Which GS to choose

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24 | 10:22 PM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Default Which GS to choose

I am thinking to buy one from the following three options:
1. 19 GS f sport AWD 56k miles OTD 34k, triple led plus Mark Levinson
2. 17 GS f sport 30k miles, OTD 34.5k no triple led and no Mark Levinson.
3. 16 GS f sport 60k miles, OTD 26.5k, triple led plus Mark Levinson

All of them are no accident with good maintenance. The only thing is that for 1 and 3, the Carfax shows no spark plugs changes up to now. For the tires and brakes, I think there is no worry within another 10k miles.

so which one is better, thought? 1 and 2 are from dealer, and 3 is from a private seller.
Old 03-10-24 | 07:00 AM
EAST
Advanced

Unless you need the AWD, then I'd say number 3. Take the savings and set aside for any maintenance.

I'd assume if it has triple beams, it probably has the safety features package which became standard in 2018 (so the 2019 for sure has them).

The only other thing is that 2018+ got the 4G upgrade, so the SOS button and telematics on the 2017 and 2016 wouldn't work. There's a spring/suspension thread that goes into detail on minor differences in spring rates between the years.
Old 03-10-24 | 07:12 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Personally my choice would none above. I would be patient and keep looking. If you are in Pa, you should def get a AWD if you are going to drive year around. AWD in good condition with lower miles is what I would wait for.
Old 03-10-24 | 07:35 AM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Originally Posted by EAST
Unless you need the AWD, then I'd say number 3. Take the savings and set aside for any maintenance.

I'd assume if it has triple beams, it probably has the safety features package which became standard in 2018 (so the 2019 for sure has them).

The only other thing is that 2018+ got the 4G upgrade, so the SOS button and telematics on the 2017 and 2016 wouldn't work. There's a spring/suspension thread that goes into detail on minor differences in spring rates between the years.

actually 3 is also AWD. I’ll go and check that thread to see the difference.
Old 03-10-24 | 07:39 AM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
Personally my choice would none above. I would be patient and keep looking. If you are in Pa, you should def get a AWD if you are going to drive year around. AWD in good condition with lower miles is what I would wait for.
Right now the price is higher than January. At that time there is a 2019 f sport with 24k miles only sold for 34k.
Old 03-10-24 | 09:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by msdmsdmsd
Right now the price is higher than January. At that time there is a 2019 f sport with 24k miles only sold for 34k.
Cars are not selling well right now. They are at like a 3 year low.

If, AWD and everything seems good. I would have a Lex or Toy shop check it out, then make a offer is ok and buy it. I'm particle to the Lux models because they are just loaded with so much more equipment. The # 3. F Sport with Triple and ML are nice to have along with the AWD you will need.

Had you disclosed that 3. was AWD that would have been my choice, but personally I like lower miles. Make sure you get it checked out. There are 3 - 4 major things a few of these GS's can have as problems that are expensive to repair. The F Sport brakes are expensive and a problem also.
Old 03-10-24 | 10:13 AM
msdmsdmsd
Rookie

If, AWD and everything seems good. I would have a Lex or Toy shop check it out, then make a offer is ok and buy it. I'm particle to the Lux models because they are just loaded with so much more equipment. The # 3. F Sport with Triple and ML are nice to have along with the AWD you will need.

Had you disclosed that 3. was AWD that would have been my choice, but personally I like lower miles. Make sure you get it checked out. There are 3 - 4 major things a few of these GS's can have as problems that are expensive to repair. The F Sport brakes are expensive and a problem also.
I also like the luxury package, but it's challenging to find one with low mileage, such as under 40,000 miles. Would you consider a luxury package with mileage over 50,000 miles?
Old 03-10-24 | 11:10 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I also like the luxury package, but it's challenging to find one with low mileage, such as under 40,000 miles. Would you consider a luxury package with mileage over 50,000 miles?
Lux is #1 imo. I would be patience, look further out Nationwide. One will come along. It's always about being in the right place, at the right time is all. Cars are being Traded, bought and Sold at Auctions everyday. I'm always patience, wait for exactly what I want. I always find it, by waiting and looking.
Old 03-10-24 | 06:54 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Point of clarification for potential buyers:

F-Sport RWD have expensive 2-piece 14" front rotors.

