GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 02:05 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual

OK. Posted a few threads about my car search after losing my 2013 GS, but I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger finally.

The more I drive the Camry I bought after losing the GS, the more I dislike it. Also I'm worried about the paint. Apparently these years of white Camrys have a paint defect which may be rearing its ugly head at me soon. Already has a flaked off spot on the driver's side door and I see possible early signs of bubbling elsewhere on the car. I'd like to get out from underneath it sooner rather than later, so I'm being more proactive in my search.

Posted earlier about a black GS that came available to me a few months back. He still hasn't sold it here is the link to the CL ad if you want to check it out. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/...709680461.html. The car is in amazing condition and has just 16K on the odometer, and if you look at the window sticker he included in the ad, the car has every possible thing and he also upgraded the speakers in the Mark Levinson system. He's listed the car at $40K but he had someone offer $35K and he was going to accept that offer, but it seems the deal has fallen through. I drove it again today and it is really really a pleasure. I thought I was partial to the 6 speed in my 2013, but his eight speed is very smooth shifting even if it's a little less "sporty" feeling than my 2013 was. If he will accept $33K I think that would be an acceptable price for me.

The owner of the Accord is also psychotically protective of his car, and it has even less miles than the Lexus at 12K. Paint (also black which is not ideal for me but it is what it is), wheels etc are all more or less pristine, and the car is totally stock (he had an ad on Facebook Marketplace but it's not currently up so I can't copy it here). . I must say the 6 speed manual is a real pleasure and the engine has way more torque and pull than I would expect from just reading the engine specs. I only drove manuals until my 40's and driving this one felt nostalgic and satisfying. The ride comfort, seating, and stereo are all significantly below the GS unsurprisingly. He is asking for $21,000 which I will not pay. Blue book is roughly $17K, but the car is quite rare and in such good condition I may offer $18K.

My current thinking is to go for the Accord 1st, and if he won't go near $18K, I'll take a run at the Lexus guy and see if he will come down. I feel like the Honda will retain its value well and if I don't like it long term there is definitely a market for these cars due to their rarity and quality If I bought the Lexus I'm not really thinking about future resale because I know I love the GS and I'd keep it for a long time barring another disaster.

What do the car geniuses on here think of my conundrum? You guys always give better advice than the idiots on Reddit.

Old 01-25-24, 02:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

@gs350noob - You are kidding, right? You're comparing a '14 Honda Accord front-wheel drive Coupe with a mint condition '17 absolutely loaded Lexus GS 350? Sure, there's $15k difference in the two cars. There's $15k more car in the GS 350! The Lexus is hands down a much better car.

Don't let the memory of straight drive from years ago and the Honda's 6-speed manual destroy your logical reasoning by taxing your brain to the point of making a bad decision you'll soon regret.

Snap out of it, man!

Last edited by bclexus; 01-25-24 at 02:48 PM. Reason: orthography
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
LovemYGS350 (02-03-24), PGA71 (01-25-24), tompass (01-26-24)
Old 01-25-24, 02:48 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@gs350noob - You are kidding, right? You're comparing a '14 Honda Accord Coupe with a mint '17 absolutely loaded Lexus GS 350? Sure, there's $15k difference in the two cars. There's $15k more car in the GS 350!

Don't let the memory of straight drive from years ago and the Honda's 6-speed manual destroy your logical reasoning by taxing your brain to the point of making a bad decision you'll soon regret.

Snap out it, man!
You're the man BC. I may not follow your advice but I respect your delivery.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 03:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Life is short.
One of my class mates is a teacher, and last year, he took 5 months off work.
When he came back, he retired at only 55 due to neurological tumour.
I would pick whichever you like most, pay a few grand, and move on with life.
The following 3 users liked this post by peteharvey:
jgscott (01-25-24), LovemYGS350 (02-03-24), PGA71 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 04:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

As someone who misses driving a manual daily, I get it. I recently even toyed with trading my GS in for a GR86 with a manual, but at the end of the day, the GS is my favorite of all the cars I've had and I just can't part with it. On last year's trip to the UK, it was so easy to get a manual rental car, and even though I had to shift left handed, it was so much fun!

However, if you get the Accord, I wonder if in time you'd feel similar like you do now with the Camry - still longing for another GS.

