GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pads & rotors lifespan - base AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 02:26 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Pads & rotors lifespan - base AWD

Curious what mileage folks are getting out of their front and rear pads and rotors on their base AWD GS’s?

Another question - is everyone doing a fresh set of rotors when they replace their pads?

As always, thanks for the feedback
Old 12-31-23, 02:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Curious what mileage folks are getting out of their front and rear pads and rotors on their base AWD GS’s?

Another question - is everyone doing a fresh set of rotors when they replace their pads?

As always, thanks for the feedback
It depends how hard you drive.
For me, I drive very gently these days, so I get 2 sets of front pads for every 1 set of front rotors.
In other words, at the time of changing to the second set of pads, the front rotors still have plenty of rotor thickness above the manufacturer's specs.

However, by the time the third set of pads are fitted, the front rotors too thin, hence I match a brand new set of front rotors to the 3rd set of front brake pads.
All depends how hard you drive of course.
Drive hard, and you will have to replace the front rotors every time you replace the front pads.

For me, the rear rotors and pads last a long long time.
Btw, I have the RWD.
The AWD will have more engine braking, hence the front pads and rotors would theoretically last longer.
The brakes on the hybrid will last longest by far.
Old 01-03-24, 08:07 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are in the rust belt, the rotors will rust out around the same time your pads wear out. My brakes last about 50,000 miles (just over 100k now, and replaced twice).

If I was in the south, I'd probably be able to do what peteharvey mentioned (re-use rotors).
Old 01-03-24, 09:08 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

On my 2013 GS, front pads lasted me 38k while rears lasted me 48k. I always replaced the rotors at the same time because I felt vibrations. I did not check rotor thickness. I used OEM rotors and Akebono ceramic pads.

I live in western pa which is rough on brakes. Lots of hills, and snow and salt in winter.

I have not owned my 2017 long enough to know the lifespan of the pads because I’m not sure how much pad was left when I purchased it used, and I’ve only replaced front pads so far. Bought the car with 46k miles and just replaced the front brakes at 75k, but again, not sure how new the pads were when I purchased.
Old 01-03-24, 08:20 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I replaced pads and rotors with OEM parts at approximately 35000 miles, and will be replacing them again at 55000 miles, mostly due to their poor thermal performance. I can brake once from 75 down to 45 and exceed their heat performance, resulting in brake judder. I am considering Project Mu pads for my next set, as the factory pads are simply not suited to my driving style.
Old 01-04-24, 02:37 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

2016 GS350 AWD. Still running original rear pads and rotors all around at around 72k miles. Replaced the front brake pads at around 55k, if I am not mistaking. Didn't touch the front rotors, but recently I started noticing minor vibration when braking on highway speeds. So the front rotors might need to be replaced whenever I do the next brake pad change.
Old 01-04-24, 04:50 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I got ~45k miles out of the original front pads/rotors on my '13 AWD Premium. I did fresh front pads with the new rotors which were rusting and pitting. With 70k miles, still on my original pads (changed rotors once) for the rear.

Last edited by AJLex19; 01-09-24 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 07:33 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks all. Wanted to let this thread sit for a week to get some responses before responding myself. Appreciate the shared feedback.

Reason I asked is because during a recent visit to the dealership I was told the only other recommended service was the front rotors when I have the front pads done. The front pads are about 4mm, 4yrs old with 35,000 on them; the front rotors are 2.5yrs old with 20,000 on them. The front pads don’t surprise me, but the front rotor recommendation does. Perhaps they’re just pushing them at the same time as the pads.

I’ve always thought that Lexus rotors seem to wear quickly and rust easily. That is isn’t based on just my GS but rather five other Lexus’ in my family over the years. All of their rotors seemed to rust very quickly. But perhaps it’s just the nature of being on salted new england roads their entire lives and kept mostly outside.