GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is their access to inside of vehicle through trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 03:02 PM
Sajor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is their access to inside of vehicle through trunk

I own a 13 GS350 , I believe the cars battery is dead as the key fob will not open doors , I replaced key fob with new battery and still doors will not unlock, I tried using the physical metal key but it only goes in half way in, next im going to see if i can open the trunk with physical metal key, if it open, anyone knows if there is access to the inside of vehicle so i can open the hood and test the cars battery.
Old 01-24-24, 03:52 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

You will not be able to get into the interior of the GS through the trunk.

Also make sure you are inserting the key as described here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9812526

If your key does not work to open the drivers door at all, you may need to call a locksmith as some folks have reported in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ide-trunk.html
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (01-24-24)
Old 01-25-24, 05:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajor
I own a 13 GS350 , I believe the cars battery is dead as the key fob will not open doors , I replaced key fob with new battery and still doors will not unlock, I tried using the physical metal key but it only goes in half way in, next im going to see if i can open the trunk with physical metal key, if it open, anyone knows if there is access to the inside of vehicle so i can open the hood and test the cars battery.
@Sajor - Your car's battery must be totally dead, like as dead as a 'door nail' because while the door opening actuators (a.k.a. solenoids) put an inductive load on the battery, it's not like it's a heavy inductive load. The current draw is in the vicinity of 5 Amps @ 12V DC - nothing remotely close to the 150-200 Amps for a few milliseconds @ 12V DC for the starter at full cranking. As you might imagine, usually even a very weak car battery will still operate the door opening actuator solenoids.

How old is your battery?

Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll either need a locksmith or you'll need to have it towed. If you get a locksmith just be aware that if he uses a bladder pump to get into the car it might bend your door frame a little which may not spring back that can cause wind noise where the door frame seal no longer seals well enough.

I highly recommend that you get a Lexus branded replacement battery from your Lexus dealer. It'll have a 7 year (84 month) warranty with no-cost replacement if it fails within the first two years and pro-rata thereafter until the 7 year warranty period expires.

If replacing the battery causes any equipment problems (e.g. locked emergency brake, NAV system fail, HVAC going haywire, etc.) - which is known to happen from time-to-time when auto parts stores or DIYers replace the battery - causing major headaches including towing the car in to the dealership for diagnosis and repairs - the Lexus dealer where you buy the Lexus branded battery replacement will be responsible to fix/correct any problems at no-charge.

Considering how long a typical battery lasts the cost is only a few dollars a month to have the insurance of a fresh battery every 5-6 years. I bet you tip restaurant wait staff more than a few dollars every month, right?

I'll never understand why some people try to squeeze just one more week or just one more crank-up out of an almost dead battery or a battery that gives clear signs it's at the end of its life. It pays to get a battery load-tested once a year after it becomes two years old. NTB, and most all auto parts stores or your Lexus dealer's service department can load-test it for you at no-charge...oftentimes without an appointment and right in their parking lot as you watch.

It's NOT COLD climates that shortens the life of a battery as most people believe. It's HEAT that shortens the life of a battery as shown by the map below.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-25-24 at 07:12 AM. Reason: orthography