GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AWD: must replace all tires together ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 01:02 PM
almanlexus
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD: must replace all tires together ?

I have a '15 GS 350 AWD. My front tires are still pretty good, only about halfway worn, still drive just fine. Can I replace just the two back tires without having to do all 4 at once ? I've been seeing different things about this issue. Some say you MUST replace all 4 tires at once on AWD cars. Seems like a sales gimmick to vastly boost tire sales. I've read that you're supposed to check the manual on this, but I checked and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know for sure the answer ?
Old 05-13-24, 02:38 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Welcome! I think it really depends on the tread depth. If your front tires are at 4/32" or 5/32" and the new rear tires will be the same brand/make/model tires at 10/32" or 11/32", I would replace all.

You want to keep the overall diameter as close as possible for your AWD. The wider the gap in tread depth between current tires and new ones you plan to mix, the more likely you should replace all. See this helpful thread and some good responses/links: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...wd-system.html
Old 05-13-24, 03:55 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by almanlexus
I have a '15 GS 350 AWD. My front tires are still pretty good, only about halfway worn, still drive just fine. Can I replace just the two back tires without having to do all 4 at once ? I've been seeing different things about this issue. Some say you MUST replace all 4 tires at once on AWD cars. Seems like a sales gimmick to vastly boost tire sales. I've read that you're supposed to check the manual on this, but I checked and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know for sure the answer ?
As long as you have adequate tread depth on your fronts (meaning you have more tread depth than the tire wear indicators), there are no issues with buying rear tires only. Just make sure you have the same make and tread pattern on all fours. So, if your fronts are Michelin Pilot 4S (as an example), then the rears should also be Michelin Pilot 4S. The two tires on the same axle MUST be the same make and the same tread pattern and the same tread depth - otherwise, you risk a difference in handling (as well as possible issues with your safety systems such as traction control), because each unmatched tire is creating different forces on the corners.
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (05-14-24)
Old 05-17-24, 12:58 PM
almanlexus
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Welcome! I think it really depends on the tread depth. If your front tires are at 4/32" or 5/32" and the new rear tires will be the same brand/make/model tires at 10/32" or 11/32", I would replace all.

You want to keep the overall diameter as close as possible for your AWD. The wider the gap in tread depth between current tires and new ones you plan to mix, the more likely you should replace all. See this helpful thread and some good responses/links: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...wd-system.html
Thank you both for your help ! I should have specified that my front tires are at 5/32. Since I don't drive very many miles any more Post-COVID (far less office commuting), my next set of tires will likely last the remaining life of the car. So I decided to bite the bullet and replace all of them. I figured it was also worth getting the enhanced rain and snow traction from new tires, and I might as well enjoy that now rather than waiting any longer. I really appreciate your help, thanks again !
The following users liked this post:
Lanson (05-17-24)