F-Sport AWD brakes are the same as base AWD brakes, and are essentially the same as standard RWD brakes - 13.1" front one-piece rotors. There is no cost or performance difference between F-Sport AWD brakes and base AWD or RWD brakes.

I wish I could get the bigger front brakes, but the AWD front knuckle is different enough that RWD calipers do not bolt up.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 03-10-24 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (03-11-24)
Old 03-10-24 | 07:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
Point of clarification for potential buyers:

F-Sport RWD have expensive 2-piece 14" front rotors.

F-Sport AWD brakes are the same as base AWD brakes, and are essentially the same as standard RWD brakes - 13.1" front one-piece rotors. There is no cost or performance difference between F-Sport AWD brakes and base AWD or RWD brakes.

I wish I could get the bigger front brakes, but the AWD front knuckle is different enough that RWD calipers do not bolt up.
Yes, I forgot they are the same brakes on the AWD
Old 03-11-24 | 01:08 PM
Nalod
Advanced

So hard to ask a group as most will advocate for what they own!
I you need or desire AWD, which I had you get very competent brakes that cost less to replace, you get square wheel set up making rotations possible, and for some the preferred 6 speed Trans.
I found the RWD a bit more fun to drive but the awd gives some nice grip when all four are doing its thing.
ML was a must for me. Thats just me.
I have an LS500 with the upgraded leather so I understand the "Lux appeal". Given mechanically there is little difference between that and the Fsport its really a nice upgrade. The Double ply glass and other goodies are nice.
Perhaps your age and plans to mod might dictate how you go.
But.......Patience is a virtue as mentioned and its also good advice as long as you have the time and faith to get a car via internet and not drive it first.

I had Triple Head lights but I would not put them as major priority if a lower mile car checked the other boxes. I know LED is like crack cocaine with some but really depends on how much night driving you do and where you do it.
HUD was somehing I had on other cars and its nice but if you wear polorized sun glasses you won't see it. Its cool, but was not a must have.
All in all I'd try to get no. 1 and negotiate hard. If they say no, and you patient, I'd walk.
There is always a deal.
Just know how long the car has been on the lot and you understand your leverage a bit.
PANICiii (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24 | 01:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Ok now. For the Record.

If you look at the op's 1st post he mentions two different GS F Sport RWD - NON AWD. Also note above I said a few of these GS's can have problems, Not the AWD brakes. The F Sport brakes on the RWD F Sport (which the op listed as 2 of his choices) do in fact have many experience problems and expense with the F Sport brakes.
Old 03-11-24 | 06:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

I am thinking to buy one from the following three options:
1. 19 GS f sport AWD 56k miles OTD 34k, triple led plus Mark Levinson
2. 17 GS f sport 30k miles, OTD 34.5k no triple led and no Mark Levinson.
3. 16 GS f sport 60k miles, OTD 26.5k, triple led plus Mark Levinson
All of them are no accident with good maintenance. The only thing is that for 1 and 3, the Carfax shows no spark plugs changes up to now. For the tires and brakes, I think there is no worry within another 10k miles.
so which one is better, thought? 1 and 2 are from dealer, and 3 is from a private seller.
If I read correctly, #3 you mentioned is AWD, that is the one i'd select. Seems like it's well optioned with ML, triple LEDs and AWD. I have 71k miles and haven't done a spark plug change (lots of differing opinons on the forum whether its even needed until 100k+).

Personally though, I've never bought any car from a private seller although I've been involved with positive experiences with many family members that went that route.
Old 03-11-24 | 06:47 PM
EAST
Advanced

I mentioned in other threads that are similarly asking for opinions, but given the chance, I'd take a triple LED headlight over some of the other options only because the cost to get that later is much higher than updating sound for example. I think it makes the car look a bit more modern but everyone has different opinions.

Don't get me wrong, the single beam looks sharp, especially with fogs, but I think the triple beams should extend the "it looks modern" looks for a few more years.

Or maybe LEDs are my crack lol.
​​​​​
AJLex19 (03-11-24)
Old 03-12-24 | 12:16 AM
robm
Driver

I would go for the 2016 since it is significantly cheaper. Maybe offer less money since most people expect to negotiate the price.

Quick Reply: Which GS to choose