GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Possible suspension/steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-24, 09:11 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

New parts arrived, will endeavor to install and compare soon. Initial opinion is they are nice and firm, but compliant. I'll be able to compare back to back with an old one in my hand, also I debated on installing just one and taking the car around the block for a left/right subjective comparison. If it isn't raining when I install, I may go for it.

Old 07-02-24, 04:48 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a little closure:

Got the GS-F bracket/bushings installed and all is well. I did end up test driving with just the driver's side done, I noticed a slight increase in what I would call NVH under my feet, but I did NOT notice any of the other sensations I mentioned at the start of the thread and I do believe these bushings were shot.

I put some torsion on one and got this:

I'm just going to go on record and suggest if you have 100k-ish miles on your GS, and you see some "mild" cracking like mine, maybe swap them out. On AWD models the process is so simple, the only thing that can get in your way is the ground so lift it up to clear some tools. I completed the job in 1.5 hours including a 15 min test drive with it 1/2 done.

I'll update the thread if I end up hearing/feeling anything else, but I bet this solved it.
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (07-02-24)
Old 07-02-24, 07:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Today I was able to get the car up side to side as I rotated the tires. I did a basic shakedown but without a lift and specific techniques of putting a prying and trying to flex things, I didn't feel anything loose.

I did see some small cracks in the left front rear control arm bushing

LF LCA bushing

Putting my hands on it, I couldn't feel much but the pics do show some wear. Note: that big "crack" that goes all the way around, I'm not 100% sure it's not just a seam, but the weather checking across does look real.

Other angle:

The passenger side looked just a little bit better but same basic wear. The question on my mind is...we all know this is a "weak point" of the suspension, how does everyone else's look or do you just replace it with GS-F or other aftermarket parts and call it good?

Also, just curious, is this how the strut mounting to the lower control arm supposed to look?

Ok that's all I can report on without a lift and some possible really close (like part in my hand) investigation.
/\ Those bushing were def done!