I vote to get the GS!
The following 3 users liked this post by JDR76:
AJLex19 (01-25-24), bclexus (01-25-24), PGA71 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 04:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

I have the same feeling as JDR - its hard to tell the future, but if you go with the Accord, the question is will you end up regretting the decision similar to the Camry decision. No doubt the accord has a manual not even offered on the GS - but tons of options on the GS the Accord can't touch.

I would say offer your best on the GS first and if it doesn't go the way you want, you know the Accord is there in the background. This way, if the deal works out, you'll know that particular GS was meant to be in your driveway.

If not, at least you made the GS your first choice (which is sounds like it is) and you can then decide how a no-go on the GS makes you feel about getting into the Accord.

Last edited by AJLex19; 01-25-24 at 05:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AJLex19:
bclexus (01-25-24), JDR76 (01-25-24), jgscott (01-25-24), PGA71 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 05:17 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Agree with what @AJLex19 , @JDR76 , @peteharvey and @bclexus said.

If you are looking for approval for the Accord over the GS350 I'm afraid you will need to hop on the Honda forums.
The following 5 users liked this post by PGA71:
AJLex19 (01-25-24), bclexus (01-25-24), jgscott (01-25-24), peteharvey (01-25-24), robm (01-27-24)
Old 01-25-24, 08:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
OK. Posted a few threads about my car search after losing my 2013 GS, but I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger finally.

The more I drive the Camry I bought after losing the GS, the more I dislike it. Also I'm worried about the paint. Apparently these years of white Camrys have a paint defect which may be rearing its ugly head at me soon. Already has a flaked off spot on the driver's side door and I see possible early signs of bubbling elsewhere on the car. I'd like to get out from underneath it sooner rather than later, so I'm being more proactive in my search.

Posted earlier about a black GS that came available to me a few months back. He still hasn't sold it here is the link to the CL ad if you want to check it out. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/...709680461.html. The car is in amazing condition and has just 16K on the odometer, and if you look at the window sticker he included in the ad, the car has every possible thing and he also upgraded the speakers in the Mark Levinson system. He's listed the car at $40K but he had someone offer $35K and he was going to accept that offer, but it seems the deal has fallen through. I drove it again today and it is really really a pleasure. I thought I was partial to the 6 speed in my 2013, but his eight speed is very smooth shifting even if it's a little less "sporty" feeling than my 2013 was. If he will accept $33K I think that would be an acceptable price for me.

The owner of the Accord is also psychotically protective of his car, and it has even less miles than the Lexus at 12K. Paint (also black which is not ideal for me but it is what it is), wheels etc are all more or less pristine, and the car is totally stock (he had an ad on Facebook Marketplace but it's not currently up so I can't copy it here). . I must say the 6 speed manual is a real pleasure and the engine has way more torque and pull than I would expect from just reading the engine specs. I only drove manuals until my 40's and driving this one felt nostalgic and satisfying. The ride comfort, seating, and stereo are all significantly below the GS unsurprisingly. He is asking for $21,000 which I will not pay. Blue book is roughly $17K, but the car is quite rare and in such good condition I may offer $18K.

My current thinking is to go for the Accord 1st, and if he won't go near $18K, I'll take a run at the Lexus guy and see if he will come down. I feel like the Honda will retain its value well and if I don't like it long term there is definitely a market for these cars due to their rarity and quality If I bought the Lexus I'm not really thinking about future resale because I know I love the GS and I'd keep it for a long time barring another disaster.

What do the car geniuses on here think of my conundrum? You guys always give better advice than the idiots on Reddit.
If you are not satisfied with the Camry, I think you will be back regretting the Accord also as a FWD. You do really want a Luxury car again like the GS and the Honda is not that, and boring to boot.

On the 2017 Black GS, why haggle over just $2k when you can very easily justify the rareness of where you are and also the rareness of the car and options, condition and miles? You can't compare another like it for less where you are either. Idk if you are financing it or paying cash, but on down the road $2k finance might mean like $30 - $40 per month extra, or cash evaluation very little also. Luxury cars always cost more. New as much as $20k - $30k or more. When I look at a car I like and thinking about it it? If it sells, I say well it was not for me. If still there and are the right car, it ends up that is the one for me to get. It's there for you to get. Don't let the 17 GS350 get away over $2k, if it comes to that.

