GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Going back to stock springs—need advice and parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 04:04 PM
Charlie777
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fourgs
here are the pictures of manually turned dial. from factory it points to a yellow paint dot. I turned it towards driver. it just stays there.

So in the bottom pic, this is now manually set to the firmest position?
Old 02-18-24, 04:23 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

No its just proof of it holding the position that you set it.
the top picture is the default position. The default position is the firmest, its what car is programmed to when its set it for “17” . When car is parked its in firmest position.

Last edited by fourgs; 02-18-24 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 05:29 PM
Charlie777
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

No its just proof of it holding the position that you set it.
the top picture is the default position. The default position is the firmest, its what car is programmed to when its set it for “17” . When car is parked its in firmest position.
Gotcha, this is why I’m confused about default being the most firm/stiffest position. The stiffest position “should” be when that adjustment piece is parallel with the flat spots on the strut (Position C) but in your pic, it’s definitely in the position (Position B) which would be the Medium or Center position.

Old 02-18-24, 06:36 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

When taking off the actuator from shock you turn it to remove. It probably moves the dial when turning it.
Old 02-18-24, 06:40 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Any way seems that active manual control for full firm is not possible when driving. Since the dial will just remain where it was if you disconnect the fuse when you drive.
it will remain in position 5 if in normal, position 11 if in sport +, and full firm 17 if car parked.
Old 02-19-24, 06:27 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

also did driving with live data opened on techstream. car by default is always in firmest position. when off, when parked running, and when in drive but not moving, when you start driving above couple of miles it switches immediately to 5 on my car and in sport plus it swithces to 11 front 7 rear.

also filmed a video of the actuator when its removed ,

heres the actuator video. trigered by techstream to goo all positions.https://youtu.be/u3-dsp3wMmY
fourgs,
So for your 17 f sport awd, techstream confirms 11 front and 7 rear when in sport +. Question: Do you know anyone nearby (or even any for sale) 13-15 f sports that you would be able to verify with techstream any drive-mode parameter differences between the 4gs and 4.5gs. I have an 18 f sport awd, so I would assume our parameter figures (11F / 7R) would be the same in sport +. I have a feeling the 13-15 f sports have higher figures.
Old 02-19-24, 03:35 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

I dont know anyone nearby with a gs. If the avs module (on lexus parts online for example) has part number that is different than probably it had different tuning.
Old 02-19-24, 04:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbach1685
fourgs,
So for your 17 f sport awd, techstream confirms 11 front and 7 rear when in sport +. Question: Do you know anyone nearby (or even any for sale) 13-15 f sports that you would be able to verify with techstream any drive-mode parameter differences between the 4gs and 4.5gs. I have an 18 f sport awd, so I would assume our parameter figures (11F / 7R) would be the same in sport +. I have a feeling the 13-15 f sports have higher figures.
Yes, it would be interesting if the software mapping for the shock absorber valves is the same or different of the original 2013-15 and the facelifted 2016-20's.
Old 02-21-24, 09:40 PM
EAST
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

also did driving with live data opened on techstream. car by default is always in firmest position. when off, when parked running, and when in drive but not moving, when you start driving above couple of miles it switches immediately to 5 on my car and in sport plus it swithces to 11 front 7 rear....
You made me curious, and I took some measurements while doing an errand. My numbers are a little different than yours.

I have an 18 RWD.
Anything not Sport +: Once driving, it would mostly chill at 3 in all four corners. If I swerved back and forth within my lane, it would go up to 5, and sometimes 7 when taking a corner, but would try to default back to 3 when possible.
Sport +: It would default to 7 in front and 3 in rear. Any swerving within the lane would go through all the positions, up to 17.

I did a data log, but can't find a way to get the data to play out.
The following 2 users liked this post by EAST:
GrandSedanFan (05-21-24), peteharvey (02-21-24)
Old 02-22-24, 05:27 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EAST
You made me curious, and I took some measurements while doing an errand. My numbers are a little different than yours.

I have an 18 RWD.
Anything not Sport +: Once driving, it would mostly chill at 3 in all four corners. If I swerved back and forth within my lane, it would go up to 5, and sometimes 7 when taking a corner, but would try to default back to 3 when possible.
Sport +: It would default to 7 in front and 3 in rear. Any swerving within the lane would go through all the positions, up to 17.

I did a data log, but can't find a way to get the data to play out.
was driving in parking lot. Dont know about higher speeds. Is your luxury or f sport? Maybe it adapts to driver history also like the transmition
Old 02-22-24, 05:53 AM
EAST
Advanced

RWD FSport.
I have to get a better recording with the right parameters.

Yea that's a possibility about the historical values. I forgot to mention, this with an obd2 scanner. At least on my old laptop techstream updates like once ever few seconds, so data captures aren't as informative.

To me the more surprising was that it still did some dampening in nonSport plus mode.
​​​​​
Old 02-22-24, 05:55 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

was driving in parking lot. Dont know about higher speeds. Is your luxury or f sport? Maybe it adapts to driver history also like the transmition
That would be my first question too... Is EAST's 2018 RWD a Luxury or F-Sport? Btw, is Techstream a hardware device (i.e. factory scan tool) or a software program that can be used on any computer or tablet (i.e. iPad)? Regarding drive-mode software mapping, I guess I could inquire with my Lexus dealer and see if there are any technicians that have any knowledge of this? God knows I've spent enough $$$ there with all this suspension stuff. Is "Software Mapping" the correct terminology? Or perhaps "Drive Mode Programming." Do you know who I would love to ask: The Car Care Nut.

On another note, I continue to slowly get acclimated to stock suspension again. I'll probably never get used to the look--especially it being an AWD. I could probably deal with the stance of RWD.
I'd love to see what numbers show up on Techstream for my car. It should be the same as fourgs, but who the hell knows...
Old 02-22-24, 10:54 AM
EAST
Advanced

Techstream is the software. Officially, you can get it from Toyota as a subscription (yearly or 2day pass, I believe).

The hardware is an OBD2 to USB cable. There are a lot of clones of a Mongoose cable online. There's particular firmware versions that work with the newer cars. I know mine required me to run a VM to run Win XP because of the drivers. But I saw another thread elsewhere where someone got the driver's working on later versions of Windows. Or you can get the "actual" cable as well, likely less hassle.

Since it's USB, I don't see why you can't run on a Windows tablet with USB support.
Old 02-22-24, 10:58 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbach1685
Update (#3)
I finally got around to pulling the fuse to deactivate the AVS system. My
brother and I took a drive for about 50 miles. Holy crap!
If you want your GS to drive like a go-kart, then this is the setting for you. It is super firm and you feel everything. And I’m back with stock springs. I couldn’t imagine what it would’ve been like with the Swifts. It seriously felt like the car was half its size (vs. driving a boat). I wonder if this can be turned on/off while the car is on? I would run wires from the fuse box position, incorporate the fuse and an on/off toggle switch. Then you have 4 modes: Eco, Sport, Sport+ and KB (Kidney Buster). Lol…
why pull the fuse, couldn't you just unplug the connector at the actuator?
Old 02-22-24, 10:59 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I would also be curious if the system compensates over time for wearing parts, through the feedback loops involved. Example, car in a hard sweeping corner receives pitch, yaw, roll, and heave inputs. As parts break in and later wear, they will be more compliant. This is similar to how throttle bodies have a baseline % opening and a learned one, I would think. It's all fascinating and I want to comment that this thread has been a huge on information, and clarified a lot of assumptions so thanks for that.

Quick Reply: Going back to stock springs—need advice and parts