's worth something. If that number is 22k, then that's what you should pay.

(Figure, if you had to fly out of state, drive 10 hours to bring something back, what's that drama going to cost you. Figure, if it's got an ugly color, do you really want to walk up to something you don't like everyday? Figure, you really wanted a heated steering wheel, which this one has let's say, do you really want to save a few bucks and drive a car w/o a heated steering wheel and always wished you had it?).

I paid asking for my GS450h because in that case, there were none in that condition, with all the options I wanted, anywhere in the US (and there still isn't). There were also 3 other people across the nation that were asking about it and one even paid for a PPI. I just happened to be local to this dealer, had the cash, and they agreed to sell to me. Could I have waited and bought something else maybe to save a grand or two, probably. But I've put 20k miles on it in 8 months.. and it's been the most pleasurable (and economically luxurious) driving experience I've had in ages. So it was worth it to me to pay a premium for it.

Your bargaining chip would be that it might have been listed for a while, so maybe ask for less. But would you regret it if "this one got away" just so you could save 1k? or whatever?
I appreciate this reply. Thank you

I think i'm going to hold out for a 2014 or 2015 and just be patient and not worry too much about saving a couple thousand if it's the right one
Old 12-04-23 | 06:50 PM
Doge2021
Rookie

If you're willing to spend $22k, why not spend the extra $3-$6k and get a 2016+? 2013 is too dated IMO to buy in 2023, going in to 2024.
Old 12-04-23 | 08:00 PM
tubthumpin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doge2021
If you're willing to spend $22k, why not spend the extra $3-$6k and get a 2016+? 2013 is too dated IMO to buy in 2023, going in to 2024.

that's exactly what I did. Picking up a 2018 F sport atomic silver for 27k OTD

super stoked I waited and kept looking
The following 2 users liked this post by tubthumpin:
AJLex19 (12-05-23), greys0uled (12-05-23)

Quick Reply: What would you pay?