GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Holgram's RR Racing CF Intake Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-24 | 11:39 PM
Holgram
Rookie

Default Holgram's RR Racing CF Intake Install

Hello everyone, I recently blew up my Mazda 3 2021, here are it's specs:
Mazda 3 2021 2.5L AWD Supercharged AT Sedan Preferred | Performance: TB ground (8awg), Spare tire delete, ti supercharger pulley bolts, cat delete, Mazda Sauce Tuning: 91 octane, VT Racing: twin screw supercharger, 61mm supercharger pulley, CorkSport: CAI, Rear engine mount, Rear sway bar, 2.5" cat-back exhaust (with OEM resonator swap, welded tips), Oil catch can, Lexus: 23221-31130 fuel pump, Mazda: Gen 4 turbo intake snorkel, Auto Exe: Member brace, Floor crossbar, Center floor bar, Motion control beams, NGK: 93026, Ultra Racing: Front strut bar, Rear frame brace, Spoon: front & rear rigid collars, Mikstore: Center structure board, Dohon: 65D23L, Gates: 1535mm green belt, DEI: Cool tape, Mishimoto: Aluminum lug nuts, ZSpec: stage 3 ti bolts | Wheels: König Hypergram (18”x8.5” +45) | Tires: Toyo Proxes Sport A/S (235/40/R18XL)

You can read my extensive reviews on Mazda3revolution

I recently bought a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD with 130,000 in really good shape. I put all new fluids in it, 4 x pan drop ATF WS from Toyota with the filter, Toyota rear diff oil, Toyota coolant, Ravenol transfer case oil, new fuel filter. Soon I will do a carbon build up clean and put in silver spark plugs.

I just today installed the CF intake pipe from RR Racing and a K&N filter to the stock box.

The RR Racing pipe came scratched in a major way, there is no real structural damage but definitely visual appeal is degraded. Having bought this straight from RR Racing as new, this shouldn't have been the case. There was no instruction included. The silicone hose which connects the pipe to the throttle body is not at the correct angle, it doesn't quite match up to the intake box, by a lot actually. Also the pipe is not long enough, when the silicone hoses are flush to the tabs on the intake bx and the throttle body, the silicone hoses only go over the cf intake pipe just very, very barely bigger than the width of the hose clamp. There definitely needs to be more length. The silicone hose is thick and because I had to angle the one that connects throttle body to intake pipe the provided hose clamp was not big enough. I had to use another one that I bought separately. As there were no instructions and I had stuff to do, I basically rested the K&N breather right on the head. So it rattles slightly while driving. Honestly, kind of disappointing, the fitment is not quite perfect, the angle is way off and the length is off too. It feels like a prototype that needs work rather than a finished product.

The K&N filter, was a perfect fit. Not much to say, we all know, K&N is the king of flow.

The car sounds much quieter with the cf intake under heavy acceleration, it doesn't have that very weird noise generator. It does seem like the throttle response is more snappy, which is nice.

If the fitment of the pipe was better, I'd definitely be happier. With the fitment imperfect, I am not fully satisfied I am. I will be contacting RR Racing, and bringing up the fitment issue.
Old 05-01-24 | 02:02 AM
Charlie777
Driver

Definitely bring up the intake issue to them. If you bought new directly from them, I’d either return or ask for a discount from the damage. Regarding the fitment, I’ve seen others say the same thing unfortunately. Worth it to bring that up to them as well in case they have some different couplers to send out.
Old 05-03-24 | 11:39 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Sounds exactly like something RR racing would do. They are pretty well known for sending out damaged products and no installation instructions.
Old 05-04-24 | 04:43 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

What's wrong with the intake noise sound enhancer? Am I the only one that thinks it sounds pretty good?
The following users liked this post:
4GS350 (06-16-24)
Old 05-04-24 | 10:56 AM
EAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by zheka130
What's wrong with the intake noise sound enhancer? Am I the only one that thinks it sounds pretty good?
I like the stock intake sound. Then again, I haven't compared with an intake that has that part removed.
Old 05-04-24 | 11:52 AM
Holgram
Rookie

I agree that it makes a nice sound. However for smoother flow dynamics, it doesn't contribute. I always try to squeeze as much power as I can from my vehicles, this one will be no exception. It is soon headed for bigger cams along with reinforcement of the upper and rods and such and then supercharging.
Old 05-06-24 | 01:13 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

I'd love the opportunity to help you with this. Have you emailed or called us?

These pipes have the ability to adjust and align with the clamps and couplers. We sell approximately 10-12 of them per week which gets close to 500 a year and that's every year. There have been no complaints about the couplers or the length of the pipe that I have been made aware of. We just installed one here at the shop this morning. If you are having an issue with a coupler you are welcome to email me a picture of it with some measurements so we can see if something was sent in error. That's usually the best way to resolve things.

Also, If the carbon had an unsatisfactory scratch in it, same thing, please allow us to address it. This is something that does happen from time to time with Carbon. We are usually very good with spotting marks on Carbon but they can slip out.

