GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help - 2013 Lexus GS350 Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-24, 07:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I had a ES350 and a GS350 at the same time. My GS350 normally sat for weeks undriven in the garage sometimes. Maybe not driven for 2 weeks. After the time when I went to start it, the battery would be drained enough that it would not start. I Did Not take it to the shop because I knew about the all Lexus models current drain. I never installed a battery tender, but did start to leave it on a 8amp charger overnight to fully charge once a week. I knew if it continued I would be buying a new battery soon. The 2 week overnight charge did the trick, if I did not drive it during that time.

The point is..... there was nothing wrong with the charging system at all. In addition as a battery gets older its Cells start to reduce the amount of reserve amp capacity also. These battery's are not Deep Cycle battery's which are designed to be drained and recharged for extended life. My advise to the op is to not write the car off due to this if they like it, but do get a check out at Lexus or Toyota for that and all other things.
Jamie - The vehicle's charging system is not the problem - - it never has been thought to be the problem.

The problem is caused by some load (i.e. current) source from within (inside) the vehicle's electrical system that draws enough current (in the milliamp range) but enough that drains the battery down to the degree or state where the battery no longer has the ability to turn over the engine and start the car. This is known as a 'parasitic' (from within) draining that can drain down a battery in just a short period of time - anywhere from a month or two to as little time as literally overnight.

One of the first suspects for the cause of the current drain is usually to look for something like a dash cam in parking mode or some other aftermarket electronic item added to the vehicle that continuously draws a small amount of current, but the parasitic drain has happened with brand spanking new Lexus and Toyota vehicles with no such equipment. At one point in time it was thought the parasitic drain culprit was a component solder land on a printed circuit board of a GATEWAY ECU. But I think that has been given up on... The parasite remains a mystery to this day!
Old 06-14-24, 08:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

THIS is a typical experience for many Lexus GS owners!
Old 06-14-24, 08:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@gio707 - This may be the fix for the GS 350 you considered buying!

It might very well be worthwhile to have the the Network Gateway ECU replaced to have a wonderful low mileage 2013 GS 350!

This is the TSB issued by Lexus: L-SB-0035-16 (TSB was issued July 8, 2016)

LEXUS TSB Subject Title ' Intermittent Battery Discharge'

Introduction
Some 2013 – 2015 model year Lexus ES, GS, and IS vehicles may exhibit an intermittent
discharged battery occurring with no apparent source of discharge found. One possible cause
may be the Network Gateway Computer not properly going into sleep mode at key OFF.
This can
result in excessive parasitic draw and a discharged battery condition.
Follow the procedure in this
bulletin to identify and address this condition.

► This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the options and produced BEFORE the Production
Change Effective VINs shown below.

GS350 AWD
With Options Blind Spot Monitor or Lane Departure Alert
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHCE1BL#E5028690

GS350 2WD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHBE1BL#E5044369

► The Fix is: R & R Network Gateway ECU with new ECU version P/N: 89100-30181

$137.53 Retail for the new version ECU and 1.2 hours labor to replace it.

► New Version Network Gateway ECU: P/N 89100-30181

► They are often available on eBay for about ½ price (removed from a wrecked car but like a ne one) - Just make sure it is the correct new part number.

► The Network Gateway ECU is 'plug and play' - no programming or special equipment is required to replace it...

According to our 'take-it-apart and put-it-back-together' expert @eddie420 - It's REALLY easy to access the Network Gateway ECU. Basically take out 5 screws, remove glovebox, tada! The Network Gateway ECU is sitting right there. It's the thing that has the bright orange label on it.

One Club Lexus GS 350 owner said the following:
I was able to replace my ECU and that nasty parasitic drain is gone! Turns out I had an ECU even older than one mentioned in the TSB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10134349-9999.pdf (451.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by bclexus; 06-14-24 at 07:12 PM. Reason: orthography
The following 4 users liked this post by bclexus:
eddie420 (06-14-24), NJLEXES (06-14-24), PA2017 (Yesterday), tompass2 (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 02:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@gio707 - If you're still around - maybe you can obtain the VIN of the 2013 GS 350 (with only 46k miles) you were considering to buy (that this thread is about).

