GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Premium/Lux/F Sport Trim: Thigh extender/ML stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 11:31 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Premium/Lux/F Sport Trim: Thigh extender/ML stereo?

Hi guys I'm playing the long game, patiently looking for a 4th gen GS to replace my totaled 2013 F Sport. I have OCD tendencies so I've been doing a lot of research to figure what my ideal specs would be. As of right now I'm open to anything from an F Sport to a Luxury or even a Premium providing it has the Levinson stereo and the thigh extenders on the driver's seat.

From what I have gathered, it seems that:
None of the Premiums, most of the Luxuries, and most of the F Sports have the Mark Levinson stereo.
None of the Premiums, all the Luxuries, and all of the F Sports have the thigh extenders.

Does anyone here on CL have a Premium with either the ML stereo or the Mark Levinson stereo?

Also can anyone shed light on how diffferently the drive is between the Premium and the Luxury? I like that both of those have a square setup and simpler brakes, and if the S+ features don't add much to the driving experience I could live with the duller interior etc. on the premium if there was any such thing as a premium trim with the upgraded stereo and seat controls. I have driven a Luxury, but it was a brief test drive in city conditions and the car was not in great shape from what I could tell, so it was hard to really know based on that experience.
Old 01-09-24, 04:14 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I think living in Hawaii your options would be limited.
Old 01-09-24, 11:09 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charley95
I think living in Hawaii your options would be limited.
Yes and no. Honolulu is a good sized city and I will probably ending up buying there and shipping over to Maui.
Old 01-09-24, 11:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's my understanding that the thigh extender is not offered on the Premium at all. It's on the driver's seat of the F Sport, and both front seats for the Luxury trim.

With that said, I know Hawaii is different in their options and configurations from the mainland. I can't remember if they all go through Servco or what, but I know it's different.

In any case, I wish you well in your search!
The following users liked this post:
gs350noob (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 11:57 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

In the CONUS, extendable seat bottom was exclusive to F-Sport and Luxury Package. Made my decision very easy, as I would not have the car without it and I could not find a 2017 Luxury AWD anywhere.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-09-24 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
gs350noob (01-09-24), PANICiii (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 03:36 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panyo64
In the CONUS, extendable seat bottom was exclusive to F-Sport and Luxury Package. Made my decision very easy, as I would not have the car without it and I could not find a 2017 Luxury AWD anywhere.
Yes I'm not that tall but the extenders were a game changer for me.
Old 01-09-24, 05:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Others have already confirmed about the F-Sport driver's seat extender and Lux pkg on both front seats. I don't think i've ever seen a pre-refresh premium package GS with Mark Levinson. There are a few very rare optioned with ML on refreshed premium, particularly 2018+.

Here is an example of a 2018 premium pkg GS with mark levinson. Notice its upgraded with 19" wheels and the espresso wood trim as well - which is as close to a lux pkg you could get once the lux was last offered in 2017: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3...-e1a9e0d6fa66/
The following users liked this post:
gs350noob (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:37 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Well it looks like I've got to either suck it up and wait for a Luxury Package - could take a while. I'm still open to the F Sport I would just rather not have to worry about the tire/brake costs. I've always been easy on the brakes so maybe I can squeeze decent mileage out of my tires with the staggered setup.
Old 01-10-24, 08:27 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn’t think that ML was exclusive to luxury and f-sport but never thought about it too hard. Feel like I’ve seen some premiums with ML around. Thigh extender, on the other hand, is definitely limited to those models.
Old 01-10-24, 03:48 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Well it looks like I've got to either suck it up and wait for a Luxury Package - could take a while. I'm still open to the F Sport I would just rather not have to worry about the tire/brake costs. I've always been easy on the brakes so maybe I can squeeze decent mileage out of my tires with the staggered setup.
Are there any AWD GS's available in Hawaii or is that the rarest bird in your neck of the woods?
Old 01-10-24, 04:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Just wait for a nice Lux, any year that in your budget, pre or post. Won't have to deal with the brakes and squeal problems, Fully Loaded. You can always upgrade the wheels to F Sport 19" later if you want. I have yet to see anyone with a Lux regret it. Least I don't remember seeing any Lux owners regretting. Even besides the Thigh extenders, the Lux seat just feel so much better.

Owners are starting to sell/trade GS's alot more now. I would not even mind having a GS450h Lux version either. Even @bclexus went from a GS3500 to a GS450h.

Old 01-10-24, 05:27 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just wait for a nice Lux, any year that in your budget, pre or post. Won't have to deal with the brakes and squeal problems, Fully Loaded. You can always upgrade the wheels to F Sport 19" later if you want. I have yet to see anyone with a Lux regret it. Least I don't remember seeing any Lux owners regretting. Even besides the Thigh extenders, the Lux seat just feel so much better.

Owners are starting to sell/trade GS's alot more now. I would not even mind having a GS450h Lux version either. Even @bclexus went from a GS3500 to a GS450h.
Yeah I think the Lux package would be ideal. It would be cool to test out a 450H but the 350 is good fun already. 30mpg would be pretty sweet.

BTW I really am not enjoying the Camry fighting the urge to buy a well-priced ES I came across nearby. I think I could get it for about an extra $4K. I'll probably stand pat though.

Old 01-10-24, 05:37 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott

Yeah I think the Lux package would be ideal. It would be cool to test out a 450H but the 350 is good fun already. 30mpg would be pretty sweet.

BTW I really am not enjoying the Camry fighting the urge to buy a well-priced ES I came across nearby. I think I could get it for about an extra $4K. I'll probably stand pat though.

Old 01-10-24, 06:26 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I had a 23 ES250 AWD for a loaner a few months ago. Even with the seat all the way down, I had to duck a bit to clear the door frame, and the headliner was noticeably lower quality. The seats were probably real leather though, unlike the regrettable Nuluxe in my car. It did have much EDIT: MORE antiroll geometry, but all in all, I would rather reupholster my car than make the switch to the ES.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-11-24 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-10-24, 06:29 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panyo64
I had a 23 ES250 AWD for a loaner a few months ago. Even with the seat all the way down, I had to duck a bit to clear the door frame, and the headliner was noticeably lower quality. The seats were probably real leather though, unlike the regrettable Nuluxe in my car. It did have much less antiroll geometry, but all in all, I would rather reupholster my car than make the switch to the ES.
I've always had a soft spot for the ES. It's soft and rolls a lot in the turns but it's a very relaxing car. Like an updated Cadillac from the 80's or 90's. The Camry is such a freaking rattletrap and the seats, stereo and road noise are pretty crappy.

Quick Reply: Premium/Lux/F Sport Trim: Thigh extender/ML stereo?