GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wheel Spacers Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 01:03 PM
NineTwoCorrado
9th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers Question

I’m installing H&R DRM wheel spacers and I’m stuck on the front wheel install. How do I tighten the nuts onto the original studs without the disc spinning clockwise?

Not being able to keep the disc in place is keeping me from tightening the nuts to torque spec.

This is probably a super newb question but I want to be sure I have these safely installed.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-23, 02:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Your problem comes about because you're probably using a ratchet which entails the use of leverage applied to a bar/handle that is at a 90° angle to the nut you are trying to apply torque or twist force onto. Whereas if you chose to use a drill (e.g. electric, battery or pneumatic impact) that produces its torque or twisting force directly 'in-line' (as opposed to a diverging or off-axis 90° angle) with the nut you intend to tighten, you would not experience the entire brake rotor rotating as you tightened the nut because the torque/twisting force of a drill is directly 'in-line' with the nut, producing practically no leveraging force that would cause the entire brake rotor to rotate. Lever force vs. in-line force is divergent by 90 degrees. Force by leverage trumps in-line force every time.

You can use a long thick (preferably square) shanked screwdriver or a breaker bar or a jack bar to wedge against two studs or rotor cooling fin to scotch the brake rotor and prevent it from rotating as you tighten the nuts. Or, you can use something like a board or umbrella to depress the brake pedal and wedge the other end against the seat to keep the brake pedal depressed so the brake rotor doesn't rotate. Just be careful not to damage your seat cover material.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-16-23 at 06:07 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
NineTwoCorrado (12-15-23)
Old 12-16-23, 06:02 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

I guess this is drifting this topic but, I have a question maybe someone here could answer?! I'm a detail junkie with the RX and GS that I own. Every season prior to parking my GS for the winter I remove the wheels to detail and clean suspension components. Any ideas on keeping the aluminum hats on front RWD rotors clean. Brake dust and dirt permeate the hats and I've tried various chemicals to no avail. Other than sandblasting or dry ice cleaning would anyone know what might work?
Old 12-16-23, 08:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
I guess this is drifting this topic but, I have a question maybe someone here could answer?! I'm a detail junkie with the RX and GS that I own. Every season prior to parking my GS for the winter I remove the wheels to detail and clean suspension components. Any ideas on keeping the aluminum hats on front RWD rotors clean. Brake dust and dirt permeate the hats and I've tried various chemicals to no avail. Other than sandblasting or dry ice cleaning would anyone know what might work?
@charley95 - You really are a detail junkie if you want to do that!

Have you tried spraying on iron remover and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off? You can also use canned air (big can of compressed air a.k.a. Duster used to clean out PC cabinets and keyboards) to hit any crevices where the brake dust and dirt wedge. Your hats should be clean after that, or should I say about as clean as you're going to get them without removing the rotor to soak it in a vat then pressure cleaning it.

If you really want to polish then clean you might try a buffing wheel on a drill, using some metal polishing compound to remove the contaminates and to polish the metal. 'White Rouge' abrasive buffing compound is perfect for removing scratches and surface contaminates on soft non-ferrous metals like aluminum, gold, silver and copper.

I personally would not use sandblasting because it'll eat into the surface of the metal which would probably make the surface much more susceptible to retain/trap dust/dirt.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-16-23 at 09:01 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 12-16-23, 09:16 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Aren't the hats a rough aluminum casting? I just want to restore to the bright metal as they were new. Maybe I misunderstood what you said on polishing them?! That iron remover sounds like a good idea that I'll try.
Old 12-16-23, 12:10 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NineTwoCorrado

Not being able to keep the disc in place is keeping me from tightening the nuts to torque spec.
Have you tried asking someone to hold the brake pedal down as you tighten?
gripau1 (12-17-23)
Old 12-16-23, 12:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kietlander
That's not fair - that's too easy!
Old 12-16-23, 12:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kietlander
Maybe there's nobody around he trusts!

Old 12-16-23, 10:00 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Aren't the hats a rough aluminum casting? I just want to restore to the bright metal as they were new. Maybe I misunderstood what you said on polishing them?! That iron remover sounds like a good idea that I'll try.
Maybe a toothbrush and aluminum/metal polish, since it's a rough surface?
Old 12-17-23, 02:32 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

What size are the wheel spacers on the front and rear?
Do you have pictures of what it looks like?
Are you planning to lower the vehicle?
IMHO when extreme width wheel spacers are use they make the car look very cartoonish if the car is not lowered.
Old 12-17-23, 07:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@charley95 - Maybe you should invest in a Soda Blaster!

Old 12-17-23, 09:18 AM
charley95
Pole Position

That's a good idea too! Might be exactly what I need.
Old 12-17-23, 11:02 AM
NineTwoCorrado
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
Maybe there's nobody around he trusts!
Yep, noone around this weekend and I’d like to stay on “just waiving” terms with my neighbors.

I had already tried wedging the box the spacers came in between the seat and the brake pedal and even with the brake fully pressed (maybe it wasn’t), the disc still turned : /
bclexus (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 11:03 AM
NineTwoCorrado
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your problem comes about because you're probably using a ratchet which entails the use of leverage applied to a bar/handle that is at a 90° angle to the nut you are trying to apply torque or twist force onto. Whereas if you chose to use a drill (e.g. electric, battery or pneumatic impact) that produces its torque or twisting force directly 'in-line' (as opposed to a diverging or off-axis 90° angle) with the nut you intend to tighten, you would not experience the entire brake rotor rotating as you tightened the nut because the torque/twisting force of a drill is directly 'in-line' with the nut, producing practically no leveraging force that would cause the entire brake rotor to rotate. Lever force vs. in-line force is divergent by 90 degrees. Force by leverage trumps in-line force every time.

You can use a long thick (preferably square) shanked screwdriver or a breaker bar or a jack bar to wedge against two studs or rotor cooling fin to scotch the brake rotor and prevent it from rotating as you tighten the nuts. Or, you can use something like a board or umbrella to depress the brake pedal and wedge the other end against the seat to keep the brake pedal depressed so the brake rotor doesn't rotate. Just be careful not to damage your seat cover material.
Thanks, brotha.
bclexus (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 11:10 AM
NineTwoCorrado
9th Gear

Originally Posted by gripau1
What size are the wheel spacers on the front and rear?
Do you have pictures of what it looks like?
Are you planning to lower the vehicle?
IMHO when extreme width wheel spacers are use they make the car look very cartoonish if the car is not lowered.
Using 15mm front and 20mm rear. Agreed on your last point - practically every car I’ve own had coilovers installed but I promised my wife I wouldn’t touch the GS (fellas, learn from my mistake)! I just can’t stand the wheels being tucked so far in.

With the spacers installed the wheels look how I would expect they should have been stock. It could look so much better lowered, but I think it looks much better than before.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers Question