GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

(rear) inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 10:39 AM
Chris03218
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default (rear) inner tire wear

Anyone experience this? Any solutions? I just had my car on jack stands and the inside of tire is basically showing metal bands, outside still got a decent amount of meat. This is both sides. Ironically I was installing the front RC-F lca bushing to combat the front tireinner wear.
Old 01-27-24, 03:52 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Get your car on an alignment rack and check the rear toe, which is the only factory adjustment in the rear.

People are quick to blame camber for inner tire wear, but toe is more often the culprit.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 04:59 PM
Chris03218
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Get your car on an alignment rack and check the rear toe, which is the only factory adjustment in the rear.

People are quick to blame camber for inner tire wear, but toe is more often the culprit.
Its going this week, figured it was the toe angle, just like the front. I have to do some digging I remember someone adjusting the front with the RC-F LCA bushings and getting rid of the inner tire wear up fornt mostly.
Old 01-28-24, 08:50 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

There are several different manufacturers that make replacement, adjustable, upper control arms for our cars. They bring the camber from -1.5 to -2° to -0.5° more easily to lessen the rear tire wear.

You just got to get whatever alignment shop onboard with using them and adjusting the camber as you want.

I'll be getting a set for my car this year at some point but I can do the adjustment at my own house.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 01-30-24 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-28-24, 01:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I have been meaning to ask about this myself too. I am about to possibly get the SPC ones? My biggest concern is how good are the quality of the bushings? I don't want Poly that will make noise, and the Megan Racing ones are known to blow out and tear the bushing very fast.
Old 01-28-24, 11:59 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

The best solution is to use harder tyres. I use PA51s and they've lasted 1 year and have plenty of tread left, my old PS91s were done in 9 months.
Old 01-29-24, 07:36 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have been meaning to ask about this myself too. I am about to possibly get the SPC ones? My biggest concern is how good are the quality of the bushings? I don't want Poly that will make noise, and the Megan Racing ones are known to blow out and tear the bushing very fast.
No plans on getting the GS F/RC F ones?
Old 01-29-24, 07:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EdgarLex
No plans on getting the GS F/RC F ones?
So those will let you adjust on Alignment of rear inner tire wear?
Old 01-29-24, 09:47 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

So those will let you adjust on Alignment of rear inner tire wear?
ohhh shoot. I went straight to thinking you meant only bushings. (Which reportedly help with tire wear too). You just meant the camber arms right?
Old 01-30-24, 08:47 AM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have GSF lower arm bush in front and swift springs for more than a year now and my rear tires wear is very even(1st set changed because overinflated hence premature wear in the center). I'm on my second set of rear tires for 2 months now and the wear is very even. I was worried the swift spring would caused inner rear tire wear so i bought MOOQ rear upper adjustable arms from Rock Auto 10 months ago but never had them install.....don't think i'll even need to.
Old 01-30-24, 09:10 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes but lots still have inner tire wear in back, in spite of good Alignment. There is no way to adjust the back proper for it. The IS, RC, and F cars have the same problems.
Old 01-30-24, 12:54 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes but lots still have inner tire wear in back, in spite of good Alignment. There is no way to adjust the back proper for it. The IS, RC, and F cars have the same problems.
I have seen these complaints but never experienced them, but I am also an alignment nut. Inner tire wear is due to toe, typically toe out. Camber does not dramatically increase inner tire wear; it will cause tapered wear across the whole tire, more pronounced towards the inside.

Our cars are rear toe adjustable. However, the static factory toe setting is based on a factory new car, and as I'm sure you are aware, as the car moves down the road the, the suspension bushings will compress and the dynamic toe will be lower (farther out) than what was set during the alignment. Lexus already uses soft bushings (hence the higher durometer GS-F front bushing "upgrade" as both a performance mod and a solution to front inner tire wear), and those bushings become even softer with age, use, and exposure to the elements. It is an unpopular opinion, but suspension bushings are a wear item and should probably be replaced before 100,000 miles, which comes at the unfortunate cost of replacing entire suspension arms, as the bushings are bonded thereto.

