GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery Replacement, Infotainment Reboot and Battery Settings Saver

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 06:28 PM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery Replacement, Infotainment Reboot and Battery Settings Saver - NEED ADVICE

Please don't flame me for asking this! I have searched and cannot find the post that I remember seeing a while back..

Several questions:
  1. Do I need to use a settings savers when replacing my battery? If so, what style should i get? OBD vs cigarette lighter style vs using jumper cables.
  2. Does the setting saver eliminate the possibility of an infotainment failure upon restart?
  3. What is the startup sequence to help ensure a successful infotainment reboot? I remember reading a post describing the process but cannot find it.
Its about time to replace the battery and I have seen so many horror stories of head unit failure. I have changed dozens of batteries over the years but all of this talk about failure makes me worried!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jsant1070; 01-24-24 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-24-24, 04:46 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

I just reconnected my battery after a day if having it reconnected.

​​​​All I can really comment is in point 3.

​​​​​I had the key inside the car (on top of the center console if it matters). I connected the positive terminal. I left it sit for a minute.

I pushed the Start button once. I let it sit for a few minutes. During that time, the infotainment screen said something about starting up and to not power off. I waited until it was done and on the caution screen. My guess is here is where bricking could occur.

I pushed the start button again. The console lit up like normal. I let it sit for a minute or so. Then I started the car.
​​​​​​
Old 01-24-24, 05:38 AM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you so much. This is helpful. I hope to get some more answers from others regarding the additional questions.

Have a great day!!
Old 01-24-24, 12:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I have disconnected my battery 15 times plus over the years. Never a problem.

Cut everything to off before you disconnect.

Make sure nothing comes on on restart then cut things back on after you have restarted it. This is what I do.
Old 01-24-24, 07:47 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

@jsant1070 No need to use a settings saver. I didn't use one and had no issues with my infotainment/head unit afterward. Since you've changed many batteries in the past, its not much different just be patient with it.

See my post here for additional tips: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11044612
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (01-28-24)
Old 01-27-24, 11:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

I actually replaced my Optima Red Top battery today after just 2yrs 10months. It was still under the 3yr warranty offered by Optima/Autozone. Third time this month I had to jump it to get the GS started.

The in-store employee correctly said my original purchase was made on Autozone.com on 3/21/2021 and I should contact cust service 800 # to get more info since the battery is not stocked at any brick/mortar Autozone.

Customer service then said this should all be handled in-store - they would be able to either replace with an equivalent "Duralast"/Autozone branded battery if they didn't have the same one in stock. Went back in-store and I spoke to the manager - said since they don't have the same battery in stock, they could only offer me an upgraded battery in-stock battery (Optima Yellow Top) and I could pay the difference. I explained I was willing to accept a cheaper in-stock Duralast battery, but he kept insisting showing me his computer wouldn't allow him to do it (how convenient right?).

After spending way too much time on the back-forth, I paid the small difference and got a fresh battery. Followed the standard DIY procedure - but the yellow top required me to remove the OEM plastic battery cage entirely. Even though they looked very similar in overall dimensions, the terminals on the yellow top were closer to the middle instead of toward the outer edges making the connection tougher.

Takeaways:
-Maybe its just me, but I would not recommend the Optima brand. It lasted the shortest amt of time for any battery I've ever owned.
-Autozone's policies are terrible for batteries purchased online that aren't stocked in store. Employees were patient and willing to assist, but the inconsistent answers between phone support/in-person was mind boggling.
-If I had a trustworthy Lexus dealership nearby, i'd likely let the dealer handle replacement using an OEM battery. I only went the Autozone route bc I was still under the warranty period.