If that particular 2013 GS 350 has a VIN before VIN: JTHBE1BL#E5044369 I would bet it still has the original problematic Network Gateway ECU, and replacing it with the new ECU version will correct the battery draining/starting problem.

If it still has the problematic Network Gateway ECU I would bet the Lexus dealership's service center never checked for a TSB that addressed this customer's problem that prompted multiple jump-starts, tows, battery purchases and shop visits...

Do you know, or can you find out, what the VIN is for the GS 350?

Last edited by bclexus; 06-14-24 at 02:57 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-14-24, 03:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The newest Gateway resolved the issue for some. Others it did not still. The Fix is - driving the car, or keeping on a battery Tender. Period.

Nothing wrong with that car, likely 60% plus of the GS's and other Lexus right here on CL would have the same problem today if they sat undriven for weeks.
Old 06-14-24, 04:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The newest Gateway resolved the issue for some. Others it did not still. The Fix is - driving the car, or keeping on a battery Tender. Period.

Nothing wrong with that car, likely 60% plus of the GS's and other Lexus right here on CL would have the same problem today if they sat undriven for weeks.
Jamie - I doubt that. I sure as hell hope not.

Cars with healthy batteries sit undriven at airports and on car lots for many, many weeks all the time and they fire the engine right up with no struggle just like they are supposed to do...

So, tell me Jamie - why my car was able to sit undriven without any charging or ever having a battery tender from 4/30/2020 until 12/8/2021 (for 587 days or 1year, 7 months) with the 12 volt battery fully connected and ready for duty - - and it load-tested perfectly healthy two days later on 12/10/2021...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-15-24 at 03:36 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-14-24, 07:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

To wrap up this lengthy (yet hopefully informative) thread about parasitic drain on car batteries - for those that are interested - this is what a Network Gateway ECU actually does:

Gateway ECUs are used to control and facilitate inter bus communication to have seamless communication between different networks in a vehicle. Gateway ECUs can have multiple interfaces with various communication buses such as CAN, LIN, I2C , Flexray, MOST. It interprets messages from one bus for another. The advent of telematics in a vehicle brings lot more challenges than ever, specifically for gateway modules. Future gateway modules need to be compatible with external communication networks such as GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE.

So, if by chance you have issues with your car's Bluetooth, or maybe problems playing music from a plugged-in memory source, or echoing or dropped calls while using a smart phone, etc., etc. it might be due to the Network Gateway ECU and replacing it with the new version might take care of those issues.

I hope you found plenty of interesting information that helps!

Last edited by bclexus; 06-15-24 at 12:56 PM. Reason: orthography
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-24, 08:23 AM
gio707
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus;[url=tel:11740496
11740496[/url]]To wrap up this lengthy (yet hopefully informative) thread about parasitic drain on car batteries - for those that are interested - this is what a Network Gateway ECU actually does:

Gateway ECUs are used to control and facilitate inter bus communication to have seamless communication between different networks in a vehicle. Gateway ECUs can have multiple interfaces with various communication buses such as CAN, LIN, I2C , Flexray, MOST. It interprets messages from one bus for another. The advent of telematics in a vehicle brings lot more challenges than ever, specifically for gateway modules. Future gateway modules need to be compatible with external communication networks such as GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE.

So, if by chance you have issues with your car's Bluetooth, or maybe problems playing music from a plugged-in memory source, or echoing or dropped calls while using a smart phone, etc., etc. it might be due to the Network Gateway ECU and replacing it with the new version might take care of those issues.

I hope you found plenty of interesting information that helps!
Thank you all to have replied and have engaged in this discussion. I appreciate everyone’s input and contributions. Here is the link for the vehicle, including the VIN.

https://www.carmax.com/car/25920181

As posted earlier, I pulled all of the Lexus service records from the Lexus website and they align with the Carfax, which points to a parasitic drain problem the car may have. As others have noted, it could be the ECU or something else contributing to the parasitic drain. It appears from the VIN that this would be an ECU issue; but want others to provide their input. Thanks again, all.
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-24, 08:39 AM
gio707
Rookie

Default Carfax

Attached is the Carfax.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 Lexus GS 350 Car Fax.pdf (529.2 KB, 24 views)
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-24, 09:05 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This has long been a problem for all Lexus for years now. I think the original factory Gateway in the 13 and others would have come with is part # 89100-30180. Like I said before many many GS and other Lexus have this problem but not showing up due to not parking the car for weeks without driving. The New TSB Gateway I think is 89100-30181.

