GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is my GS a total loss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-24, 01:04 AM
lcudd
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my GS a total loss?

My girlfriend was driving my 2015 GS350 AWD and was hit in the front while stopped. Bumper, headlight and fender need to be replaced. I'm waiting to work out insurance but pretty worried they may total it out. I bought the car for 20k 1.5 years ago and live in Massachusetts.

I stopped by a body shop just to get an idea, and he quoted me 6-7k but when I got home and inspected further I don't know if he noticed the bent piece of metal behind the fender which I suspect is part of the frame or apron. Can anyone tell me what this is? Circled in red. I know once there's frame damage it may be over because of the cost. But I don't know if this part can be bent back easily or welded. I'm very saddened and trying to be hopeful that my GS can be saved. I included photos from a few angles and the last picture is the part I'm trying to identify. Thanks.

​​​
Old 07-14-24, 06:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

@lcudd:

A car is considered a total loss in Massachusetts when the vehicle's actual cash value is equal to or less than the cost of repairs plus the salvage value. Actual cash value refers to how much the car was worth immediately before the damage, while the salvage value is the car's worth in its damaged state.

Massachusetts Total Loss Law Example:

Pre-crash value: $15,000
Cost of repairs: $6,000
Salvage value: $10,000
Pre-crash value - cost of repairs - salvage value = -$1,000
Result: Car is totaled

In the above example, the driver's car is totaled according to Massachusetts law because its pre-crash value, or actual cash value (ACV), is lower than the sum of its repair cost and salvage value.

It's worth noting that the vehicle used in this example probably cost more than $15,000 when it was originally purchased. The ACV is meant to reflect the car's worth in its depreciated state, not the cost of replacing the vehicle.

In the case of your car, the above example pretty much mirrors exactly what you might can expect to happen!

Pre-crash value: $15,000
Cost of repairs: $6,000
Salvage value: $10,000
Pre-crash value - cost of repairs - salvage value = -$1,000

[$15,000 - $6,000 = $9,000 - $10,000 = -$1,000 = Totaled]

The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
AJLex19 (07-14-24), NickL (07-14-24)
Old 07-14-24, 07:21 AM
lcudd
9th Gear

You think it's totalled? Pre crash value is higher than that
Old 07-14-24, 08:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is this what you've circled?

Old 07-14-24, 08:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lcudd
You think it's totalled? Pre crash value is higher than that
Your view of the pre-crash value being higher than the example is only based on your personal valuation, which I suspect you're basing it on the $20k you paid for it 1½ years ago! But the car has depreciated since then and is now 10 years-old because it was probably made in 2014 and now it needs $6k - $7k worth of repairs due to the wreck damage.

I'd guess that your insurance provider will deem the car to be a total loss, but you never know how an adjuster will evaluate and determine what is best for his/her insurance company - which is who the adjuster decisively works for, not for you the client!

Personally, if it was my car I'd definitely want it to be a total loss...and be paid a reasonable pre-cash value (less the policy deductible of course) so I could go ahead and replace the wrecked car with another car of my choice - whether it's another Lexus 4GS or something totally different. To replace the wrecked car you'll probably choose to add some money to what you'll receive from your insurance provider so you can get a newer or better car as a replacement, but in the end you'll probably consider it to be a favorable outcome - - and you won't have to wait for the wrecked car to be repaired, or to deal with a repair outcome that you're not pleased with.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-14-24 at 11:01 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-14-24, 09:50 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sorry to see this happen to you. How many miles on it now would be a big factor to more accurately tell. The valuation would play in.

If it is totaled don't take the 1st offer. Ask for their comps they used to get the figures they offered you. 90% of the time the comps are not really valid. Asking specifically for them exposes' the the low value. Most ppl just get a offer in their heads and think, that's a good offer. They leave lots on the table unknowingly.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (07-14-24)
Old 07-14-24, 11:07 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Hope everyone was ok in the crash - sorry to see the damage. At minimum, replacing with an OEM bumper with all of its components plus paint and then one OEM headlamp will run close to $2000 in parts alone. Its hard to tell how much damage you have to the fender and the various retainers/underpinnings but the labor charge is also going to by high these days especially at a reputable shop.

I'm no adjuster or body shop expert, but I think its close to a total loss going through insurance.

I damaged my front end last year and paid around $3500 total for a new OEM headlamp, new OEM bumper, paint, realign/paint my existing fender, labor and any miscellaneous parts the shop needed. See my post for pics to give you an idea: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-repair.html
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-14-24)
Old 07-14-24, 12:12 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
Is this what you've circled?

I don't know. It's a part of the frame that extends out where the fender rests on and the headlight bolts into. Someone else told me it might be part of the welded on apron. I'm just wondering if this is considered bad frame damage.
Old 07-14-24, 12:14 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
Sorry to see this happen to you. How many miles on it now would be a big factor to more accurately tell. The valuation would play in.