An alignment is only as good as the rack that that it is performed on and the tech doing the alignment. Alignment racks need to be calibrated at least annually, and few shops care to pay to do it that often. Alignment racks need to be level, and are usually installed as such, but I've watched techs raise my car on the alignment rack and then not settle it onto the level stops before starting the alignment, which is both extremely sketchy for their own safety and will give you completely incorrect readings on the screen. If you zero the toe with one side of the car higher than the other, neither side will be aligned correctly.

EDIT: Clarification - the rubber of bushings becomes more brittle, degrading their control over the sleeve and ability to maintain the alignment/arc of travel. The effect is the same as if a much softer bushing were used - increased dynamic alignment change when the car is in motion.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-31-24 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-30-24, 02:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I have seen these complaints but never experienced them, but I am also an alignment nut. Inner tire wear is due to toe, typically toe out. Camber does not dramatically increase inner tire wear; it will cause tapered wear across the whole tire, more pronounced towards the inside.

Our cars are rear toe adjustable. However, the static factory toe setting is based on a factory new car, and as I'm sure you are aware, as the car moves down the road the, the suspension bushings will compress and the dynamic toe will be lower (farther out) than what was set during the alignment. Lexus already uses soft bushings (hence the higher durometer GS-F front bushing "upgrade" as both a performance mod and a solution to front inner tire wear), and those bushings become even softer with age, use, and exposure to the elements. It is an unpopular opinion, but suspension bushings are a wear item and should probably be replaced before 100,000 miles, which comes at the unfortunate cost of replacing entire suspension arms, as the bushings are bonded thereto.

An alignment is only as good as the rack that that it is performed on and the tech doing the alignment. Alignment racks need to be calibrated at least annually, and few shops care to pay to do it that often. Alignment racks need to be level, and are usually installed as such, but I've watched techs raise my car on the alignment rack and then not settle it onto the level stops before starting the alignment, which is both extremely sketchy for their own safety and will give you completely incorrect readings on the screen. If you zero the toe with one side of the car higher than the other, neither side will be aligned correctly.
My GS has only 57K. All the bushing are fine. I am running the Swift springs, and RC F wheels with 285/35/19 Tires in rear. I keep my car alighned at Toyota. I am getting slight inside wear on the rear both sides. It could be a number of things but if all else is ok, using adjustalbe for the rear could help.

Yes I kniow the machines need to be calibrated. Normally more often than once per year dpending on usage. Toyota and most dealers have contracts that do this on a scheduelds regular basis, is why I use the Dealer. They also do the Zero point calibration and Yaw and Rake also with Techstream.
Old 02-02-24, 05:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

EDIT: Clarification - the rubber of bushings becomes more brittle, degrading their control over the sleeve and ability to maintain the alignment/arc of travel. The effect is the same as if a much softer bushing were used - increased dynamic alignment change when the car is in motion.
If anyone experiences left front outer edge tire wear and you're wondering why you have this wear even with a perfect alignment. Here's the reason why - The outer edge wear on the left front tire is because - there's no question about it - this tire takes the most abuse. The reason why the left front tire takes the most abuse is because you will always make far more right turns than you will make left turns - right turns scrub the outer edge of the left front tire.

Also, throw into the mix two additional other factors - the front of car is typically heavier, and when turning to the right you're often braking at the same time too which essentially throws weight loading to that left tire.

So, there are a number of conditions or actions that will tend to cause heavier tread wear on the outside edge of the left front tire even when you have a perfect alignment.

Now you know!

Last edited by bclexus; 02-02-24 at 08:56 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 02-02-24, 08:37 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm waiting to see how my Michelin AS4 wear on the inside. Lots of tires get a bum rap on our vehicles because the suspension is no bueno..