GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 11:45 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's really sad. A bunch of $5,000 junkers everywhere cruising the island.

That's a far cry from what I see on a daily basis here with lots of late model Lexus, Tesla, M-B, BMW, Land Rover, Porsche, Infniti, Jag, Masserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani Huayra, Lamborghini, McLaren everywhere.

Just another casual day at Legacy West in Plano, TX

This Concorso event takes place about a mile from my house every spring/fall. I see supercars and exotics throughout the year everywhere.

Boardwalk Concorso https://youtu.be/SYcCLMVbuOw
LOL!!! Yup Maui is different. Locals and surfers all want pickup trucks - the Tacoma is king here for sure. There are a lot of rich people here so you do see some nice cars. There are 3 LC 500's I've seen driving my side of the island which is only like 10K population. Mostly Teslas though.
Old 02-03-24, 01:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Any weekend D Town Atlanta Buckhead, parked and cruising, all over the place.

Old 02-03-24, 04:20 PM
Kooper
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are both nice cars. Its no surprise that as mostly GS owners, we will tell you to by the same.

Rather than suggest which is correct for you, I will ask you to consider a few thoughts.

1. Life is too short to drive boring cars.

2. Sheet Theory. That which you use regularly should be nice. Buy nice sheets, you spend a 1/3 of your life in them.
I drive 15K+ miles a year so this applies to me. On the island it might be different for you but perhaps worth considering.

Final thought. You have said how much you liked you car and that you would like keep a new GS for long time.

That seems to answer the question.

So then its about the money. If you can afford it, go for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kooper:
bclexus (02-03-24), peteharvey (02-03-24)
Old 02-03-24, 06:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
LOL!!! Yup Maui is different. Locals and surfers all want pickup trucks - the Tacoma is king here for sure.
Well, with locals driving $5,000 junkers ,old Camrys and Hondas and Tacoma pickups - that doesn't paint a very pretty picture of paradise!

You might as well get that old Honda so you'll fit right in!

Old 02-03-24, 06:10 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

That GS is clean and has pretty much everything.

If you find the Accord fun to drive, and it makes more sense financially, try that. If you are the type to enjoy manual cars then it might make more sense to go Accord. It's probably because we don't have as many in the US, but there's something fun about driving any manual, be it a truck, or a cheap underpowered rental. If you are that type of person, then it might make more sense to go Accord.

Sadly, both are special in their own way. The GS isn't made anymore, especially a model as loaded as that black one. And manuals are harder and harder to come by. Though you're more likely to find any manual than a GS.

As an alternative, get the Accord, and invest the other 17k, and save up for an LS. It's always good to try new things.

​​​​​​
Old 02-03-24, 06:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Something some of you are not thinking about that comes with the Stick shift Accord. Nail that Accord for Sporty acceleration, from the start and through shift changes, you will be doing shifts, Clutch peddling....and controlling the steering wheel left to right, back and forth due to something called -Torque Steer. It's FWD. Give it some sporty driving taking advantage of the stick. Now if one says well I won't really be driving it spirited Sporty, then what's the fun in the manual about? It ain't like its a Porsche.

@gs350noob if you can find a Kia Stinger over there, test drive it. Price, performance, features it's winner for what you want. What a under the radar car that Stinger is. Kia's have really, really changed.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-03-24 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 02:35 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

I guess my Honda guy got impatient on me. He put his ad on FB marketplace back up. As you can see he took really good care of his car similar to the GS guy.

Facebook Post

Old 02-04-24, 02:36 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Facebook Post
Old 02-04-24, 02:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm waffling like I always do. The Honda guy agreed to $17K and that's a pretty good deal I think.
@gs350noob - Buy the Honda for $17k and be done with it...and don't look back.

If anyone deserves a 2-door FWD, straight drive, black car with a frayed timing belt - it's you!

Will you take as good care of the Black Honda as you would the black Lexus?

Old 02-04-24, 07:19 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

BC you are too much. I'm scared of the black paint in either car but I'm ready for the challenge.
The following users liked this post:
GregCanada (02-07-24)
Old 02-05-24, 01:04 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@gs350noob - Buy the Honda for $17k and be done with it...and don't look back.

If anyone deserves a 2-door FWD, straight drive, black car with a frayed timing belt - it's you!
And be reasonable with your transaction; play win-win - there are two parties at play.
Rip the seller off, and karma will take your new purchase away - just like they took your old 2013 away.
Old 02-05-24, 01:21 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
And be reasonable with your transaction; play win-win - there are two parties at play.
Rip the seller off, and karma will take your new purchase away - just like they took your old 2013 away.
Yeah for sure. $17K for the Honda and $35K for the GS are both tip top of blue book - justifiably so.
Old 02-05-24, 06:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

BC you are too much. I'm scared of the black paint in either car but I'm ready for the challenge.
Are you really sure you're ready for the challenge? Do I need to remind you about black cars!

A black car is absolutely beautiful when clean. The problem is - it only stays clean for a mere 42 seconds!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing! There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, dirty or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that same model in another color, and think about being practical, but that black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life.

Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy that black car. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that black one. Your only protection against buying a black car is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…'What if!

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact is: Black cars only stay clean for a mere 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will start staring at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.'

Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand-washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or even much of a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? Just touching your paint when you hand-wash it will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided. Two Bucket Car Wash Method? Forget it!

A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to take care it it properly. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have the time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with swirl rainbows in the black paint. It should look like a perfect mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of car care products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis, all to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block?

You will park under a tree only once where birds are known to perch for you to learn a tough lesson about how soft black paint etches from bird poop. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for a lifetime, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches you got.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of tender meat frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!

Old 02-05-24, 11:38 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Yeah for sure. $17K for the Honda and $35K for the GS are both tip top of blue book - justifiably so.
Blue Book is only average examples.
These are low mileage and in top condition, so only reasonable to pay more.
Old 02-05-24, 02:37 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

I love keeping my black cars clean, once I finish the back section I start back on the front.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
jgscott (02-05-24), PANICiii (02-05-24)

Quick Reply: 2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual