GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 06:09 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

If that GS was on the mainland I'd buy it and sell my 14k mile 18 GS. Why you're asking everyone's opinion on which car to buy seems illogical. That GS is a needle in a haystack.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 06:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

@gs350noob - Somehow do your best to wipe this out of your mind and memory so it doesn't influence you!

If you choose to get the Honda I'll bet you'll regret it by the end of the March. Why March you ask? That Honda is a good ol' rainy weather, park anywhere, grocery getter car whereas during your warmer and less rainy weather season you'll be clamoring and wishing you had that Lexus instead of that old irrelevant Honda.
Old 01-26-24, 06:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
If that GS was on the mainland I'd buy it and sell my 14k mile 18 GS. Why you're asking everyone's opinion on which car to buy seems illogical. That GS is a needle in a haystack.
This Lexus GS really moves the needle! That Honda on the other hand just doesn't move the needle much at all.

If you're just looking for a temporary car that you'll soon not care much about then the Honda is the perfect one for you!

Last edited by bclexus; 01-26-24 at 08:04 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 01-26-24, 08:38 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

That GS looks cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaan!!

I actually drove a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT for a couple of years... does not compare to the GS.
Totally different class.
jgscott (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 10:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

We had a 13 V6 SE Accord (Daughters). Was nice. Few ppl I knew had the 4cly Accord the Earth Dreams i-VTEC. They all burned oil.

They now have the same issue in the new Accord Turbo engine. To be fair so does every other manufacture with the GDI and Direct Inject 4cyl engines. The 13 on up GS350 to a Accord is no comparison. If we were talking Acura RL that might get some traction a different way from me. Stepping sideways from a V6 Camry to a Accord is a lateral risk. Lexus in the picture is like comparing a BMW to a VW. I would think better to ask about the Accord without mentioning the GS350 in the conversation. In that case, yes the Accord is a good car. But if someone missed their Lexus GS350..... and price was a issue 13-15 GS350 all day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...t=gws-wiz-serp
Old 02-02-24, 03:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@gs350noob did you make a play at either the Accord or GS??
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
JDR76 (02-02-24), jgscott (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 04:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

No pressure from your GS brother here. We are not even Partial

GS, GS, GS, GS, GS!

Hint - https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/...709680461.html
AJLex19 (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 10:29 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

Basically its a money thing. The OP finds really nice cars and intimates he'll buy the one that meets his below offers.
If GS comes down to 33 or the accord to 18. Nothing wrong with basing your purchase on money.
But if your coming to a forum and asking them which do they think he should buy well your not going to get objective response!
Old 02-03-24, 01:47 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Basically its a money thing. The OP finds really nice cars and intimates he'll buy the one that meets his below offers.
If GS comes down to 33 or the accord to 18. Nothing wrong with basing your purchase on money.
But if your coming to a forum and asking them which do they think he should buy well your not going to get objective response!
I'm waffling like I always do. The Honda guy agreed to $17K and that's a pretty good deal I think. That's the very top of blue book and the low mileage and condition of the car justify it to my thinking. In reality the car costs a bit more than that because the timing belt (no chain on this model dumb *** Honda put a timing belt on these with a shelf life of 7 years/105,000 miles) needs changing and that's around $1500 to replace.

The GS guy will not go below $35K, and that is also at the very top. With the GS I need to factor in the less durable and more expensive brakes and wheels in comparison to the Honda.

I would never argue that the Honda is as good a car as the Lexus, but it costs MORE than twice as much and the Honda is definitely damn fun to drive. Still I am much more pulled to the Lexus. I am not a rich person but I have enough money to buy the Lexus in cash and "afford" it, but a third part of me thinks I should just suck it up and drive the Camry. Realistically I will probably not go that route. Lucking into my 2013 GS turned me into someone who actually cares about what kind of car they drive, and the Camry just makes me sad when I drive it.

The funny part is neither guy is in a hurry to sell their car, and I probably don't really need to feel rushed, but I need to make a decision here soon.
Old 02-03-24, 07:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350noob
I'm waffling like I always do. The Honda guy agreed to $17K and that's a pretty good deal I think. That's the very top of blue book and the low mileage and condition of the car justify it to my thinking. In reality the car costs a bit more than that because the timing belt (no chain on this model dumb *** Honda put a timing belt on these with a shelf life of 7 years/105,000 miles) needs changing and that's around $1500 to replace.

