GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 single tire pressure warning light goes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-24, 02:36 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
From what I’ve seen that is a nice tool but it’s hit and miss when it comes to being cost effective. You need to consider the cost of the tool and how many times it will be used, the labor for someone to actually install the sensor and the actual cost of the sensor. Is that going to be less than $300?
Apparently, Toyota Motor Corp buy their TPMS sensors from Denso.
Amazon.com : Toyota-TPMS-sensor Amazon.com : Toyota-TPMS-sensor

Can use dedicated TPMS programmer like the MaxiTPMS TS508 below.
Autel Maxitpms for sale | eBay

Or just use very cheap Toyota TechStream software and cable to register the new TPMS below for only some $50?
Amazon.com : Toyota-MINI-VCI Amazon.com : Toyota-MINI-VCI

Excellent summary video below:

Old 06-13-24, 05:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,558 Posts

@peteharvey - Discount Tire (and I presume America's Tire) uses Bartec TPMS tools to clone/register customer's TPMS sensors.
Old 06-13-24, 07:35 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
@peteharvey - Discount Tire (and I presume America's Tire) uses Bartec TPMS tools to clone/register customer's TPMS sensors.
From the Car Care Nut.
Apparently, best to use genuine TPMS.
Else, at least use Denso.
Cloned and other non-genuine TPMS often have issues.

Old 06-13-24, 08:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From the Car Care Nut.
Apparently, best to use genuine TPMS.
Else, at least use Denso.
Cloned and other non-genuine TPMS often have issues.
@peteharvey - I don't care much for the 'Car Care Nut' at all (for reasons I won't get into) but if he thinks it's best to use genuine TPMS sensors, I do agree. If I was going to replace the TPMS units I would only replace with genuine units like Lexus/Toyota installed.
The following users liked this post:
thisguy_06 (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 10:53 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

I would stay away from eBay or Amazon. Buy either Denso, Dill or Pacific. All the same sensor. Rockauto if you’re going to dig into the DIY.
Old 06-13-24, 02:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
@peteharvey - I don't care much for the 'Car Care Nut' at all (for reasons I won't get into) but if he thinks it's best to use genuine TPMS sensors, I do agree. If I was going to replace the TPMS units I would only replace with genuine units like Lexus/Toyota installed.
Originally Posted by lexo98
I would stay away from eBay or Amazon. Buy either Denso, Dill or Pacific. All the same sensor. Rockauto if you’re going to dig into the DIY.
You guys not too keen on using the Toyota TechStream software and USB to Onboard Diagnostic OBD-II plug cable for only $56, that not only reprograms the new TPMS sensors, but also can control many other electronic features of the motor vehicle like headlight delays etc?
Amazon Amazon

Jump to 00:04'28" for Toyota TechStream software and cable.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-13-24 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-13-24, 02:58 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

You guys not too keen on using the Toyota TechStream software and USB to Onboard Diagnostic OBD-II plug cable for only $56, that not only reprograms the new TPMS sensors, but also can control many other electronic features of the motor vehicle like headlight delays etc? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Toyota-MI...f=nb_sb_noss_1

https://youtu.be/dqGfk1V625M?si=G4HHiAS2FpF5RVLL&t=268
I have access to scan tools so don’t need it but if it fits in the budget maybe some will consider it.
Old 06-13-24, 03:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You guys not too keen on using the Toyota TechStream software and USB to Onboard Diagnostic OBD-II plug cable for only $56, that not only reprograms the new TPMS sensors, but also can control many other electronic features of the motor vehicle like headlight delays etc? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Toyota-MI...f=nb_sb_noss_1

https://youtu.be/dqGfk1V625M?si=G4HHiAS2FpF5RVLL&t=268
No problem that I know of using that... I've used the Carista app to do what little I wanted done.
Old 06-21-24, 06:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how TPMS seems to work.

Each TPMS sensor has its own individual ID code.
TMC probably has a batch of ID numbers.
While aftermarket brands have a different batch of ID numbers.

Using a Toyota TechStream Panasonic ToughBook laptop for $5k, the four TMC TPMS ID codes are programmed into the vehicle's ECU.

After 5-10-15-years, the old genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors can be replaced with brand new genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors at great cost, keeping in mind that the vehicle's ECU has already been pre-programmed to accept a batch of ID codes from genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors.
A Toyota TechStream laptop at $5k is required to upload the new TPMS ID's corresponding to the brand-new set of 4 sensors.
Else, pay the dealer a small fee to use their Toyota TechStream laptop.

