GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front Brake pads? Base RWD vs F Sport vs AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 08:54 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Thanks. So are you saying that Project Mu's, pads show different for the AWD F Sport fronts, than the RWD F Sport Fronts? Why if so?

Everyone else except Lexus shows the same pad for both, and also the Lux & Base.
Not quite - Project Mu's website shows the same F114 pad shape for ALL F-Sport, regardless of drive, and F110 for ALL Lux/Base. Their application guide is incorrect - I have an F-Sport AWD and I am using F110 front pads. The F114 Pad Shape is only for F-Sport RWD.

Dixcel's application guide shows the same pad shape for Base RWD, Lux RWD, Base AWD, Lux AWD, and F-Sport AWD. Dixcel only show a different pad shape for F-Sport RWD. This is correct.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 07-10-24 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 09:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSedanFan
Not quite - Project Mu's website shows the same F114 pad shape for ALL F-Sport, regardless of drive, and F110 for ALL Lux/Base. Their application guide is incorrect - I have an F-Sport AWD and I am using F110 front pads. The F114 Pad Shape is only for F-Sport RWD.

Dixcel's application guide shows the same pad shape for Base RWD, Lux RWD, Base AWD, Lux AWD, and F-Sport AWD. Dixcel only show a different pad shape for F-Sport RWD. This is correct.
Brembo and Akebono show the same pad for the AWD, RWD, Base, F Sport, all.

https://www.bremboparts.com/america/...e/AMT0127870-1

https://akebonobrakes.mypartfinder.com/
Old 07-11-24, 08:18 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Brembo and Akebono show the same pad for the AWD, RWD, Base, F Sport, all.

https://www.bremboparts.com/america/...e/AMT0127870-1

https://akebonobrakes.mypartfinder.com/
F110 and F114 are completely different pad shapes. F110 is clearanced for the 13" rotor. F114 is clearanced for the 14" rotor. F-Sport AWDs have 13" front rotors.

Project Mu's application guide failed to account for the fact that GS350 F-Sport AWDs have 13" front rotors. I do not believe the F114 pad will fit on any GS with 13" front rotors, including F-Sport AWD. Dixcel's application guide does make the distinction. Other brands may simply have a single pad shape that works with both rotor sizes.

https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padprice/F110.pdf

https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padprice/F114.pdf
Old 07-11-24, 09:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,516 Posts

F110 and F114 are completely different pad shapes. F110 is clearanced for the 13" rotor. F114 is clearanced for the 14" rotor. F-Sport AWDs have 13" front rotors.

Project Mu's application guide failed to account for the fact that GS350 F-Sport AWDs have 13" front rotors. I do not believe the F114 pad will fit on any GS with 13" front rotors, including F-Sport AWD. Dixcel's application guide does make the distinction. Other brands may simply have a single pad shape that works with both rotor sizes.

https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padprice/F110.pdf

https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padprice/F114.pdf

@GrandSedanFan - What exactly does 'clearanced' actually mean? Does it mean the footprint (or pad print) on the brake rotor contact area? Is it the F114 pad's blunt design configuration at the far ends of the pad?

The F114 pad is only .5mm or 1/64th inch higher than the F110 pad (78mm for F114 pad vs 77.5mm for F110 pad).

I'm confused to understand how the two pads (F114 vs F110) present a meaningful clearance (or 'clearanced') difference for the F114 pad when used on the 14" brake rotor vs F110 pad when used on the 13" brake rotor. And, of course for me - it would help if I knew what 'clearanced' literally (specifically) means.

I would appreciate your help to understand this...

Last edited by bclexus; 07-11-24 at 09:37 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-11-24, 11:01 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
@GrandSedanFan - What exactly does 'clearanced' actually mean? Does it mean the footprint (or pad print) on the brake rotor contact area? Is it the F114 pad's blunt design configuration at the far ends of the pad?

The F114 pad is only .5mm or 1/64th inch higher than the F110 pad (78mm for F114 pad vs 77.5mm for F110 pad).

I'm confused to understand how the two pads (F114 vs F110) present a meaningful clearance (or 'clearanced') difference for the F114 pad when used on the 14" brake rotor vs F110 pad when used on the 13" brake rotor. And, of course for me - it would help if I knew what 'clearanced' literally (specifically) means.

I would appreciate your help to understand this...
When I refer to clearance, I mean the radius cutout at the bottom of the pad, both backing plate and pad material. The black portion of the diagram is the pad backing plate, the white is the pad material. The dimensions provided appear to refer to the outermost exterior dimensions of the backing plate, which would not account for the size of the cutout.

