GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help - 2013 Lexus GS350 Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-24, 08:24 PM
gio707
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@gio707 The car's VIN# JTHBE1BL2D5028655 has the #D5028655 number so it appears to be BEFORE the production #E5044369 VIN production number - leading me to firmly believe this car does indeed very likely have a problematic Network Gateway ECU that causes parasitic battery drain.

But the good news is - the fix is inexpensive and easy!

I am quite certain that replacing the originally installed problematic Network Gateway ECU with the newest version P/N 89100-30181 will take care of the car's parasitic battery drain problem and make this car a very nice, problem-free and low-mileage 2013 GS 350.

It's really too bad this car's owner didn't have a Lexus dealer that would find out about the problematic Network Gateway ECU and replace it. But someone is going to benefit from that pathetic Lexus service - and that someone might as well be you!

If I was considering buying this car and after investigating and assessing the information in this thread, I would definitely have a very good feeling about buying it, and that replacing the inexpensive Network Gateway ECU would fully take care of my concerns.

► This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the options and produced BEFORE the Production
Change Effective VINs shown below.

GS350 AWD
With Options Blind Spot Monitor or Lane Departure Alert
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHCE1BL#E5028690

GS350 2WD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHBE1BL#E5044369
Yes, you’re right - based on what everyone has shared and the fact the VIN shows it falls under the TSB, it looks like this is the solution. You said it perfectly - it’s too bad that this Lexus dealership failed this customer. I can see why the owner may have decided to let the car go - due to this reoccurring issue of the parasitic drain which was unknown to him. That dealership totally failed him. I totally am feeling more comfortable of making the purchase after gathering all of the relevant facts on this thread and history on this issue. Many thanks to you all.
The following 2 users liked this post by gio707:
bclexus (06-17-24), PA2017 (Today)
Old 06-16-24, 08:25 PM
gio707
Rookie

@gio707 The car's VIN# JTHBE1BL2D5028655 has the #D5028655 number so it appears to be BEFORE the production #E5044369 VIN production number - leading me to firmly believe this car does indeed very likely have a problematic Network Gateway ECU that causes parasitic battery drain.

But the good news is - the fix is inexpensive and easy!

I am quite certain that replacing the originally installed problematic Network Gateway ECU with the newest version P/N 89100-30181 will take care of the car's parasitic battery drain problem and make this car a very nice, problem-free and low-mileage 2013 GS 350.

It's really too bad this car's owner didn't have a Lexus dealer that would find out about the problematic Network Gateway ECU and replace it. But someone is going to benefit from that pathetic Lexus service - and that someone might as well be you!

If I was considering buying this car and after investigating and assessing the information in this thread, I would definitely have a very good feeling about buying it, and that replacing the inexpensive Network Gateway ECU would fully take care of my concerns.

► This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the options and produced BEFORE the Production
Change Effective VINs shown below.

GS350 AWD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHCE1BL#E5028690

GS350 2WD
With VIN# BEFORE VIN: JTHBE1BL#E5044369
Originally Posted by jgscott
If you can, get a good coverage Extended service contract as far out as you can, years and mileage. Also ask them if they checked the charging system, and/or if they will? The Service contract will be payed back in a repair or 2 for sure. I still have a long one on my 13 GS350 Lux. There are a few things that could go wrong that are rather costly.
You’re right and I will totally take a look at this.
The following users liked this post:
PA2017 (Today)
Old 06-16-24, 08:27 PM
gio707
Rookie

Very good! Yes, a car like that is rare and hard to find!

I bet the car is in excellent shape - even better than excellent!.

I hope you give it a good look over and end up buying it. With only 46k miles on a 2013 it's only been driven a few thousand miles per year. It looks really nice, most likely treated well and was probably only gotten rid of because of the ongoing parasitic drain on the battery problem. But you could certainly benefit from it... And the fix is easy and inexpensive!

I agree and we shall see what happens in the next few days, as I am still waiting for it to be delivered so I can go in person to see it and talk to them about their inspection, including the history of the vehicle - mainly the parasitic drain problem.
bclexus (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 07:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by gio707
I agree and we shall see what happens in the next few days, as I am still waiting for it to be delivered so I can go in person to see it and talk to them about their inspection, including the history of the vehicle - mainly the parasitic drain problem.
Let us know what you see when you're able to look at it in-person, and let us know what you decide. Exciting!
Old 06-17-24, 07:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gio707
Let us know what you see when you're able to look at it in-person, and let us know what you decide. Exciting!

