GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RCTA 2013 GS Brainstorming Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 02:09 PM
Xanomoros
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCTA 2013 GS Brainstorming Ideas

I am creating this thread to brainstorm and figure out a way we can add RCTA to our 2013 GS models, I am sure it is possible, and I believe there is a module that would need to be added (possible plug and play) if the module is the same as the BSM module. I wouldn't be surprised if for the 2014 and newer models they made a BSM module that included RCTA (such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175681303166?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=A33UTbhcSVu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4wn1TS66R-y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY), if that is the case then the connecter may be slightly different and we will probably just need an adapter of some sort. Let's brainstorm and figure this out!

Last edited by Xanomoros; 12-24-23 at 03:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xanomoros:
GS2100 (01-14-24), Wanitive (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23, 02:52 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

What is RCTA? Links don't work.
Old 12-24-23, 03:29 PM
Xanomoros
10th Gear

Originally Posted by charley95
What is RCTA? Links don't work.
Rear Cross Traffic Alert, if someone is walking or driving behind you as you are backing out your car will alert you similar to BSM but with sound
Old 12-24-23, 06:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I think peasodos has already done this to his 2013 already.
Old 12-24-23, 11:30 PM
Xanomoros
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
I think peasodos has already done this to his 2013 already.
Do you have a link to that forum?
Old 01-20-24, 11:34 AM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have limited access to a 2014 GS350 parts car with BSM & parking sensors, my car is a 2013 GS350 Luxury package. I don't know if just because the 2014 has BSM & parking sensors it automatically has RCTA? Anyways I tried changing the parking sensor computer under the dash and I plugged in the 2014 front parking sensors to see if they would at least work they did not work. Any ideas on what the all that needs to be done or if we can just give power to the BSM when in reverse. What we would need to know is does the BSM operate the same when in RCTA mode as when in BSM mode? I'm sure we can figure this out.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (01-21-24)
Old 01-20-24, 11:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I think you just need the new Cross sensors. But idk? Are the part #'s the same for the non cross as the cross ones are?

@peasodos Can you tell him how you did this?

I think @Chungvatra did a very nice build with this also on his 13.

Last edited by jgscott; 01-20-24 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 12:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,561 Posts

@Xanomoros - I really like having RCTA. As soon as you put the car in reverse it senses movement to the sides of the vehicle's rear.

Many accidents happen when backing-up out of a parking space with cross traffic traveling behind you, so this feature is very worthwhile.

The RCTA radar sensors are installed on both sides of the vehicle near the rear bumper to detect vehicles approaching from the left side or right side of the vehicle's rear.

I think there are two RCTA sensors, one on each rear side located near the rear bumper.

Lexus Part# 88162-35010 I believe might be the correct module and it's cost is $1,000 retail and $700 discounted, but I think they are available on eBay, culled from wrecked vehicles for $175 to $500 each.

The alignment process is quite complex with the use of jigs and Techstream to get the angular alignment of the sensors within specs, as shown in the video in my next post.

I presume newer models of the Lexus GS might have the BSM module linked via harness to the two RCTA sensor/modules since RCTA is automatically activated whenever the BSM is turned On. But newer models of the GS have a much different and more elaborate instrumentation operation for various features compared to the early 4th Gen GS.

I cannot imagine adding and employing the RCTA feature in an early 4th Gen GS to engage and function like a newer model GS with the RCTA feature.

I hope this and the following posts (with videos) help you.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-21-24 at 12:34 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 01-20-24, 12:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-20-24, 01:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-21-24, 12:30 PM
GS2100
Driver

Hey Guys so let put some guidelines on WHAT I PLAN on doing YOU can do what you want to do as everybody has their own opinion and people like chiming in nonsense that has nothing to do with the OP's main objective of achieving RCTA in a 2013 Lexus GS350!

First I will try to focus the 2014-2015 model years for the RCTA as it is the closest to the 2013 GS350.
I have narrowed down to 2 part numbers for the Blind spot monitors both are used with the RCTA system, Also not every USDM Lexus GS350 that was equipped with blind spot and parking also had RCTA by default. second I'm looking up all the computer modules related to the RCTA & parking sensors and comparing them to the 2013 model year to get an idea of everything that needs to be swapped and what wires need to be rerouted or added.

having worked with similar systems before I can can tell you the Blind spot radars used for RCTA are omni directional vs the regular blind spot radars are just directional.
that is mainly the reason for all the extra computer modules. Honestly if going the oem route proves too much work I'm just going to get the radars mount them connect to a microcontroller and then the sky's the limit with that.

By the way Lexus Part# 88162-35010 is NOT the related to the Lexus GS350. Its for a Toyota 4Runner.

Please guys double check your numbers, sources and all information before posting as this is hard enough. Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS2100:
bloodbean (01-23-24), jgscott (01-21-24)
Old 01-21-24, 12:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2100
Hey Guys so let put some guidelines on WHAT I PLAN on doing YOU can do what you want to do as everybody has their own opinion and people like chiming in nonsense that has nothing to do with the OP's main objective of achieving RCTA in a 2013 Lexus GS350!

First I will try to focus the 2014-2015 model years for the RCTA as it is the closest to the 2013 GS350.
I have narrowed down to 2 part numbers for the Blind spot monitors both are used with the RCTA system, Also not every USDM Lexus GS350 that was equipped with blind spot and parking also had RCTA by default. second I'm looking up all the computer modules related to the RCTA & parking sensors and comparing them to the 2013 model year to get an idea of everything that needs to be swapped and what wires need to be rerouted or added.

having worked with similar systems before I can can tell you the Blind spot radars used for RCTA are omni directional vs the regular blind spot radars are just directional.
that is mainly the reason for all the extra computer modules. Honestly if going the oem route proves too much work I'm just going to get the radars mount them connect to a microcontroller and then the sky's the limit with that.

By the way Lexus Part# 88162-35010 is NOT the related to the Lexus GS350. Its for a Toyota 4Runner.

Please guys double check your numbers, sources and all information before posting as this is hard enough. Thank you.
Keep us informed. Best of luck with it!
Old 01-21-24, 01:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I hope someone who has already made this work responds. Lexus really short changed the 4th Gen GS U.S. produced cars. My 13 ES350 U/L had the Cross standard. Also had the Electric power trunk standard in addition to other features that were not on my GS350 with the Luxury package, GS even model year 13 - 20. Cross should have been standard 13 -20, along with others things, like the Lux seats also.

Another U. S. short change example is the GS F. In Canada it comes loaded with Rear climate armrest controls, rear heated seats, power trunk, Rear sunshade, and more just like the GS350 Luxury package. The U.S. GS F got stripped of all those things, yet it was about a $90k stickered car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...3-gs-base.html

Mods:
  1. 16+ rear cross traffic alert retrofit

Old 01-22-24, 08:55 AM
GS2100
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Keep us informed. Best of luck with it!
BCLEXUS I wasn't aiming to discourage you from commenting. I'm sorry that I didn't paraphrase or structure my post correctly, the last thing I would want to do is hurt or wrong anybody especially a fellow Lexus Enthusiast. Please Accept my Apology.

My whole point was that a lot of times post's get misguided from the original purpose of the OP's objective with a lot of unrelated nonsense posts and I'm one of those folks that get easily distracted and that goes for everybody.

So Again Please Accept my Apology BCLEXUS.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 10:21 AM
Xanomoros
10th Gear

Awesome, please let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: RCTA 2013 GS Brainstorming Ideas