The cutout is far larger on the F110, designed to follow the shape of the 13" rotor and the calipers used thereupon. Using the F114 pad on any AWD GS or RWD Base/Lux may result in a portion of the pad material hanging over the inner edge of the rotor.

Dixcel actually provides top to bottom measurements of pad material between their two pads.

Dixcel Pad Shape 311547 RWD F-Sport Only (Same as Project Mu F114)
Pad Material is 59mm from top to bottom
https://www.dixcel.co.jp/sx/specs.ph...0-6601-011613-

Dixcel Pad Shape 311532 for RWD Base and all AWD including F-Sport (Same as Project Mu F110)
Pad Material is 55mm from top to bottom
https://www.dixcel.co.jp/sx/specs.ph...8013-18128130-

To go back to the original question - There are 2 completely different front brake pad designs for the 2012-2020 GS350. One brake pad is designed for all cars that have 13" rotors, the other is designed for all cars that have 14" rotors. I do not know if they are interchangeable, but I suspect they are not.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 07-11-24 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
bclexus (07-11-24), jgscott (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 12:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@GrandSedanFan - Thank you for the information.

Using the F114 pad on any AWD GS or RWD Base/Lux may result in a portion of the pad material hanging over the inner edge of the rotor.
I've seen this before - and have also seen where the brake pad material simply doesn't contact the rotor's pad contact area as designed by the carmaker.

In both cases my guess is that this almost certainly happens from using the wrong brake pad, and likely when using aftermarket brands.

I prefer to use brand specified parts designated for the model myself, then it should perform as it was designed...
Old 07-11-24, 04:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Pics of diff front pads. All say for F Sport and Base and AWD except for the NSR pads. They said they are going to change the website to fits all GS 2013 - 2020.

Top are - Akebono ACT1118

Middle are - Tom’s Performer

Bottom are NRS NS1118

Old 07-11-24, 06:30 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Pics of diff front pads. All say for F Sport and Base and AWD except for the NSR pads. They said they are going to change the website to fits all GS 2013 - 2020.

Bottom are NRS NS1118

Based on pad shape and backing plate, those are all based on the OEM pad for 13" rotors - Project Mu F110/Dixcel 311532.

If you look at the Project Mu F114/Dixcel 311547, the backing plates have an angle at the corners of the bottom edge, but the pad material is nearly flat across the bottom.
jgscott (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Bottom are NRS NS1118

@jgscott Jamie, who is 'they' and which brand website is said to be changed to have their pads fit all GS 2013 - 2020 regardless of model? Are you talking about the Akebono brand pads fitting all 4GS models?

Where does that leave Lexus identifying its brake pad part numbers based on model (i.e. VIN)?

Last edited by bclexus; 07-11-24 at 06:40 PM. Reason: orthography
jgscott (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 07:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Based on pad shape and backing plate, those are all based on the OEM pad for 13" rotors - Project Mu F110/Dixcel 311532.

If you look at the Project Mu F114/Dixcel 311547, the backing plates have an angle at the corners of the bottom edge, but the pad material is nearly flat across the bottom.

Now this is very interesting to find out. I have a Lux so never dealt with digging into the specifics of the F Sport pads. So NRS, Brembo, Akebono, Raybestos, and a whole host of others I just looked up, show the 13 - 20 GS350 pads as the part, but never distinguishing the F Sport pad as different, but in fact just leading to that they are a fit. Which actually they are across the board, but in fact lacking the additional info of the size being smaller from top to bottom. I just got to measure the Lexus Factory correct F Sport used pads I had and they are in fact 59mm top to bottom also.

TOMS shows the pads, as a fit also with merely a disclaimer but states - ":*Utilizes non-F Sport Pad Shape, but fits both F Sport and non-F Sport". Unless they have another pad that I missed that actually is the F Sport 59mm design.

Being I am changing over to the F Sport Caliper and Rotors, I think I will be running the Factory Lexus pads with the updated anti noise parts and cross my finger they don't squeal. This is why I started this thread to ask? There just seemed like something was not right about all the different Aftermarket pads application charts I saw. Thanks for all the info you provided. BTW: Are you in the US? Where did you get those F114/Dixcel pads from???

, who is 'they' and which brand website is said to be changed to have their pads fit all GS 2013 - 2020 regardless of model? Are you talking about the Akebono brand pads fitting all 4GS models?

