GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mirror issues damaged or broken please help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 02:57 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mirror issues damaged or broken please help?

Hi everyone i have my car, unfortunately my car comes from the heat sunny texas,
and other states, unfortunately my mirrors are blurry and also mechanism is broken i made small video can someone watch it and advice what i should do, should i replace glass only or whole mirror or please advice i cannot DRIVE THAT way,
2-3 people also confirmed and tried to drive the car today, none was able to see from the mirrors...
mirrors are cleaned and regulated so issue is in other place.
On my previous car gs450h mirrors was great perfectly visible also with the same blind spot monitoring system.

please see, the video and tell me what do you think.

Car in question is lexus gs 350 from usa face lift 2016-2017 year .

Last edited by bladest; 12-13-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 09:48 AM
EAST
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

There's no sound in your video, so can't tell if it's grinding or something. Would have to see if there is a reinitialization procedure to have it learn it's position.

If not, I see to recall a post on the forum (don't remember if IS or GS) where someone was able to source the motor and just replaced that. If that's feasible then just replacing the mirror glass would be possible.
Old 12-15-23, 09:51 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by EAST
There's no sound in your video, so can't tell if it's grinding or something. Would have to see if there is a reinitialization procedure to have it learn it's position.

If not, I see to recall a post on the forum (don't remember if IS or GS) where someone was able to source the motor and just replaced that. If that's feasible then just replacing the mirror glass would be possible.
Hi , the main issue is the glass is blurry....
nothing is visible on both mirrors can it be the heat damaged them badly?
on my gs450h mirrors was amazing never had an issue....
what do you mean with reinitialization procedure mirrors fold with the button but.... glass is electrohromatic may be its damaged or something due to the high heat car have been over the years ? how i can find out if glass of the mirror is bad? is there a light test or something.
Old 12-15-23, 10:04 AM
EAST
Advanced

You listed 2 issues.

1) Broken folding mechanism. I was saying it's not apparent from your video if it is grinding or what it's doing when the mirrors attempt to open. I thought there might be some reinitialization procedure to have the mirrors relearn the open and closed position. Similar to your side windows have to relearn position for auto up/down when you change battery.

It was just a thought. It's possible a gear may be stripped. There should be a bread around here that talks about getting to the motor.

2) Hazy mirror. It looks like they're heat damaged? Maybe the defrost got stuck on? They should be replaceable. You can see in the threads about LED upgrade for mirror puddle lights how to remove the mirror.

Old 12-15-23, 10:07 AM
bladest
Instructor

The first issue is , when i push mirror it doesnt hold it automatically returns to me, not sure if this is by default or my mirrors are broken and 2nd issue visibility is very very poor non existing of these mirrors extremely blurry.

Thanks my mirrors are heated and also with blind spot monitor system should i replace glass only or whole mirrors.
Old 12-15-23, 11:55 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
The first issue is , when i push mirror it doesnt hold it automatically returns to me, not sure if this is by default or my mirrors are broken...
With as little as you pushed it... yeah, it's going to spring back. Yeah, maybe your other car wasn't like this, but from what I see it's totally normal. Move it further, it'll stay.

Thanks my mirrors are heated and also with blind spot monitor system should i replace glass only or whole mirrors.
It's possible to replace just the glass with BSM. It's about $300/side in the USA, so best of luck with the hit on your wallet that'll be where you are.

Some of the connectors are stiff to get off on the back of the glass. You can do all of it yourself, or pay someone else.

Take a picture of how the wires are ran to the black connectors, then copy that to the new glass and you'll save yourself some headache
Old 12-15-23, 11:59 AM
bladest
Instructor

My previous car was gs 450 year 2012 this one is 2016 face lift gs 350. but i think mirrors are the same same with blind spot monitoring and heating.I cant replace the glass but i will pay to someone to replace it of course, i want to ask , in case glass is replaced do the mirrors needs to be calibrated once again because of BLIND SPOT monitoring system or thats needed only when the whole mirror is replaced or?
thanks for the tip with the picture.
Old 12-15-23, 03:27 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

My previous car was gs 450 year 2012 this one is 2016 face lift gs 350. but i think mirrors are the same same with blind spot monitoring and heating.I cant replace the glass but i will pay to someone to replace it of course, i want to ask , in case glass is replaced do the mirrors needs to be calibrated once again because of BLIND SPOT monitoring system or thats needed only when the whole mirror is replaced or?
thanks for the tip with the picture.
They do not need to be calibrated in any way for BSM, heating, or folding features.

