GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlight Restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 06:35 PM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight Restoration?

Hello it has been a while since I posed hope everyone is doing well!

I have a 2013 gs350 just hit 164,444 miles the other day. As expected not everything is in mint condition anymore but the headlights are on another level I have wet sanded and polished them twice and they keep hazing up. I have had enough of them and am at the point where I either want to replace them entirely or ideally just replace the lens. That’s where I need help does anyone know of this being done? And if so are there any recommendations for services that do it? I know of mail in options which I would assume are the most common.

On the note of updating my headlights are there any options to update the bulbs to LED or anything better than my stock 2013 bulbs? The truth is I am pretty uneducated in the headlight realm and don’t know if any upgrades as such exist and if they are responsibly priced at all.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-24, 07:35 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@TurnerS only 164,444 miles?? You're barely broken-in

On my '13, my headlights were hazy after just about 50k miles and 6yrs. I got into a fender-bender last year and one of the headlights chipped. I decided to get two new OEM lamps from mylparts.com and had them PPF'd. I'm now a firm believer in adding paint protection film to headlights.

Here are my suggestions:
  • I would have them cleaned up (you said you have wet sanded and polished them) and have a reputable local shop install Xpel PPF. There are some DIY pre-cut kits online too - I tried an eBay 3M pre-cut kit but was unsuccessful in my attempt as the PPF wouldn't stretch over one of my lamps properly but a DIY attempt is definitely worth it if you don't want to pay the premium price a shop might charge.
  • You can upgrade to some of the aftermarket triple LED headlamps offered on eBay or Alibaba. Here are a few members that have done so:
  • There are some lens kits you can buy online but require the headlamp to be heated/baked to remove the lens itself. I have no experience myself with this but here is someone who outlined that process on a 3GS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-re-seal.html
Keep in mind, Toyota headlamps always suffer from headlamp hazing after a 8-12months - any option you go with, the lens will eventually haze and cloud unless you have your headlights PPF'd. I've done enough DIY headlight restoration kits, done professionally at a detailer, etc over the years to finally realize its too much of a hassle...get new lamps, or restore your current ones and have PPF installed immediately after to enjoy headlamps that will look great for a lot longer.

For a brighter aftermarket HID bulb, most members have gone with either Philips D4S X-TremeVision or Osram Night Breakers. Here is a recent thread on headlamps, bulbs, upgrades etc: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...omparison.html

Last edited by AJLex19; 03-20-24 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (03-21-24)