GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blind Spot Monitor System malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 08:40 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Blind Spot Monitor System malfunction

Maybe once a year, if that, I’ll get a message on both the dash and center console that says “Blind Spot Monitor System - A malfunction in the Blind Spot Monitor System has been detected.” After restarting it goes away and doesn’t come back. However its come on four times in the past two weeks. I have an extended Lexus warranty so I’m not worried about it and already have an appt. booked, but I am curious how common this is and what the cause has been found to be for others? Thanks
Old 01-08-24, 09:56 PM
JUTMSS32
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

deleted...

Last edited by JUTMSS32; 01-08-24 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Responded about Parking sensors, not BSM.
Old 01-09-24, 08:03 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Maybe once a year, if that, I’ll get a message on both the dash and center console that says “Blind Spot Monitor System - A malfunction in the Blind Spot Monitor System has been detected.” After restarting it goes away and doesn’t come back. However its come on four times in the past two weeks. I have an extended Lexus warranty so I’m not worried about it and already have an appt. booked, but I am curious how common this is and what the cause has been found to be for others? Thanks
I had the same problem with my 2017 GS AWD. It happened a few times over a few years mostly at idling or when the car was stopped. Initially they thought it might be older car battery & I replaced it at 4.5 years old. However it kept happening.
Most recently, My dealer did a deep dive on it and noticed there was a voltage drop every time it threw a code for the BSM. They narrowed it down to the SPIRAL CABLE in the steering wheel where it was losing contact causing the voltage drop.
They've since replaced it and it's been good so far. Time will tell.

Hope this info helps you.
Old 01-09-24, 08:45 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
I had the same problem with my 2017 GS AWD. It happened a few times over a few years mostly at idling or when the car was stopped. Initially they thought it might be older car battery & I replaced it at 4.5 years old. However it kept happening.
Most recently, My dealer did a deep dive on it and noticed there was a voltage drop every time it threw a code for the BSM. They narrowed it down to the SPIRAL CABLE in the steering wheel where it was losing contact causing the voltage drop.
They've since replaced it and it's been good so far. Time will tell.

Hope this info helps you.
Very insightful, thank you. Hopefully whatever the cause is of my issue isn’t as difficult to diagnose!
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (01-09-24)