I always try to squeeze as much power as I can from my vehicles, this one will be no exception. It is soon headed for bigger cams along with reinforcement of the upper and rods and such and then supercharging.
Very few have tried the cams route (only 1 that I know of ) and it turned out to be very fruitless and a total waste of money and time for the owner. Bolting our Supercharger on will bring you right to the power level where your trans is still not being put at a large risk and at this power level does not need any internal modifications. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Measured (05-09-24)
Old 05-06-24 | 01:23 PM
Holgram
Rookie

Yes I did call you guys and was told to send you an email to address a few issues with some of the products I have ordered. I have been drowning in work and intend to send you the email today hopefully wiht pictures and such too.
Old 05-06-24 | 02:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Holgram
I agree that it makes a nice sound. However for smoother flow dynamics, it doesn't contribute. I always try to squeeze as much power as I can from my vehicles, this one will be no exception. It is soon headed for bigger cams along with reinforcement of the upper and rods and such and then supercharging.
Sorry you are having these problems. You may want to do some/lots of research on the 2GR Engine. It's not the Mazda engine you already blew up. You are talking about $10k plus in cost to do the things you are talking about. Likely closer to the $12k plus. Even then you won't be reliable for very long at all. Check the 2nd Gen IS350 Performance section. For way less cost with bolt on's and the correct Tune, some of the IS350 guys have gotten down to 4.3 - 4.6sec 0-60 times.

The drop in filter Intakes are ok, but not the ones that produce the most power with other bolt on mods. As a example - The 2GR here has been modded here on CL and tested with the Intakes, and has documented Intake air flow CFM numbers, IAT intake air temp, Enlarged and ported polished TB, throttle position opening percentages, and upper and lower Intake Manifold, port and polish. The 2GR is a little different engine. Also doing FI builds like S/C, Turbo, and NO2 require adjustments to not blow up other than cams, rods, and internals. The GS350 2GR is already a race engine built engine design technology marvel from the factory.
Old 05-06-24 | 09:05 PM
Holgram
Rookie

Which intake are you saying is superior to the current one I have with the CF pipe and the K&N filter that utilizes the OEM snorkel and box assembly? I'm flexible, I'll switch intake systems if they will genuinely make more power even without a giant fan and open hood in a dyno.
Old 05-07-24 | 10:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

@Holgram PM sent.
Holgram (05-07-24)
Old 05-08-24 | 06:14 PM
Holgram
Rookie

I sent RR Racing an email three days ago. I am just waiting for their reply.
Also, for those wondering here are some photos I had taken when I was doing the install.

The first image shows the imperfections in the intake pipe.

The second image is showing me having jerry rigged the intake to fit. It's not easy to see but you can definitely see that I stretched the tb to intake pipe coupler to offset the wrong angle. This caused the intake pipe to be too short with minimal clearance of the hose clamp on both coupler to intake connections. I had not installed the included K&N breather to the valve cover just yet when I took this photo. I obviously did that. The provided hose clamp did not work as I had to stretch the tb to intake pipe coupler. I used a bigger hose clamp. It's still pretty solid as it is, but not heaving enough intake to clear the hose clamp is definitely dangerous, as if it could much more easily come off. I may or may not have blow up a another engine because of this... Yeah, I definitely did do that once.
Old 05-08-24 | 07:58 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

I also installed an intake kit on my car and immediately noticed the rumble loss from not having the sound generator o the inlet pipe. Throttle response does feel slightly sharper. No fitment issue to report with FSport intake kit, aluminum pipe coincidentally came scratched.
Holgram (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24 | 08:27 AM
Holgram
Rookie

I also heard that the F sport box top fits on this and flows better than the non-F sport box.

The F sport bottom however does not fit.
Old 06-15-24 | 08:44 PM
Holgram
Rookie

I am happy to report that RR Racing has sent me a proper kit now. I have since decided to go with Takeda's CAI and am very happy with it. If anyone wants to buy my RR Racing intake, you can DM me.
2013 GS350 AWD LUX, spare tire and tools delete, Trigga Spec: Tundra 76mm throttle body w/spacer & coolant delete, ported lower & upper intake manifold, aFe: Takeda stage-2 pro 5R oiled CAI, Apexi: midpipe w/ceramic coating, Revel: Axle-back w/ceramic coating, High Spark: Premium coilpack, NGK: 94122, Konig: Rennform 18x8 45+, Toyo: Proxes Sport A/S 235/45/18, RR Racing: USRS race edition, KYB: Gas-A-Just w/AVS all around, Stoptech: sportstop cryo sport drilled rotors all around, Akebono: Performance ultra premium front, ProACT ultra premium back, Techna-fit: stainless steel brake lines all around, Anti-Gravity: Li battery Non-stop tuning: Al water pump pulley, Mishimoto: Al lug nuts, DEI: cool-tape

Quick Reply: Holgram's RR Racing CF Intake Install