GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front bumper help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 07:47 PM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front bumper help

Hello everyone, I am in the process of fixing up some of the cosmetic imperfections around my 2013 Obsidian black GS350 one of which being the front bumper which is covered on rock clips and scratches from almost 165,000 miles of use. I know I want to replace it but I don’t know what is going to be the best option. Here are my options I have thought of.

1. Buy an oem front bumper and have a local body shop paint it.

2. Buy an aftermarket bumper and have a local body shop paint it.

3. Buy an aftermarket painted bumper online from a website like Paint a part, paint N ship, or painted auto parts.

My question is what is my best option?
I was quoted $500 by a local body shop to have a front bumper painted is that a reasonable price I am planning on reaching out to more places but is that what it typically cost? Does anyone know how aftermarket front bumpers fit on the gs or is it worth spending more and getting an oem? Also does anyone have experience with those paint websites are they any good or not worth messing around with?

Thanks so much for all the help!!
Old 04-10-24, 08:11 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I like Option 1.

I was in a recent accident and needed a new front bumper. The difference in price for an OEM bumper vs aftermarket was something like $260 vs $480. I went for the OEM bumper painted and installed by my local body shop. Here is my original post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11605270

I don't have any experience with any aftermarket bumpers but if you want to ensure no fitment issues, i'd say go OEM if it fits the budget. $500 seems reasonable for the entire bumper (i paid around $600 if i remember correctly). I also had XPEL PPF installed after getting a new bumper/paint - and I highly recommend it to save the bumper from rock chips, scuffs and the like.
Old 04-10-24, 08:37 PM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I like Option 1.

I was in a recent accident and needed a new front bumper. The difference in price for an OEM bumper vs aftermarket was something like $260 vs $480. I went for the OEM bumper painted and installed by my local body shop. Here is my original post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11605270

I don't have any experience with any aftermarket bumpers but if you want to ensure no fitment issues, i'd say go OEM if it fits the budget. $500 seems reasonable for the entire bumper (i paid around $600 if i remember correctly). I also had XPEL PPF installed after getting a new bumper/paint - and I highly recommend it to save the bumper from rock chips, scuffs and the like.
Thanks for your feedback I definitely worry with aftermarket fitment sounds like it’s not really worth the gamble in the end. I do plan on getting PPF done especially because I will be doing a lot of highway driving. How much did you pay to have it done? I haven’t really looked into it much but I’m sure it will be a worthy investment.
The following users liked this post:
tompass (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 03:54 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TurnerS
Thanks for your feedback I definitely worry with aftermarket fitment sounds like it’s not really worth the gamble in the end. I do plan on getting PPF done especially because I will be doing a lot of highway driving. How much did you pay to have it done? I haven’t really looked into it much but I’m sure it will be a worthy investment.
I paid $600 for the front bumper using XPEL PPF. I also paid $150 to get my new OEM headlamps fitted with the same PPF.

I gave a pre-cut DIY headlight 3M PPF kit a shot..but I couldn't get one side to fit properly. I ended up removing and having it done professionally from the same shop that does the bumper PPF.
Old 04-12-24, 10:09 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I have an aftermarket bumper. Most aftermarket bumper comes folded in a box for easy shipping. The shop would need to massage it back. Fit over all is okay. The bumper bolts on and lines up with the body lines. All the clips and holes line up and the grille pops in without mod. But it all comes down to the hole for the sensor, fog lights and headlamp washer. Parking sensors seats fine after making the hole a tad bigger. Same with the headlamp washer. The chrome ring for one of the foglight rattles a bit.Other than that, you can't really tell it's aftermarket.
Old 04-12-24, 04:00 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

A good body shop may be able to reuse your bumper.