Last edited by bclexus; 06-17-24 at 07:59 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-17-24, 08:16 AM
tompass2
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting regarding having seat belt in back buckled and possibly experiencing a parasitic draw. Was not driving the car very much last year and had to replace battery that was installed on year prior. Have dog bed that is always on back seat and is buckled in.... Have been driving more often now, which is most important, so all is fine but will unbuckle that doggie bed.
Old 06-17-24, 09:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tompass2
Very interesting regarding having seat belt in back buckled and possibly experiencing a parasitic draw. Was not driving the car very much last year and had to replace battery that was installed on year prior. Have dog bed that is always on back seat and is buckled in.... Have been driving more often now, which is most important, so all is fine but will unbuckle that doggie bed.
Actually, a buckled seatbelt in either the front or rear seat (even without a passenger in it) could keep the car from going to sleep when it's designed to go to sleep and that can cause an aggressive drain on the battery. With respect to the back seats, this usually only happens if the vehicle has features for the back seat occupants that are initialized or triggered by sensors or by the seat belt being buckled. Not all vehicles have such back seat features however, so it might not apply to all vehicles that buckling a back seat belt will prevent the car from going to sleep.

How people are often able to get by with
unintentionally causing their car not to go to sleep as it is designed to do (by doing something like keeping a seat belt buckled all the time) without enduring a drained battery is because they drive the vehicle often enough to offset or overcome the battery drain. But, you can imagine how changing from driving daily or thrice a week to maybe parking the vehicle for a week or two changes that parameter and then unexpectedly the owner suddenly finds that his relatively new battery won't start the engine. The reason is often because something is preventing the car from going to sleep, and the battery drain parasite from within is caused by something as simple and unwittingly as maintaining a buckled seat belt.
tompass2 (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 09:16 AM
tompass2
10th Gear

Makes sense. Many thanks.
bclexus (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 02:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by tompass2
The SRS system which is in the back seat labeled near the door on the back part of the seat will cause the SRS system to draw current if the seat belt in back is fastened on the GS. Period. That's why I mentioned it.
tompass2 (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 02:55 PM
tompass2
10th Gear

Yup. Certain will unbuckle that reat belt if we have occasion to let car sit for more than week or so! Easy enough.
jgscott (06-17-24)
Old 06-19-24, 05:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@gio707 - What's the latest update about buying the car? We enthusiastically want to know!
Old 06-20-24, 07:49 PM
gio707
Rookie

@gio707 - What's the latest update about buying the car? We enthusiastically want to know!
Hi all,

I saw the vehicle, but decided not to buy it. I let the representative from CarMax know about the issue and told them I was not comfortable buying it. I left them the paperwork (Lexus service records) and the TSB so my hope is that whoever buys it, does their homework like I did. I also hope CarMax repairs the vehicle now that I made them aware of the issue and by providing them with the paperwork. I am thankful to all of you for helping. Many thanks and it’s up for grabs if anyone wants to purchase the car. I just hope that the issue gets resolved before it’s sold. Tires were in need of replacing and a couple of cosmetic issues. CarMax didn’t counter offer in the sense that they’d be willing to fix the electrical issue and replace the tires if I was willing to buy it.
Old 06-20-24, 07:54 PM
gio707
Rookie

PA2017 (Today)
Old 06-23-24, 01:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@gio707 - Okey-Dokey!

It's doubtful any used car dealership such as CarMax will make a repair (i.e. replace the Network Gateway ECU) when a repair is not knowingly or visibly needed. I seriously doubt they will look into the battery drain issue and TSB you left with them because it is not currently an issue as the car sits on the lot for sale, probably with a solar battery tender.

As for the tires, some used car dealerships may replace tires that are very close to failing state requirements, but if they still have decent tread they'll probably elect to sell the car with those tires. You've got to remember it's a decade old used car, not a one year old Certified Lexus on their Lexus CPO lot ...

Maybe someone else has followed this thread and will buy it knowing what little is involved to make it a wonderful low-mileage 2013 GS.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-25-24 at 05:30 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-23-24, 01:16 PM
gio707
Rookie

@gio707 - Okey-Dokey!

Maybe someone else has followed this thread and will buy it knowing what little is involved to make it a wonderful low-mileage 2013 GS.
Yes, you’re totally right. Sharing my experience, I would say that CarMax provided me with a decent customer service experience. I called the Customer Experience Consultant line to share my experience. As I let everyone know, they didn’t offer or tell me they would make things right. As noted in the service records, the tires were replaced years ago and the tires will be a minimum of $1,000 purchase, so they definitely missed the mark and didn’t recondition the vehicle. A couple of door dings and touch up on the paint, so I had to pass on the deal. I own a 2011 Lexus IS350 AWD and have about 86K miles on it to date, but this was certainly a car I considered to “upgrade” to due to the bigger size. Thanks again, all.
The following 2 users liked this post by gio707:
bclexus (06-23-24), PA2017 (Today)

Quick Reply: Help - 2013 Lexus GS350 Electrical Issue