There are a few other weird things that can create a drain also for example, they have found a few Lexus that had a seat belt buckled in the back seat, cause the SRS restrain to be in a mode that drew current. If was me depending on other things about the GS I would have it checked out, and use the battery problems as leverage with the dealer to try and talk the price down. Is the GS still for sale?

A 13 with that mileage does not show up often.
Old 06-16-24, 09:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gio707
Attached is the Carfax.

@gio707 The car's VIN# JTHBE1BL2D5028655 has the #D5028655 number so it appears to be BEFORE the production #E5044369 VIN production number - leading me to firmly believe this car does indeed very likely have a problematic Network Gateway ECU that causes parasitic battery drain.

But the good news is - the fix is inexpensive and easy!

I am quite certain that replacing the originally installed problematic Network Gateway ECU with the newest version P/N 89100-30181 will take care of the car's parasitic battery drain problem and make this car a very nice, problem-free and low-mileage 2013 GS 350.

It's really too bad this car's owner didn't have a Lexus dealer that would find out about the problematic Network Gateway ECU and replace it. But someone is going to benefit from that pathetic Lexus service - and that someone might as well be you!

If I was considering buying this car and after investigating and assessing the information in this thread, I would definitely have a very good feeling about buying it, and that replacing the inexpensive Network Gateway ECU would fully take care of my concerns.

► This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the options and produced BEFORE the Production
Change Effective VINs shown below.

GS350 AWD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHCE1BL#E5028690

GS350 2WD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHBE1BL#E5044369

Last edited by bclexus; 06-16-24 at 10:05 AM. Reason: orthography
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
gio707 (06-16-24), PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-24, 09:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@gio707 - I see on the CarMax link it says the car is 'Not currently available - Shipping to CarMax Santa Rosa, CA'

Is this car still available to you or has it been sold?
Old 06-16-24, 11:04 AM
gio707
Rookie

This has long been a problem for all Lexus for years now. I think the original factory Gateway in the 13 and others would have come with is part # 89100-30180. Like I said before many many GS and other Lexus have this problem but not showing up due to not parking the car for weeks without driving. The New TSB Gateway I think is 89100-30181.

There are a few other weird things that can create a drain also for example, they have found a few Lexus that had a seat belt buckled in the back seat, cause the SRS restrain to be in a mode that drew current. If was me depending on other things about the GS I would have it checked out, and use the battery problems as leverage with the dealer to try and talk the price down. Is the GS still for sale?

A 13 with that mileage does not show up often.
CarMax doesn’t allow for negotiations, but I can totally take the Lexus service records, Carfax, and TSB to see what they’re willing to do. Yes, the GS is still for sale and currently reserved to me. You’re right - a low mileage GS like this one doesn’t show up often.
Old 06-16-24, 11:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

CarMax doesn’t allow for negotiations, but I can totally take the Lexus service records, Carfax, and TSB to see what they’re willing to do. Yes, the GS is still for sale and currently reserved to me. You’re right - a low mileage GS like this one doesn’t show up often.
If you can, get a good coverage Extended service contract as far out as you can, years and mileage. Also ask them if they checked the charging system, and/or if they will? The Service contract will be payed back in a repair or 2 for sure. I still have a long one on my 13 GS350 Lux. There are a few things that could go wrong that are rather costly.

PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-24, 01:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the GS is still for sale and currently reserved to me. A low mileage GS like this one doesn’t show up often.
Very good! Yes, a car like that is rare and hard to find!

I bet the car is in excellent shape - even better than excellent!.

I hope you give it a good look over and end up buying it. With only 46k miles on a 2013 it's only been driven a few thousand miles per year. It looks really nice, most likely treated well and was probably only gotten rid of because of the ongoing parasitic drain on the battery problem. But you could certainly benefit from it... And the fix is easy and inexpensive!

Last edited by bclexus; 06-16-24 at 04:56 PM. Reason: orthography
PA2017 (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Help - 2013 Lexus GS350 Electrical Issue