You got to pay to play, and Lexus's hold excellent Resale value.

Last edited by jgscott; 01-25-24 at 08:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jgscott:
AJLex19 (01-26-24), bclexus (01-26-24), JDR76 (01-26-24), PGA71 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 08:24 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Tough decision.
The Lexus is obviously a better car, but much more expensive.
I get the manual allure, I've driven manuals for 12 years. It's much more satisfying than an auto. Still tempted to get a manual car.
But Fwd is just not the same. The dynamics of a RWD platform are so much better.
I guess money can be a large factor in this decision. 🤔
Old 01-25-24, 10:28 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Life is short.
One of my class mates is a teacher, and last year, he took 5 months off work.
When he came back, he retired at only 55 due to neurological tumour.
I would pick whichever you like most, pay a few grand, and move on with life.
Heavy.

Yes I see what you're driving at. In the end it's just a car.
Old 01-25-24, 10:31 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zheka130
Tough decision.
The Lexus is obviously a better car, but much more expensive.
I get the manual allure, I've driven manuals for 12 years. It's much more satisfying than an auto. Still tempted to get a manual car.
But Fwd is just not the same. The dynamics of a RWD platform are so much better.
I guess money can be a large factor in this decision. 🤔
You encapsulated my thoughts well here. I love using the gear shifter, and the car is fun to drive as you accelerate/decelerate, but the GS wraps those corners like such a champ. I would miss that.

Also money wise yes saving thousands of dollars is not a bad thing.
Old 01-25-24, 10:34 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I have the same feeling as JDR - its hard to tell the future, but if you go with the Accord, the question is will you end up regretting the decision similar to the Camry decision. No doubt the accord has a manual not even offered on the GS - but tons of options on the GS the Accord can't touch.

I would say offer your best on the GS first and if it doesn't go the way you want, you know the Accord is there in the background. This way, if the deal works out, you'll know that particular GS was meant to be in your driveway.

If not, at least you made the GS your first choice (which is sounds like it is) and you can then decide how a no-go on the GS makes you feel about getting into the Accord.
I see you about future regret, but the Camry is kind of a clunker, whereas the Accord is mint. It really drives very nice and smooth. The Camry sucks in every department except air conditioning and throttle response. BTW the throttle response in the Camry is almost perfect. The stupid little car hauls *** and enjoys doing it.
Old 01-25-24, 11:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

The Camry actually has more bottom end torque than the GS!
The Accord - I have not driven these recent models.
The GS engine must be revved up to deliver its maximum torque; be aware of this.

The Camry and Accord requires many handfuls of steering wheel to counter the understeer.
The RWD-based GS not only has a tighter turning circle, but it literally steers with the throttle, and the more throttle is used, the less turns of the steering wheel required, because the GS throttle power oversteers.
The GS steering is lighter, sharper and more responsive, with more immediate response for changes to direction.
On corner exit, when you let go of the GS steering wheel, the steering wheel will NOT self-center - especially under throttle like the FWD-based vehicles.

If you like stick shift, go Accord.
For bottom end punch, go for Camry or Accord.
For steering, handling, ride, refinement, and durability - go for GS.
Old 01-25-24, 11:56 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Id go for the manual, with the price for that gs you can get an older F model. Have you considered an F? You can find one cheaper than that gs and level up.
Old 01-26-24, 01:20 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k20trick
Id go for the manual, with the price for that gs you can get an older F model. Have you considered an F? You can find one cheaper than that gs and level up.
Hey finally a vote for the Honda. I think some on here may be underestimating the performance abilities of the Accord. It's pretty light and has 280 horsepower, it revs toward redline really fast, and the car feels like it has more power than published. Clearly the handling is nowhere near that of the GS because of the FWD, but zooming around in a quick 6 speed manual is very entertaining. Also the interior is by no means luxury, but it's pretty nice compared to the Camry, and the ride quality is a step up as well.

As for the F level of Lexus, I think it becomes too powerful and too impractical for what I'm looking for. 6 cylinder engines are right in my sweet spot for power economy and practicality.

Quick Reply: 2017 GS 350 vs 2014 Accord Coupe V6 Manual