GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS to LS, RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 12:39 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GS to LS, RX?

Posted something similar in the LS and RX forums...

Long time reader of this forum (since prior to purchasing a 2016 GS350 FSprot new) but never a poster. Unfortunately, my GS was in an accident and I fear it'll be totaled. With that, want to stay in the Lexus family and love the LS, but a bit out of price range unless go used/L Certified. Drove a 2022 LS and 2024 RX this weekend (Hybrid, but wouldn't buy a Hybrid). LS was nice as expected and fit and finish were top notch, RX was fine not exciting, but not bad.

Could buy a new RX Luxury for about the same price as a few year old LS. Anyone else here in a situation similar in the past? What did you ultimately decide?

Old 01-29-24, 01:08 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

First off, glad you are alright after the accident.

Secondly, this will be a difficult question to answer. Reason is simple, they both are two totally different vehicles. RX is the mid tier in Lexus line-up, whereas LS is, well, LS. It plays with the big boys, tries, and in some cases matches, the luxury offered by S-Class and 7-Series. So the driving dynamics, comfort, fit-n-finish will be two very different experiences.

Allow me to ask you, which one did you feel more "homely" in? Was it the LS or RX? I have a 2016 GS Base, and I am pretty sure that most of us will agree that our GS is old. But, she is like your old blanket/comforter/sweater old. Like that old pair of jeans that still fits and feels quite comfortable to you. After all, it is over a decade old car. Whereas both LS and RX have Lexus brand new aesthetics and technologies. Now is the Lexus new technology in the cabin as good as the competition? That topic can be debated on another day.

Personally, if I were to replace my GS, which I am not planning on, but life happens, it will probably be replaced with the previous gen LS460, in Maroon, with brown/tan interior. But if I decide to go SUV route, RX will not be on my list. I will choose the 2023 GX.
Old 01-29-24, 01:39 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gr8
First off, glad you are alright after the accident.

Secondly, this will be a difficult question to answer. Reason is simple, they both are two totally different vehicles. RX is the mid tier in Lexus line-up, whereas LS is, well, LS. It plays with the big boys, tries, and in some cases matches, the luxury offered by S-Class and 7-Series. So the driving dynamics, comfort, fit-n-finish will be two very different experiences.

Allow me to ask you, which one did you feel more "homely" in? Was it the LS or RX? I have a 2016 GS Base, and I am pretty sure that most of us will agree that our GS is old. But, she is like your old blanket/comforter/sweater old. Like that old pair of jeans that still fits and feels quite comfortable to you. After all, it is over a decade old car. Whereas both LS and RX have Lexus brand new aesthetics and technologies. Now is the Lexus new technology in the cabin as good as the competition? That topic can be debated on another day.

Personally, if I were to replace my GS, which I am not planning on, but life happens, it will probably be replaced with the previous gen LS460, in Maroon, with brown/tan interior. But if I decide to go SUV route, RX will not be on my list. I will choose the 2023 GX.
Appreciate the response. I've always felt more comfortable in a sedan, mid to small, which is not the LS! Have 2 kids in car seats so the additional size of the LS is nice compared to the GS. RX of course has room as well. Probably going to have to give em another spin again!
Old 01-29-24, 02:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

I had an RX for quite a few years and loved it. Very suitable for a family with the ability to haul larger items compared to any sedan. To me it does a bit of everything in comfort. Comfortable enough for a daily driver. If you frequently drive long distances, it's hard to beat the LS. With IL winters, both are available in AWD but the RX has a higher ground clearance. I was in FL and we would get street flooding with tropical storms. The RX extra ground clearance was nice.
Old 01-29-24, 02:33 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
I had an RX for quite a few years and loved it. Very suitable for a family with the ability to haul larger items compared to any sedan. To me it does a bit of everything in comfort. Comfortable enough for a daily driver. If you frequently drive long distances, it's hard to beat the LS. With IL winters, both are available in AWD but the RX has a higher ground clearance. I was in FL and we would get street flooding with tropical storms. The RX extra ground clearance wasnice.
Thinking along similar lines as you here with the capability. LS is significantly larger in size but not necessarily, useful size.
Old 01-29-24, 04:14 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

Glad you're ok from the accident.

Some original 4GS owners moved/commented on their experience with the LS (bigblack06, signdetres, Nalod and PGA71 most recently). There are some good comments here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...yed-w-lex.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10842538

If someone gave me the choice of RX or LS from my current GS, I'd take the LS500 AWD with Luxury package like @PGA71

I've driven the newer iterations of the ES, RX and even NX (but not the 2018+ LS500). All of the these have stepped up in different ways compared to their outgoing generation. I think its important to decide if you'd want a sedan vs an SUV.

