GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 Lexus GS 350 RWD 93645 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 06:23 AM
FutureLexT93
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Lexus GS 350 RWD 93645 miles

Considering purchasing my first Lexus North Carolina driven Lexus GS with 93k miles for 20995 just wondering what are some things I should look for and forward to I work from home so and simply need a reliable car Im coming from a Toyota Avalon that didn’t need much yearly maintenance I’m hearing things about the tires but more so on the IS does the GS have the same issue as far as wear and tear on the tires
Anything else I should look out for ? Any information or insight is appreciated
Old 03-28-24, 08:45 AM
oldguy77
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Have the same car

Other than oil changes had to put a sunroof seal in last month. Perfect car
The following 2 users liked this post by oldguy77:
AJLex19 (03-28-24), FutureLexT93 (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 09:50 AM
gaki
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Look for maintenance history, see what recalls have been performed. Toyota/Lexus states that the transmission fluid is lifetime, it's not. If you're buying this from a Lexus or Toyota dealer, have them swap out the trans and diff fluids.
The following users liked this post:
FutureLexT93 (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 10:23 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

First welcome to CL! 4th Gen GS is more reliable than 90% of cars out there. It's not without problems though. Every 2 weeks are so there is a new comer asking this same thing. Someone may link you, but if you do a search there are tons of threads that will give you the info you are asking about.

You are looking at a used car. Frist thing to look for is a Toyota or Lexus dealer to have it checked out on a lift. One example to look for of a few are the a/c servo motors, and shocks. That's $1k - $3k plus to repair if not under warranty of customer assistance from Lexus. My advise as a long time Lexus Owner. Look for a Lux package GS, best options (I'm biased).
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
AJLex19 (03-28-24), bclexus (03-28-24), FutureLexT93 (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 10:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureLexT93
Considering purchasing my first Lexus North Carolina driven Lexus GS with 93k miles for 20995 just wondering what are some things I should look for and forward to I work from home so and simply need a reliable car Im coming from a Toyota Avalon that didn’t need much yearly maintenance I’m hearing things about the tires but more so on the IS does the GS have the same issue as far as wear and tear on the tires
If you're looking at a RWD F-Sport, there are higher costs with the bigger brake components up front and staggered tires that tend to wear quicker. Since you're coming from a Toyota Avalon, you're probably used to a very cushy, comfortable, hassle-free experience. The GS is like the sporty, young, athletic one of the bunch - it's a lot more fun to drive than the Avalon!

In my ownership experience in the last 9rs of having my AWD Premium '13 GS350, i've changed the serpentine belt ($65), sunroof seal ($50), interior analog clock ($230) and had the stealership fix a bad A/C o-ring ($500) in 2021 and last year a failing A/C Condensor ($2000). The sunroof seal and clock seem to common issues. Random interior rattles, failing servo motors, leaky F-Sport shocks and infotainment issues after battery changes are also often discussed on the forum.

No perfect, flawless used car - i think as long as it has a good maintanance history, you have it checked out by a mechanic and pull the trigger...it will be a great experience. You might think since I've had those issues above i'd consider the GS unreliable, but far from it - just want to give you the truth as many folks feel like nothing should ever go wrong since its a Lexus, Toyota DNA, bulletproof, etc. Address any annoyances as they come up, and you'll be a happy camper.

Oh, and the 4GS forum has lots of helpful tips, tricks and helpful members always willing to give you thoughts/opinions/shared experiences - good luck and hope you join the 4GS family!

The following 3 users liked this post by AJLex19:
bclexus (03-28-24), FutureLexT93 (03-28-24), jgscott (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 11:40 AM
FutureLexT93
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If you're looking at a RWD F-Sport, there are higher costs with the bigger brake components up front and staggered tires that tend to wear quicker. Since you're coming from a Toyota Avalon, you're probably used to a very cushy, comfortable, hassle-free experience. The GS is like the sporty, young, athletic one of the bunch - it's a lot more fun to drive than the Avalon!

In my ownership experience in the last 9rs of having my AWD Premium '13 GS350, i've changed the serpentine belt ($65), sunroof seal ($50), interior analog clock ($230) and had the stealership fix a bad A/C o-ring ($500) in 2021 and last year a failing A/C Condensor ($2000). The sunroof seal and clock seem to common issues. Random interior rattles, failing servo motors, leaky F-Sport shocks and infotainment issues after battery changes are also often discussed on the forum.