The BSM indicator on the mirror is just a light. Data comes from your parking sensors on the car, the car then illuminates the light in the mirror if there is a car in your blind spot.
Old 12-15-23, 03:49 PM
bladest
Instructor

i think definetely something is not right with my mirrors.

my left mirror returns right one doesnt return automatically when i push it, also right one have different glass compared to the left one on the right one is written objects are closer than they seem something like that...

i have made a brand new video. Can someone compare my mirrors with your mirrors , are they like mine in term of glass left doesnt have this signature and its auto returning right doesnt return auto.

i think both mirrors should be the same doing the same and left and right should not have this label objects are closer ...... on my previous gs i dont have this , do this mean that my mirrors was replaced with chinese or something in the paste?
Old 12-15-23, 09:06 PM
EAST
Advanced

It's normal for message to be on one side. It's because both mirrors are difference style. Like when you use wide angle one your phone, it distorts the image towards the edge. Here, cars may look far away but really closer.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/heres-...n-they-appear/

If price is an issue, it seems there's more affordable options that have BSM indicator light and heated, but no auto dark. They are not OEM though.

Looking at your recent video I think you should try your test pushing them more. If you see the videos I linked for the mirror glass removal, you can push the mirrors all the way forward if you need.

Last edited by EAST; 12-15-23 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-16-23, 05:30 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by EAST
It's normal for message to be on one side. It's because both mirrors are difference style. Like when you use wide angle one your phone, it distorts the image towards the edge. Here, cars may look far away but really closer.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/heres-...n-they-appear/

If price is an issue, it seems there's more affordable options that have BSM indicator light and heated, but no auto dark. They are not OEM though.

Looking at your recent video I think you should try your test pushing them more. If you see the videos I linked for the mirror glass removal, you can push the mirrors all the way forward if you need.
i have investigated further sign objects are closer..... on my right mirror i think its used for all american cars for european car same model doesnt have this ...
but issues remains.
Left Mirror when i push it returns/springs back it doesnt hold position.
right mirror is little bit better may be this mechanism which is returning back needs to be fixed repaired or greased ?
Can someone make video if your mirrors returning like mine... i think they should stay fixed.

I am talking about the main plastic body where glass sits, the issue is automatically springs back.... i dont think thats normal i dont remember that on my previous gs 450h i never had such issues...
can it be heat dried somehow mechanism or something ? can someone please make a video so i can compare with mine if yours are returning automatically like mine? The thing is i cant see anything .
Old 12-16-23, 06:48 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

[QUOTE=bladest;11631933
I am talking about the main plastic body where glass sits, the issue is automatically springs back.... [/QUOTE]

My god, does it stay put while you're driving? Yes? GREAT! Then it's not a problem!

Does it swing towards the front of the car when you got the brakes hard? No? Great! Not a problem.

The only issue is that you have an issue with a non-issue. Move the mirror halfway from where it normally sits to all the way forward on the car and see if it springs back. Guess what?! It won't.
Old 12-16-23, 11:53 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
My god, does it stay put while you're driving? Yes? GREAT! Then it's not a problem!

Does it swing towards the front of the car when you got the brakes hard? No? Great! Not a problem.

The only issue is that you have an issue with a non-issue. Move the mirror halfway from where it normally sits to all the way forward on the car and see if it springs back. Guess what?! It won't.
When mirrors, are not opened to their factory position and their maximum you cant adjust them properly, which leads of not been able to drive your car properly due to the lack of visibility... on both mirrors left and right.

I have no idea if these mechanisms can be fixed by simply lubrication or they need to be replaced in order to be returned to their factory specs..
Yes mirror stay put when car is driven, but 3 people tried to drive it so far and none was able to see anything from these mirrors and they are cleaned and adjusted so, their mechanism is kinda broken which attach plastic body to the car they need to be in up position not in the middle...

Move the mirror halfway from where it normally sits to all the way forward on the car and see if it springs back. Guess what?! It won't. - when mirror is moved from halfway to to where it sits normally unfortunately springs backs... at least mine.