I understand the appeal of the RX, but its really a completely different experience from a GS. Me personally, I think going from a GS to an LS is a more natural progression with the tradeoffs being the LS's added size and some sportiness factor compared to the 4GS.

Any chance your potentially totaled GS leads to you buying another GS? Maybe a 2020?

The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
jgscott (01-29-24), PGA71 (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 07:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

LS all day long to a GS. Can't believe we are trying to compare a Soccer Mom SUV with Sport Luxury Lexus cars here.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
AJLex19 (01-30-24), gripau1 (01-31-24), PGA71 (01-29-24)
Old 01-30-24, 09:08 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Curious whether anyone has ever owned the older hybrid LS models (around 2009).
Those things seem to be built like tanks, with fuel consumption of around 9L/100km.
I know that generation LS has some very costly suspension components. Not sure whether anything else is a problem.
Old 01-30-24, 10:44 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

LS = real deal Lexus. Big boy pants.
GS/RX etc = fake imitations of Lexus.

The choice is obvious when there’s no budget limit.
With a budget limit the others are still pretty nice but nowhere close of course.
But it seems like you weren’t sold on the RX so obviously you shouldn’t buy one.
Old 01-31-24, 08:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim
LS = real deal Lexus. Big boy pants.
GS/RX etc = fake imitations of Lexus.

The choice is obvious when there’s no budget limit.
With a budget limit the others are still pretty nice but nowhere close of course.
But it seems like you weren’t sold on the RX so obviously you shouldn’t buy one.
What's "fake" about a GS?
The following 3 users liked this post by JDR76:
AJLex19 (02-02-24), Carfan94 (02-02-24), jgscott (01-31-24)
Old 02-01-24, 04:51 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
What's "fake" about a GS?
It’s not a “real” Lexus. The LS is.
My opinion of course.
Old 02-01-24, 05:45 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Also just an opinion but I would put the GS right up against the LS as both "real" Lexus. Made in Japan, passionate teams behind them, cost cutting not really present. Despite being less luxurious, the GS still has wonderful features like double-pane windows, which is just unnecessary but evidence they were not f'ing around with quality. GS is just made to different tastes, of course, more like an A5/6 than an A8.

I'll probably be burned for this but when SUV/crossovers join your mind, don't be afraid to cross shop Acura. My other car is an MDX, and it is a lot of fun, too. Dead reliable and easy to care for, just like Lexus. SH-AWD is a must.

Edit: the MDX has about the footprint of the GS, but has 3 rows of passenger room, all the same luxury touches as a mid-level GS, supremely comfortable, especially for 2nd row, excellent engine (mine is a 2011 with nearly 200k, still runs as good as my GS and sounds almost the same.) I would not hesitate to consider another one.

Last edited by Lanson; 02-01-24 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 05:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

The GS has been a Lexus model from 1993.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan94 (02-02-24)
Old 02-01-24, 07:33 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
The GS has been a Lexus model from 1993.
and only built in Japan
The following 4 users liked this post by byungkuk:
AJLex19 (02-02-24), Carfan94 (02-02-24), jgscott (02-01-24), NJLEXES (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24, 11:56 AM
Drumr13
Rookie

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Also just an opinion but I would put the GS right up against the LS as both "real" Lexus. Made in Japan, passionate teams behind them, cost cutting not really present. Despite being less luxurious, the GS still has wonderful features like double-pane windows, which is just unnecessary but evidence they were not f'ing around with quality. GS is just made to different tastes, of course, more like an A5/6 than an A8.

I'll probably be burned for this but when SUV/crossovers join your mind, don't be afraid to cross shop Acura. My other car is an MDX, and it is a lot of fun, too. Dead reliable and easy to care for, just like Lexus. SH-AWD is a must.

Edit: the MDX has about the footprint of the GS, but has 3 rows of passenger room, all the same luxury touches as a mid-level GS, supremely comfortable, especially for 2nd row, excellent engine (mine is a 2011 with nearly 200k, still runs as good as my GS and sounds almost the same.) I would not hesitate to consider another one.
MDX is nice just don't need another 3 row in the family (have an Ascent). I do like Acura's styling, interior just doesn't do it for me. Still worth a drive though so appreciate the "thumbs up" for Acura

Quick Reply: GS to LS, RX?