GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Borla exhaust ASMR in the mountains - video

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 02:20 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been contemplating an aftermarket exhaust, but I can't seem to commit. I am afraid that I'll buy one, and it'll be annoyingly loud. Tough to judge from videos. Driving one in real life is the only way to tell.
Tanabe Revel is advertised as being under 93 dba, which is quite a bit louder than stock. Stock is 76 dba I believe. However, videos do indeed show a very close to stock sound 🤔
Not sure what Borla or Invidia adverse as
Old 01-07-24, 11:14 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 195 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by zheka130
I've been contemplating an aftermarket exhaust, but I can't seem to commit. I am afraid that I'll buy one, and it'll be annoyingly loud. Tough to judge from videos. Driving one in real life is the only way to tell.
Tanabe Revel is advertised as being under 93 dba, which is quite a bit louder than stock. Stock is 76 dba I believe. However, videos do indeed show a very close to stock sound 🤔
Not sure what Borla or Invidia adverse as
Tanabe is the most tame one there is, borla/invidia are close in the overall volume and a bit more loud than Tanabe. I also didnt want a constant noise while driving, our cars get drone and annoying loud when you do mufflers and mid pipe or start modifying/removing resonators. I like that while cruising I dont really hear it almost at all but the sound is there when you want it. The tanabe was too close to the stock sound for me when I was listening to clips, borla seemed to have a slightly helathier sound than invidia and they had the no drone guarantee.. I am happy with the purchase.

I'm going to make another video soon and hopefully I'll get the audio even cleaner.. I'll see if I can get some regular driving sounds too and I'll post it back on here.

Last edited by SBPhoto; 01-07-24 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 03:32 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SBPhoto
Tanabe is the most tame one there is, borla/invidia are close in the overall volume and a bit more loud than Tanabe. I also didnt want a constant noise while driving, our cars get drone and annoying loud when you do mufflers and mid pipe or start modifying/removing resonators. I like that while cruising I dont really hear it almost at all but the sound is there when you want it. The tanabe was too close to the stock sound for me when I was listening to clips, borla seemed to have a slightly helathier sound than invidia and they had the no drone guarantee.. I am happy with the purchase.

I'm going to make another video soon and hopefully I'll get the audio even cleaner.. I'll see if I can get some regular driving sounds too and I'll post it back on here.
That would be great, thanks!
Old 01-08-24, 10:46 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Tanabe is great. I have one. It's just a bit louder and deeper than stock. If you can remove the 2ndary Cats it's sounds even better. (off road track use advise only).

Borla was designed to sound just like a 5.0 V8 Mustang. That is kinda what it makes the GS350 sound like. I have a friend who has the Borla. I don't like it at idle and start up. It's very loud to me. Too loud.
Old 01-08-24, 11:01 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Tanabe is great. I have one. It's just a bit louder and deeper than stock. If you can remove the 2ndary Cats it's sounds even better. (off road track use advise only).

Borla was designed to sound just like a 5.0 V8 Mustang. That is kinda what it makes the GS350 sound like. I have a friend who has the Borla. I don't like it at idle and start up. It's very loud to me. Too loud.
Thanks jgscott, that is good info.
In my opinion, the GS is a semi luxury car, with a bit of sportiness to it. Making it excessively loud would ruin it.