No perfect, flawless used car - i think as long as it has a good maintanance history, you have it checked out by a mechanic and pull the trigger...it will be a great experience. You might think since I've had those issues above i'd consider the GS unreliable, but far from it - just want to give you the truth as many folks feel like nothing should ever go wrong since its a Lexus, Toyota DNA, bulletproof, etc. Address any annoyances as they come up, and you'll be a happy camper.

Oh, and the 4GS forum has lots of helpful tips, tricks and helpful members always willing to give you thoughts/opinions/shared experiences - good luck and hope you join the 4GS family!

Thank you so much for this yes it is the F Sport package including aero dynamic package, F sport wheels, Brembo brakes
Old 03-28-24, 12:16 PM
FutureLexT93
5th Gear

Default Maintenance update

Originally Posted by gaki
Look for maintenance history, see what recalls have been performed. Toyota/Lexus states that the transmission fluid is lifetime, it's not. If you're buying this from a Lexus or Toyota dealer, have them swap out the trans and diff fluids.

Thank you for your response..there isn’t much maintenance history from 2021-2023 just registration renewed / vehicle inspection
In 2023 the fuse link & unspecified fuses were replaced since then nothing trying to decipher if that is good or bad lol prior to that the last alignment was in 2016 and it doesn’t seem like the car was driven much since 2021 the mileage has only increased 2k since 2021
Old 03-28-24, 03:21 PM
GS350PHX
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don’t worry about tires

Good advice above. The potential tire wear issue (front inner) should not impede you from buying a great car. It’s a relatively minor issue and can be mitigated without too much difficulty.

Every car has its issues but the GS350 is a gem of a car. Best wishes.
Old 03-28-24, 03:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

The 2015 GS350 RWD has the most tied down sports suspension from 2013-20.
Hence, be careful of the tiring ride, especially compared to your Avalon.
However, the 2015 handles almost like a compact sedan.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:15 PM
NewGuy109
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FutureLexT93
Welcome, you have come to the right place.

I feel very confident that after you read all these threads you'll be left with very few negative opinions compared to other makes and models. I have a lot of seat time in mine, no squeaks, vibrations or major issues.

I have a 2015 GS350 F-Sport RWD (my preferred driveline - only wish would have been a manual option too!)

This car, like many have stated, will have higher running costs over your Avalon, but in my opinion, you should find it worth the added price.
I have just under 150K miles on mine and just returned from a 1200 mile road trip. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in that car right now and drive another 2000 miles.. it has never left me stranded and is one of the smoothest grand tourer I have had, its also kinda of fun in the switchback roads too. ( It pipes out a lower growl when you push it ) Now don't get me wrong, its not a two door sports car but its not bad for a sedan!

Here are just some things to consider if you'll be a long term owner:

-Door locks go out often on SOME but NOT all GS350s. Ive replaced mine MULTIPLE times but after the dealership charged me $500 per lock, I bought five mini motors off Amazon and its a $5 fix, plus your time. so not a negative to me as Its easy now.

- Tires - if you keep the 19" OEM rims, you'll spend more due to the size. Going to 20" or other sizes may offer more budget friendly tires. (I keep my vehicle longterm so factory spec for me)

- Sunroof might knock when going over uneven pavement, dealer will want $1200, just buy an OEM sunroof gasket from Lexus parts counter and simply pull the other one off, and replace with the new one. (youtube video, line up the dot in the middle of the glass and ten minutes later the knock when going over a speedbump is gone. )

- Spark plugs - pricey compared to the Avalon, could be double the price per, but last a long time. I changed mine at 120K still looked like new..

- MPG - that depends on your foot! results will vary. there are tanks that I enjoy pushing the V6 and then there are times I set the cruise control and relax.
On my recent 1200 mile mostly all highway trip I averaged 28 mpg but in the city it could drop to 22. ... this week with mixed driving I am getting 24 mpg. So if MPG is your goal, factor in that cost.

- Insurance - depending on your carrier, Lexus can cost more than Toyotas, so call your carrier before signing any papers and get a quote.

I could go on here but for the sake of time, I will close by saying, If you have time, maybe rent a GS350 for a week from one of the many car sharing apps and get the answers you are looking for.

Good Luck, hope to read that you decided to join the club! Have a great rest of the year!
The following 2 users liked this post by NewGuy109:
AJLex19 (03-28-24), FutureLexT93 (03-29-24)