The GS guy will not go below $35K, and that is also at the very top. With the GS I need to factor in the less durable and more expensive brakes and wheels in comparison to the Honda.

I would never argue that the Honda is as good a car as the Lexus, but it costs MORE than twice as much and the Honda is definitely damn fun to drive. Still I am much more pulled to the Lexus. I am not a rich person but I have enough money to buy the Lexus in cash and "afford" it, but a third part of me thinks I should just suck it up and drive the Camry. Realistically I will probably not go that route. Lucking into my 2013 GS turned me into someone who actually cares about what kind of car they drive, and the Camry just makes me sad when I drive it.

The funny part is neither guy is in a hurry to sell their car, and I probably don't really need to feel rushed, but I need to make a decision here soon.
@gs350noob - It sounds like you are battling the emotional pull of being economically frugal or careful to the point of being overly thrifty in the use of money/resources, which strongly implies a distinct absence of luxury of lifestyle and a willingness to trade luxury for simplicity of lifestyle. That's a path to a blasé attitude that lacks youthful responsiveness or excitement to the joys that you previously once had that awarded you with real happiness. This is more typical of someone that is on the verge of giving-in or handing over the reins of control to a fun and exciting life in exchange for a life that is molded instead by frugality.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-03-24 at 08:03 AM. Reason: orthography
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
peteharvey (02-03-24), Robertcave (02-07-24)
Old 02-03-24, 08:53 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

That Camry has a strong rep and following. Can you make a little extra by detailing the Camry and selling it for a bit more that you just paid for it?
Old 02-03-24, 09:04 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
That Camry has a strong rep and following. Can you make a little extra by detailing the Camry and selling it for a bit more that you just paid for it?
I think I'll do ok reselling it but it's hard to sell cars in Hawaii in general and on Maui in particular, especially ones that aren't island cruisers less than $5,000. Works to my advantage when buying but against me when selling. Bought the Camry for a fair amount under so I shouldn't have to take too much of a bath on it. I think for a lot of people the V6 is more of a positive than a negative though (fuel economy).
Old 02-03-24, 09:12 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@gs350noob - It sounds like you are battling the emotional pull of being economically frugal or careful to the point of being overly thrifty in the use of money/resources, which strongly implies a distinct absence of luxury of lifestyle and a willingness to trade luxury for simplicity of lifestyle. That's a path to a blasé attitude that lacks youthful responsiveness or excitement to the joys that you previously once had that awarded you with real happiness. This is more typical of someone that is on the verge of giving-in or handing over the reins of control to a fun and exciting life in exchange for a life that is molded instead by frugality.
Perhaps a bit. Wanting to have a nicer car doesn't really fit in with the rest of my lifestyle. In general I am not a spender or a luxury oriented person. i loved the luxury of the GS but I also liked the control over the drive I had in the Accord. How cool would a manual GS be?
Old 02-03-24, 09:17 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Perhaps a bit. Wanting to have a nicer car doesn't really fit in with the rest of my lifestyle. In general I am not a spender or a luxury oriented person. i loved the luxury of the GS but I also liked the control over the drive I had in the Accord. How cool would a manual GS be?
A GS manual would be very cool, but you must be "fair" to the other party and pay for it.
You can't have something for nothing.
Think on win-win principles.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
You will get what you pay for.
A fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Karma - what goes around comes around.
You stinge on buying, and life will stinge on you selling.

Think of it another way.
If you cheat life here - life will cheat you there.
Hence, think in terms of both yourself, and the other party - a bit of altruism.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-03-24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 10:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

...It's hard to sell cars in Hawaii in general and on Maui in particular, especially ones that aren't island cruisers less than $5,000.
That's really sad. A bunch of $5,000 junkers everywhere cruising the island.

That's a far cry from what I see on a daily basis here with lots of late model Lexus, Tesla, M-B, BMW, Land Rover, Porsche, Infniti, Jag, Masserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani Huayra, Lamborghini, McLaren everywhere.

Just another casual day at Legacy West in Plano, TX

This Concorso event takes place about a mile from my house every spring/fall. I see supercars and exotics throughout the year everywhere.

Boardwalk Concorso

Quick Reply: 2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual