GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking for advice (Rotors and Brakes) issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 11:14 PM
ElChinoMayne
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice (Rotors and Brakes) issue

I recently purchased a 2015 Lexus GS F-Sport and noticed how loud my brakes were when stopping, upon further inspection I believe I have the wrong front rotors and brakes on my car. It seems like they put regular GS rotors in the car and when I tried swapping them out to the original OEM F-Sport rotors it hits the brake calibers. With the current set up I feel like it doesn’t get full contact therefore my braking power isn’t all where it should be. My mechanic said something is bent around the bore causing the OEM rotors to not fit correctly. So instead of the previous owner fixing the issue he went and got the regular GS rotors that are smaller and wouldn’t rub to get rid of the car now I’m stuck with the issue but I’d like to hear what you guys think of the situation and what I should do.

The vehicle was purchased online.
Old 12-28-23, 12:15 AM
Slickride
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your suspicion seems correct. That is a small rotor. The F-sport has 14" I believe. Are you putting on OEM pads on the new rotor? Mine aftermarket set up has been squealing and I am finally getting it replaced with OEMs hoping it will resolve this issue.
Old 12-28-23, 12:25 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There might be a difference in the caliper brackets that allow them to clear the F-Sport rotors.
Old 12-28-23, 12:30 AM
ElChinoMayne
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Slickride
Your suspicion seems correct. That is a small rotor. The F-sport has 14" I believe. Are you putting on OEM pads on the new rotor? Mine aftermarket set up has been squealing and I am finally getting it replaced with OEMs hoping it will resolve this issue.
yeah my goals to everything back to OEM to see if that helps the squealing and give me better braking power
Old 12-29-23, 01:28 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ElChinoMayne
yeah my goals to everything back to OEM to see if that helps the squealing and give me better braking power
Is your car awd or rwd? If it’s awd I believe they did not come with the 14” 2 piece rotors and larger calipers. So you probably have the correct rotors and caliper size.
Old 12-29-23, 01:32 PM
ElChinoMayne
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
Is your car awd or rwd? If it’s awd I believe they did not come with the 14” 2 piece rotors and larger calipers. So you probably have the correct rotors and caliper size.
It’s RWD. And when I went to lexus to get the parts I gave them my VIN
Old 12-29-23, 01:35 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slickride
Which aftermarket pads are you using and did you use the TSB Anti squeal shim kit (0494530340). I am using Akebono pads and they did squeal until I used the new shim kit. Give that a try before swapping out the pads
Old 12-29-23, 01:38 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

It’s RWD. And when I went to lexus to get the parts I gave them my VIN
One of the fixes lexus did when users complained about the brake noise was to put the regular rotors, calipers and pads from the non F sport to satisfy the customer, so maybe that’s what the original owner had done.
Old 12-29-23, 02:57 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

If the previous owner swapped out the calipers for the non-RWD F-sport ones, then you need to get the regular GS rotors(13"), not the 14". If I recall correctly, the physical caliper is the same between the RWD F-sport and all other GS models, but the knuckle is different for the RWD F-sport which is what allows the larger 14" rotors to be used.

I don't see how the "bore" could be bent.
Old 12-29-23, 03:01 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
One of the fixes lexus did when users complained about the brake noise was to put the regular rotors, calipers and pads from the non F sport to satisfy the customer, so maybe that’s what the original owner had done.
They replaced the 2-piece 14" with 1-piece 14" rotors. They don't just put the regular non-RWD F-sport rotors on it.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (12-29-23)
Old 02-08-24, 04:56 PM
AJ1968
1st Gear

Default I am having the same issue. Bought new rotors and pads.

I am having the same issue. Bought new rotors and pads. after I put them on, they squeal like crazy. I was told not to buy the most expensive so I went back and bought middle of the road brake pads I put them on and it’s still squeals. Is there anyway that my rotors could be causing this problem? I’ve done breaks numerous times in my life and I’ve never had this problem. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 02-08-24, 05:08 PM
ElChinoMayne
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AJ1968
I am having the same issue. Bought new rotors and pads. after I put them on, they squeal like crazy. I was told not to buy the most expensive so I went back and bought middle of the road brake pads I put them on and it’s still squeals. Is there anyway that my rotors could be causing this problem? I’ve done breaks numerous times in my life and I’ve never had this problem. Any help would be great. Thank you.
I bought new oem fsport rotors and pads and they don’t squeal anymore. The mechanic also threw on a shim kit for me as well to help with the squealing and it got rid of it completely
Old 02-08-24, 08:07 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ1968
The RWD F Sports are famous for squealing like a pig. A good, high carbon rotor with the TSB Advics pads and shims is about as good as it gets, IMO. The OE Textar pads are excellent but are often squeal problematic...
Use a little quality lube on the pad ears. My car now squeals just a little when cold but is quiet by the end of the block. I am not opposed to clean and re-lube the caliper pad assembly every 2 years or so...
Good luck.