GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New GS owner, thanks to this forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 10:08 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

See post # 6. op says - "The up/down arrow switches are like totally stuck, they don't depress at all no matter how hard I push them, and the 'mode' button also was stuck(but unstuck itself after pushing it hard a few times).
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
JDR76 (12-19-23), Mangsailor (12-21-23)
Old 12-19-23, 11:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
See post # 6. op says - "The up/down arrow switches are like totally stuck, they don't depress at all no matter how hard I push them, and the 'mode' button also was stuck(but unstuck itself after pushing it hard a few times).
I have a really hard time imagining those steering wheel audio system control buttons being stuck - being stuck in the down position or stuck in the up position - unable to be depressed and complete its function (if that part of the system is working).

I don't think it takes much pressure for those control buttons to be activated. With some part of the system not working I could see someone thinking the control button wouldn't even depress and thinking the button is the cause.

You'd have to pour five bottles of super glue, three bottles of Gorilla Glue and four Coca-Colas on the steering wheel for that to happen. I just don't see it! I don't know why it stopped working, but I think resetting is needed.
Old 12-19-23, 08:18 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I suspect the dealer will fix the buttons for you if they are broken, especially since you bought the service plan from them and presumably will be a repeat customer for their service department. By the way, if you change your mind on the service plan, you can get a prorated refund on a lot of those. Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-20-23, 03:35 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Enjoy your beautiful GS. These are great cars!
Old 12-20-23, 04:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

@PhilTickelson - I was hoping you'd check back in this thread you started to let us know if the reset process was successful in getting your problem fixed and working again. Let us know how it stands...
Old 12-21-23, 01:33 PM
PhilTickelson
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have a really hard time imagining those steering wheel audio system control buttons being stuck - being stuck in the down position or stuck in the up position - unable to be depressed and complete its function (if that part of the system is working).

I don't think it takes much pressure for those control buttons to be activated. With some part of the system not working I could see someone thinking the control button wouldn't even depress and thinking the button is the cause.

You'd have to pour five bottles of super glue, three bottles of Gorilla Glue and four Coca-Colas on the steering wheel for that to happen. I just don't see it! I don't know why it stopped working, but I think resetting is needed.
I appreciate all the responses everyone! Sorry I haven't checked back in, it's been a busy few days at work/home!

I know it seems strange, and don't take this the wrong way, but I'm very aware of how the buttons should work lol. It's not that when they are being pressed it isn't performing the right 'action' or transmitting the right signal to the entertainment system, it's literally that you are not able to push them in. Stuck is the word to use here!

I was able to work on it a bit and I am able to press them in now, but they will stick(like if I hit the up arrow the button won't reset itself back to the 'neutral' unpressed state). It's obvious something is causing it to stick.

I called the dealer and they are going to take a look at it when I come back in to pickup the license plate holder and spare set of keys. There was no front license plate bracket on it so they ordered one(it's required in Minnesota, sad I know!).

I'll let everyone know the resolution, I feel pretty good though, since I was able to get it unstuck(took like A LOT more force than you'd think is required to get that thing to press in), I think it's likely just some residue or something causing it to stick inside.

Absolutely loving the car the, what an absolute joy to drive.
The following 5 users liked this post by PhilTickelson:
AJLex19 (12-21-23), bclexus (12-21-23), JDR76 (12-21-23), jgscott (12-21-23), Mangsailor (12-21-23)
Old 12-21-23, 06:22 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@PhilTickelson congrats on your GS! Glad to hear the dealer will take a look at these items - hopefully the sticky button is an easy fix. Post up some pics when you can!