Where does that leave Lexus identifying its brake pad part numbers based on model (i.e. VIN)?
NSR is who they. I am going to call them tomorrow.

Don't understand the bold above? Also thanks for saving me some time posting those updated Lexus part # Pads and shim kits. Appreciate it I already had the shim kit and clip parts. Off to Lexus I go to get the correct size F Sport Pads tomorrow. Other pads going back or to be Sold if anyone want to buy them. Also if you don't mind, no need to Tag me on post, I see your post, also not to call me Jamie every sentence. Please. Thanks!!!

bclexus (07-12-24)
Old 07-11-24, 09:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The 4th Gen brake info is a mess. This thread a while back also adds to the confusion. It was stated that the Calipers were the same for all, and the Pads were the same for all. Also said they were neither the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...caliper-3.html
Old 07-12-24, 01:10 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Now this is very interesting to find out. I have a Lux so never dealt with digging into the specifics of the F Sport pads. So NRS, Brembo, Akebono, Raybestos, and a whole host of others I just looked up, show the 13 - 20 GS350 pads as the part, but never distinguishing the F Sport pad as different, but in fact just leading to that they are a fit. Which actually they are across the board, but in fact lacking the additional info of the size being smaller from top to bottom. I just got to measure the Lexus Factory correct F Sport used pads I had and they are in fact 59mm top to bottom also.

TOMS shows the pads, as a fit also with merely a disclaimer but states - ":*Utilizes non-F Sport Pad Shape, but fits both F Sport and non-F Sport". Unless they have another pad that I missed that actually is the F Sport 59mm design.

Being I am changing over to the F Sport Caliper and Rotors, I think I will be running the Factory Lexus pads with the updated anti noise parts and cross my finger they don't squeal. This is why I started this thread to ask? There just seemed like something was not right about all the different Aftermarket pads application charts I saw. Thanks for all the info you provided. BTW: Are you in the US? Where did you get those F114/Dixcel pads from???
I am in the US. There are several vendors that sell JDM parts in the US - some offer Yen based pricing, allowing you to take advantage of the strong exchange rate.
Old 07-12-24, 02:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

NSR is who they. I am going to call them tomorrow.

Don't understand the bold above? Also thanks for saving me some time posting those updated Lexus part # Pads and shim kits. Appreciate it I already had the shim kit and clip parts. Off to Lexus I go to get the correct size F Sport Pads tomorrow. Other pads going back or to be Sold if anyone want to buy them. Thanks!!!
The bold was about - it seems Lexus has different front pads based on the model (i.e. Base, AWD, 2WD F-Sport) or entering the VIN# to get the correct pad, not one pad that fits all models like one brand does, as I understand it.

No problem on not tagging and dropping the name.
jgscott (07-12-24)
Old 07-17-24, 05:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yep, unfortunately I think that'll be a typical happening for awhile until people providing parts advice and information catch-up to learn about the latest 2WD F-Sport front pad part number.

Front Brake pads for 4th Gen GS 350 F-Sport 2WD:

Advics Brand (NEW NO SQUEAL Pads per TSB) Front Brake Pads P/N: 04465-30540
Textar Brand - OE & Typical replacement (SQUEALS like a PIG!) Front Brake Pads P/N: 04465-30491
Front Shim Kit P/N: 04945-30340
Brake Caliper Grease P/N: 08887-80609

* I think Advics makes the 4GS F-Sport 4-piston front brake caliper, so the new P/N
04465-30540 'No Squeal' front brake pad should be a good match.
Thanks to b/c for these new F Sport Updated Brake part numbers. I did the upgraded F Sport, Calipers and 14" Rotor and correct size pads (thanks to GrandSedanFan for pad size difference also). The F Sport ones are now on my Lux GS350, with the updated Lexus Pads and Shims for a few days now. ZERO noise, zero squeal so far 4 days, 225 miles. Not a peep.

Brakes feel stronger and firmer. I also installed the NRS high friction pads on back, with StopTech Drilled Cyro treated Rotors, and StopTech Steel Braded lines. The bite is, very quite, fast and with no fade. Also painted and decaled the calipers. At high speed it really hauls the heavy GS350 down to a much quicker stop, and harldey any pedal fade at all now. Much better braking system, from the fade prone Lux smaller brakes.

Last edited by jgscott; 07-17-24 at 05:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
bclexus (07-17-24), GrandSedanFan (07-17-24), PGA71 (07-17-24)