GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'16-'17 GS 350 AWD non-F Sport but with ML?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 07:37 PM
mAurelius
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '16-'17 GS 350 AWD non-F Sport but with ML?

I have pretty specific specs I’ve narrowed down to, and so far I’m having no luck. I’m wondering if what I am trying to find is just too rare?

I am looking nationwide at both dealers and private party.

I want a 2016-2017 GS 350 AWD with Mark Levinson sound, but NOT F-Sport. I prefer the smoother ride of the base, and also I don’t love the red interior (sorry). As a daily driver I think I’ll be happier without the tighter F Sport suspension. Of course also the usual like clean carfax, lower miles, well maintained, etc.

I like some of the other packages too like luxury but at this point I’d be happy to just find ML on a non-F Sport.

So far my search is coming up dry. I’ve been looking for a couple months and haven’t seen anything. (The other challenge is sometimes dealers don’t post ML in the description so it’s hard to tell).

Was this a super rare combo when new or do I need to just wait a bit more?

I do know that the ML exists in the non-F Sport version...I've seen them online on various old listings. And it seems like Lexus included it as an independent option from what I can see on the original brochures.

I’m committed to the GS 350 so if it’s too rare maybe I give up the ML sound. Although I’m a bit of an audiophile so I like the idea of that system.
Thanks for any insights!
Old 04-26-24, 10:44 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are somewhat of an audiophile, the ML system sucks. I came from a 2IS without ML and feel that was better than the ML in the 4GS.

the tweeterless set up stinks IMO and I ended up getting a DSP and changing out all of speakers, added tweeters and a sub.

i don’t think you’ll be missing out getting one without ML. You’ll probably end up upgrading the audio regardless.

otherwise the car is fun to drive
Old 04-26-24, 10:54 PM
EAST
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Does it have to be a base? You'd have better luck with a Lux having ML.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (04-27-24)
Old 04-27-24, 01:02 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,174 Likes on 865 Posts

I think it will be almost impossible to find a non lux, non f-sport 4GS with Mark Levinson. I think I may have seen one or two randomly when searching - any I saw were 2019 or 2020. Its a very rare option when it comes to base/premium models.

Not surprised you haven't found it - you would need to go through every listing interior photo set to see if it has the levinson logo on the radio.

I recommend testing each system - sit in a GS with the base system and listen to it...then sit in a GS with the ML and see how much of a difference it makes to you. I personally wouldn't make the ML a deal breaker. It's already hard enough to find a refreshed GS as Lexus manufactured less and less of them each year! Just ask @lookinforalexus (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-clean-gs.html)
Old 04-27-24, 02:37 PM
Mitho1991
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
If you are somewhat of an audiophile, the ML system sucks. I came from a 2IS without ML and feel that was better than the ML in the 4GS.

the tweeterless set up stinks IMO and I ended up getting a DSP and changing out all of speakers, added tweeters and a sub.

i don’t think you’ll be missing out getting one without ML. You’ll probably end up upgrading the audio regardless.

That's not true, my 2018 FSPORT with ML sounds amazing. You may not like it but it sounds fantastic
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (04-29-24)
Old 04-27-24, 08:58 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw few base models, maybe none, with ML when I was looking. However, ML was not a requirement for me, nor was F Sport, so I wasn’t really seeking this out

I am picky about audio at home, consider myself somewhat of an audiophile as well. I am less picky in the car, it needs to be good enough so it doesn’t constantly bother me by sounding like crap. That being said, I found the base audio in my 2013 and now in my 2017 perfectly adequate. I’m sure ML is better, but I don’t really ever find myself wishing I had it. I’ve never heard it, though.

Last edited by CottageChz; 04-27-24 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 09:22 AM
EAST
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I looked through a few pages of base pictures and gave up lol. It was easier to just look for the Lux model wheels and confirm the ML audio.

Here's a couple you didn't say where you were, so it's just a nationwide search.

It's been in two accidents but still somehow Lexus certified for 2 years.
https://www.lexusofannarbor.com/auto...r-mi/89668882/

https://www.bobjohnsonlexus.com/used...dea81e6b11.htm

https://www.astorgauto.com/inventory...z1clxla012410/

​​​​​
Old 04-28-24, 01:55 PM
mAurelius
3rd Gear

Thank you for the replies! It definitely doesn’t have to be base, I’d love to find a Lux with ML. So it sounds like that should be findable. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks all!
Old 04-29-24, 01:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

You added aftermarket Amps also if you added a DSP correct? What amps did you install?
Old 04-29-24, 06:58 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
You added aftermarket Amps also if you added a DSP correct? What amps did you install?
went with a helix v8 mk2 for dsp/amp for front stage and a helix m one x for sub

when you decide to upgrade your ML or non-ML, have no fear!! 8’s fit in the door like a glove.

sorry just swapped out the 6x9’s for 8’s today and was stoked it fit without mod 🙂

Last edited by aznKewlguy; 04-29-24 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 07:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

went with a helix v8 mk2 for dsp/amp for front stage and a helix m one x for sub

when you decide to upgrade your ML or non-ML, have no fear!! 8’s fit in the door like a glove.

Those are Speakers.

I asked if you added Aftermarket Amp also, because you said you installed a DSP in your GS.
Old 04-29-24, 07:30 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Those are Speakers.

I asked if you added Aftermarket Amp also, because you said you installed a DSP in your GS.
helix v8 is a dsp and 8ch amp combo. It’s powering my tweets, midranges,midbasses and center channel. Helix m one x is powering my sub

Last edited by aznKewlguy; 04-29-24 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-30-24, 11:01 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 334 Likes on 210 Posts

I too was not a fan of the red interior (its subjective) but loved my 2020 Fsport with ML.
It too is subjective as what your personal taste is. sound and preference are very personal.
Don't let anyone tell you what you ike or don't. Its your ears.
We tend to advocate for what we have or do to our cars.
I had an fsport with black interior. Found the ride not harsh at all, but again, that too is subjective!!!!
I thought they was a cut off when they stopped making Lux as an option? 2017 and beyond? Perhaps someone can chime in.
Might be easier to find a nice Fsport and put a different wheel on it to make it a bit more comfy?
The ML system is both loved and hated by many. There is always opinions on it both ways.
Its your money and your ears.
Old 04-30-24, 01:48 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine is a lux without ML don't miss it. I listen to music on YT music via carplay
Old 05-29-24, 05:48 PM
mAurelius
3rd Gear

helix v8 is a dsp and 8ch amp combo. It’s powering my tweets, midranges,midbasses and center channel. Helix m one x is powering my sub
aznKewlguy: Do you have a full write up or how-to guide somewhere about how you go from stock to this helix system in a GS4? I'm considering foregoing the ML system (mostly because it seems impossible to find without the F-Sport), and I'm intrigued with a DIY speaker + Amp system. Does this hook into the stock head unit pretty well?

I am not afraid of doing my own speaker wiring, did a lot of that when I was younger. I was under the impression that with the 10 speaker system in the GS4 base it would be too complicated to do your own aftermarket speakers, but based on what you are saying it seems like maybe it's not too difficult. What would you say?

Quick Reply: '16-'17 GS 350 AWD non-F Sport but with ML?