An imitation Toyota TechStream CD-ROM software and OBD-II cable for only $50 can be used, but often these imitations can only read [download], and cannot write [upload] new TPMS ID codes to the vehicle's ECU.

Aftermarket on-board computers can be used eg XTOOL D7 [below], D8 & D9 at a high cost like $1k to upload new TPMS ID codes.
Though some on-board computers do better than others at TPMS issues, so a lot of homework to do.
The Car Care Nut recommends that the X-Tool D7 is one of the better OBD tools; though the Autels are said to be better again, while the genuine Toyota TechStream laptop is still the best - at a price.

There are also aftermarket on-board computers that "specialize" or are "limited to" dealing with TPMS like the high-end ageing Autel TS601 which can actually upload new TPMS ID codes, but the TS601 is an ageing design with old fashioned software update via SD card, and older slower CPU.
The model code TS means that it is specialized for TPMS computing.

The Autel TS608 is a newer TPMS model with wi-fi update, quicker processor, wireless OBD-II dongle, huge 7" tablet touchscreen, and lots of other general OBD features added despite TPMS being its core specialty - but is even more costly.

The Autel TS900 is a TPMS model with an even bigger 8" tablet touchscreen, and even costlier again.

However, if non-genuine aftermarket TPMS sensors are used, the vehicle's TMC ECU can reject the aftermarket TPMS sensors with foreign ID batch of codes!
Hence, the Car Care Nut recommends to only use genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors on TMC vehicles.

Overall, we must either use genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors - at a price.
Then, at a price again, use high-end on-board computers to write/upload the new genuine OEM TPMS ID's to the vehicle's ECU.

Alternatively, the only other way is to use aftermarket non-genuine TPMS sensors that have programmable nee variable ID codes!
In this situation, we use specialized on-board lower-end hand-held computers limited to TPMS functions like the old entry level Autel TS401, or the old mid-range TS501, or the newer entry level TS408, or the newer midrange TS508 or TS508WF Wi-Fi which can clone the old TPMS ID codes in the vehicle's ECU to the new programmable ID codes of the aftermarket non-genuine TPMS sensors with fresh batteries.

The newer handsets boast wi-fi updates over clumsier USB updates, as well as quicker processors.
The top selling new mid-range handset is the Autel TS508WF wi-fi will plug into the vehicles OBD-II socket to download/read the ICU's old OEM TPMS ID's.
It will then program the old OEM ID's into the aftermarket programmable TPMS sensors; this process is known as "cloning".
The new aftermarket TPMS with fresh batteries will then have the same ID codes as the old OEM TPMS sensors with flat batteries.
Done!

It must be emphasized that the entry level old Autel TS401 and new entry level TS408, as well as the old midrange TS501 and the new midrange TS508/WF that all sell for $200 +/- may NOT write/upload new TPMS ID codes to the vehicle's ECU! [I will have to confirm this in time and edit this post].
Though it can autocreate ID codes depending on make/model, and upload/write that to the ECU.
It can only read/download the TPMS ID from the vehicle's ECU and write/upload that TPMS ID via cloning to the manufacturer's very own programmable TPMS sensor, eg Autel handsets will write to Autel TPMS sensors, while Zylux handsets will write to Zylux TPMS sensors.

After wheel rotations, the handset can relearn the new position of the individual TPMS sensors and upload the new positions to the ECU.

In summary, cheaper to use a non-genuine TPMS sensor with programmable nee variable ID codes.
Then use a midrange $200+ Autel TS508WF to program the old OEM ID codes into the new programmable aftermarket sensors in a process called cloning, so that the new aftermarket sensors with fresh batteries act just like the old OEM sensors with flat batteries.
As opposed to purchasing genuine OEM TMC TPMS sensors for a small fortune - which in turn requires spending another small fortune to buy high end on-board tablets and laptops to upload/write the new OEM TPMS ID codes to the vehicle's ECU!

Sensors: 2024 Autel MX-Sensor 315&433MHz Programmable TPMS Universal Tire pressure Sensor | eBay
Handset: Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF TPMS Relearn Tool TPMS Sensors Activate/Reset/Programming | eBay
Kit: Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF Kits TPMS Programming Activate Tool +8PCS 2in1 MX-Sensors | eBay

​​

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-22-24 at 03:05 PM.