GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tom's Performer Pads for GS F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 02:54 PM
Fis4Forty
Driver

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Tom's Performer Pads for GS F-sport

Well it is time for new front rotors and pads on my 2016 GS350 F-sport. Curious if any GS owners have replaced OEM with the Tom's Performer pads and had any feedback? These are popular amongst some GSF owners for the reduction in brake dust and squeal so wondering if these have similar benefits on the GS350. (I don't have any squeal but would be nice to eliminate some of that brake dust). Thanks all!
Old 03-11-24, 04:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I've looked at the Toms pads before. The prices I have seen were about $180 for the front pads. Tom's name stuff is over expensive & and highly overrated, imo. Looks like they are just Ceramic compound instead of Asbestos.

I use these two pads. - https://www.buybrakes.com/akebono-ac...et-2-wheel-set

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...utoModClar=RWD

No need for Shims. They already have the backing shim built in, and they are completely quite, very high quality brake pads.

Old 03-12-24, 06:38 AM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I've looked at the Toms pads before. The prices I have seen were about $180 for the front pads. Tom's name stuff is over expensive & and highly overrated, imo. Looks like they are just Ceramic compound instead of Asbestos.

I use these two pads. - https://www.buybrakes.com/akebono-ac...et-2-wheel-set

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...utoModClar=RWD

No need for Shims. They already have the backing shim built in, and they are completely quite, very high quality brake pads.
The TOMS Performer pads are a significantly higher performance pad than the ACT. In fact the ACT isn't even a performance pad, the Akebono ASP would be a more comparable pad, but even then the TOMS pads have a higher heat range of 0-500 degrees.

The TOMS pads are good. Cold initial bite is a bit softer but 3 normal applications seem to wake the pads up just fine and bite feels comparable to F Sport pads. The stopping force on a hard application is fantastic and the fade is significantly less than stock pads. They need a good bedding and some break in but they are a great pad that I would put very comparable to the Project Mu PS pads.

If you want something comparable to F Sport pads that dust less, no noise, good cold stopping and a bit more of a performance step, get the Akebono ASP. If you want a pad that is a performance step up from that, the Project Mu PS and TOMS are great options.

The Akebono ACT is a comparable replacement pad to the non F Sport pad, it isn't a performance pad.
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 06:55 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by InveredMP
The TOMS Performer pads are a significantly higher performance pad than the ACT. In fact the ACT isn't even a performance pad, the Akebono ASP would be a more comparable pad, but even then the TOMS pads have a higher heat range of 0-500 degrees.

The TOMS pads are good. Cold initial bite is a bit softer but 3 normal applications seem to wake the pads up just fine and bite feels comparable to F Sport pads. The stopping force on a hard application is fantastic and the fade is significantly less than stock pads. They need a good bedding and some break in but they are a great pad that I would put very comparable to the Project Mu PS pads.

If you want something comparable to F Sport pads that dust less, no noise, good cold stopping and a bit more of a performance step, get the Akebono ASP. If you want a pad that is a performance step up from that, the Project Mu PS and TOMS are great options.

The Akebono ACT is a comparable replacement pad to the non F Sport pad, it isn't a performance pad.
Have you used the Project Mu pads? I was looking at PS and B Spec, leaning more towards B Spec as I care more about cold performance, initial bite, and rotor deposits far more than brake dust, but I have found very few reviews on them.
Old 03-12-24, 07:00 AM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panyo64
Have you used the Project Mu pads? I was looking at PS and B Spec, leaning more towards B Spec as I care more about cold performance, initial bite, and rotor deposits far more than brake dust, but I have found very few reviews on them.
I have ran PS before and I like those as I like a more performance oriented pad. Very comparable to TOMs. If you want something a bit closer to stock with maybe slightly better performance but no noise and little dust, go with Project Mu NS-C. Although I will say my TOMS make zero noise and dust significantly less than stock F Sport.
Old 03-12-24, 08:31 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I have ran PS before and I like those as I like a more performance oriented pad. Very comparable to TOMs. If you want something a bit closer to stock with maybe slightly better performance but no noise and little dust, go with Project Mu NS-C. Although I will say my TOMS make zero noise and dust significantly less than stock F Sport.
Thank you.

