GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

‘16 F-Sport w/ non F-Sport brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 09:14 AM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts
Default ‘16 F-Sport w/ non F-Sport brakes???

Hey guys, need some help here. There have been some long debated old posts about the differences between the F-Sport rotors/calipers/pads and the non F-Sport trims. (Also RWD vs AWD setups). It is time for my 2016 F-Sport RWD to get new rotors and pads, and after doing some research, it looks like the previous owner may have put on the wrong brakes for my F-Sport RWD trim.

Here Is a picture of the current front rotors:

Clearly mine are not the two piece rotor for the F-Sport RWD as seen on eBay listing from a Lexus dealer:

Obviously the F-Sport RWD rotors are the larger 14” two piece versions. After seeing a few videos of people changing rotors on older GS350 models (non F-Sport and one that was an F-Sport AWD) it seems to me that my rotors are one of the two. (I will take the wheels off and investigate further)

Ultimately, here are my questions:
1.) If I do replace with the OEM two-piece, can I use the existing calipers or do I need new calipers specific to the F-Sport RWD?
2.) If I replace to aftermarket (Centric), can I use existing calipers or do I need new calipers for the aftermarket rotor?
3.) I haven’t had any issues with the brakes so can I just replace with whatever existing parts are on there without causing long term damage? (If they are the part numbers I think, they are way cheaper than the two piece ($88 vs $350)
4.) It seems like the F-Sport pads are different than the non F-sport but does that mean the size is different? Asked another way, do aftermarket F-Sport Pads (Tom’s) fit a non F-Sport caliper (if the calipers are different)?

For added color, my GS350 is my daily driver, higher mileage, driven spirited but not modded. Best cost effective option is is what I am aiming for so all my car fun money can go into my GSF. As always, appreciate all the feedback!
Old 03-15-24, 12:05 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
Hey guys, need some help here. There have been some long debated old posts about the differences between the F-Sport rotors/calipers/pads and the non F-Sport trims. (Also RWD vs AWD setups). It is time for my 2016 F-Sport RWD to get new rotors and pads, and after doing some research, it looks like the previous owner may have put on the wrong brakes for my F-Sport RWD trim.

Here Is a picture of the current front rotors:

Clearly mine are not the two piece rotor for the F-Sport RWD as seen on eBay listing from a Lexus dealer:

Obviously the F-Sport RWD rotors are the larger 14” two piece versions. After seeing a few videos of people changing rotors on older GS350 models (non F-Sport and one that was an F-Sport AWD) it seems to me that my rotors are one of the two. (I will take the wheels off and investigate further)

Ultimately, here are my questions:
1.) If I do replace with the OEM two-piece, can I use the existing calipers or do I need new calipers specific to the F-Sport RWD?
2.) If I replace to aftermarket (Centric), can I use existing calipers or do I need new calipers for the aftermarket rotor?
3.) I haven’t had any issues with the brakes so can I just replace with whatever existing parts are on there without causing long term damage? (If they are the part numbers I think, they are way cheaper than the two piece ($88 vs $350)
4.) It seems like the F-Sport pads are different than the non F-sport but does that mean the size is different? Asked another way, do aftermarket F-Sport Pads (Tom’s) fit a non F-Sport caliper (if the calipers are different)?

For added color, my GS350 is my daily driver, higher mileage, driven spirited but not modded. Best cost effective option is is what I am aiming for so all my car fun money can go into my GSF. As always, appreciate all the feedback!
There are aftermarket 1 piece 14" rotors for the RWD F-Sport, which those may be.

All other GS350s, RWD and AWD, use 13.1" front rotors, which would sit an inch too small in your factory caliper, unless the prior owner also swapped in non-F calipers. The RWD F-Sport caliper sits out farther to accommodate the larger rotor.

The only way for us to tell would be to see a picture of the whole wheel and brake.
Old 03-15-24, 03:18 PM
EAST
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Yea I have some (unknown brand) 1 piece rotors on my RWD FSport.

Old 03-15-24, 05:24 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes apologies for the terrible pictures. I need to pull the wheel off but it’s been pouring rain all day so haven’t had time. Never considered it could be aftermarket one piece 14” so that is helpful. Here’s more crappy pictures that show the caliper I tried to snap in the rain:

I think you guys nailed it…looks like the same caliper with an aftermarket 14” rotor. I will get the wheel off to confirm and see if I can find any sign of brand or part number. Thanks guys already a big help.
Old 03-25-24, 03:55 AM
Btex
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EAST
Yea I have some (unknown brand) 1 piece rotors on my RWD FSport.

You have F Sport Brake callipers. None F variant looks like in the picture.