The last time I did brakes on my car I installed all factory stuff - the rears started to judder after one hard brake from 80mph down to 30 mph, within 1000 miles of installing them. I've just been living with it for the last 15k miles but I'd like to avoid repeating that experience. I tried rebedding to no avail, and I'm now due for pads and rotors again, so I'm shopping around.
Old 03-12-24, 09:55 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 687 Likes on 605 Posts

Toms are great products. We sell their pads with positive feedback. Another cheaper alternative is stoptech/centric.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-12-24, 12:15 PM
Fis4Forty
Driver

All great feedback from everyone, many thanks.

Originally Posted by panyo64
Thank you.

The last time I did brakes on my car I installed all factory stuff - the rears started to judder after one hard brake from 80mph down to 30 mph, within 1000 miles of installing them. I've just been living with it for the last 15k miles but I'd like to avoid repeating that experience. I tried rebedding to no avail, and I'm now due for pads and rotors again, so I'm shopping around.
You had issues with the OEM rotors and pads? I am going to need new front rotors as well so curious to hear what you have been shopping. I was quoted around $400 (per rotor) for OEM fronts for my '16 F-Sport. I thought I saw a Lexus part # that was around $120 but maybe that was the non F-Sport. $400 per rotor seems a bit nuts for OEM especially considering the OEM GSF rotors I think are cheaper than that. Maybe I am looking at the wrong Part #?
Old 03-12-24, 12:17 PM
Fis4Forty
Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Toms are great products. We sell their pads with positive feedback. Another cheaper alternative is stoptech/centric.

-Josh
Josh, in your experience what's the best aftermarket front rotors for a '16 F-Sport that you have been selling based on the feedback?
Old 03-12-24, 02:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm fully aware that the ASP is better. Much better performance wise. I posted about in this forum many times in the F Sport brake threads. I have run both the ACT and ASP on my GS. The ASP has little fade and bites, very, very well at both low and high speed. If you read the op's 1st post? He said - "for the reduction in brake dust and squeal so wondering if these have similar benefits on the GS350. (I don't have any squeal but would be nice to eliminate some of that brake dust). Thanks all!. lol!So I never said the ACT was better. It was related to his concern about dust and squeal. NOT performance!

The ASP also will not escalate heavy Rotor wear. Be caution that some of the higher performance street pad compounds will escalate Rotor wear a lot faster due to the compound pad used to aid in the increase performance. The op never mentioned Performance in the 1st post I replied to, and neither did I. So I have no idea why you are saying someone said performance at all???
Old 03-13-24, 10:16 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 687 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
Josh, in your experience what's the best aftermarket front rotors for a '16 F-Sport that you have been selling based on the feedback?
Brembo OE or Centric.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (03-20-24)
Old 03-18-24, 08:35 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

R1 concepts ceramics. cheap, low dust, good bite... thank me later
Old 03-18-24, 03:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

R1 concepts are not so great. There are tons of complaints from Japanese and German cars owners about them. They have a consistent review of making noise. The E-Line is really cheap crap.
Old 03-18-24, 03:29 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

All of R1 Concept's stuff is cheap rebranded crap...
Old 03-18-24, 10:28 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not really arguing that point because I have never used their rotors, but to my surprise their pads have been great for me. I bought them in pinch back during covid out of sheer desperation when supplies were thin, and they have been great. We are healthcare workers in our home so we were always on the road commuting all through covid and needed likely more maintenance than most people that weren't driving much during that time period. I ended up grabbing some more and putting them on 3 different vehicles = the GS, 335 Bimmer and a Honda accord, all headache free. Maybe I got lucky. I typically run akebono pads and be done as I only need low dust and my driving habit doesnt really require anything beyond avg stopping power.

Quick Reply: Tom's Performer Pads for GS F-sport