If it is totaled don't take the 1st offer. Ask for their comps they used to get the figures they offered you. 90% of the time the comps are not really valid. Asking specifically for them exposes' the the low value. Most ppl just get a offer in their heads and think, that's a good offer. They leave lots on the table unknowingly.
100,400 miles.
Old 07-14-24, 12:20 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Hope everyone was ok in the crash - sorry to see the damage. At minimum, replacing with an OEM bumper with all of its components plus paint and then one OEM headlamp will run close to $2000 in parts alone. Its hard to tell how much damage you have to the fender and the various retainers/underpinnings but the labor charge is also going to by high these days especially at a reputable shop.

I'm no adjuster or body shop expert, but I think its close to a total loss going through insurance.

I damaged my front end last year and paid around $3500 total for a new OEM headlamp, new OEM bumper, paint, realign/paint my existing fender, labor and any miscellaneous parts the shop needed. See my post for pics to give you an idea: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-repair.html
I was told they wouldn't go oem based on my mileage. Don't know what the adjuster will say.
Old 07-14-24, 12:21 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

Your view of the pre-crash value being higher than the example is only based on your personal valuation, which I suspect you're basing it on the $20k you paid for it 1½ years ago! But the car has depreciated since then and is now 10 years-old because it was probably made in 2014 and now it needs $6k - $7k worth of repairs due to the wreck damage.

I'd guess that your insurance provider will deem the car to be a total loss, but you never know how an adjuster will evaluate and determine what is best for his/her insurance company - which is who the adjuster decisively works for, not for you the client!

Personally, if it was my car I'd definitely want it to be a total loss...and be paid a reasonable pre-cash value (less the policy deductible of course) so I could go ahead and replace the wrecked car with another car of my choice - whether it's another Lexus 4GS or something totally different. To replace the wrecked car you'll probably choose to add some money to what you'll receive from your insurance provider so you can get a newer or better car as a replacement, but in the end you'll probably consider it to be a favorable outcome - - and you won't have to wait for the wrecked car to be repaired, or to deal with a repair outcome that you're not pleased with.
I would rather buy the car back if it's totalled. If there is no serious frame or structural damage then it was completely cosmetic. What other reason would I have to get rid of the car?
Old 07-14-24, 01:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lcudd
I would rather buy the car back if it's totalled. If there is no serious frame or structural damage then it was completely cosmetic. What other reason would I have to get rid of the car?

At 100,400 miles on the car, I'd say the body shop is correct - they wouldn't use OEM parts. I think insurance will definitely consider the car a total loss.

My girlfriend was driving my 2015 GS350 AWD and was hit in the front while stopped.
So, who hit your car when your girlfriend was driving it? Does that person have insurance? Did the other driver inform their insurance provider? Was law enforcement called to investigate the accident?

You may want to look into getting the repairs done without filing an insurance claim - and not get your insurance provider involved at all. Maybe you can obtain some repair money from whoever hit your car so they don't have to file a claim with their insurance provider - - or for the other party to have law enforcement get involved with them for hitting/damaging your car.

Things are kind of hazy, not adding up like a typical accident that happens on public roads. Did this damage take place on private property, like in a shipping center parking lot?

Then again, maybe we're not getting the full story about this wreck! Also, it's unusual to be hit in the front while stopped - how'd that happen?

Last edited by bclexus; 07-14-24 at 01:34 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-14-24, 01:41 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

At 100,400 miles on the car, I'd say the body shop is correct - they wouldn't use OEM parts. I think insurance will definitely consider the car a total loss.

So, who hit your car when your girlfriend was driving it? Does that person have insurance? Did the other driver inform their insurance provider? Was law enforcement called to investigate the accident?

You may want to look into getting the repairs done without filing an insurance claim - and not get your insurance provider involved at all. Maybe you can obtain some repair money from whoever hit your car so they don't have to file a claim with their insurance provider - - or for the other party to have law enforcement get involved with them for hitting/damaging your car.

Things are kind of hazy, not adding up like a typical accident that happens on public roads. Did this damage take place on private property, like in a shipping center parking lot?

Then again, maybe we're not getting the full story about this wreck! Also, it's unusual to be hit in the front while stopped - how'd that happen?
It happened on a public road. At an intersection. She was stopped past train tracks waiting to fully turn left and a car sped down the hill and hit the right passenger side. I don't think she was too far out in the road, I think that the opposite car was speeding and not looking at the road where she was waiting. I was not there. But it is a blind curve in both directions essentially. They left before police could even be called.

I do not want the car totalled and if it is I'd like to buy it back if there's no frame damage. The car is in perfect condition otherwise and I don't see how something like this which is 90% cosmetic would scrap it outside of price. Do your recommend I cancel the claim or just try to repurchase when they total it?

The worst part is, the other drivers are blaming her saying she hit them when I know she was not moving and my car took the impact. They had zero damage.
​​
Old 07-14-24, 02:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a hit 'n run! Do you have the other driver's license plate number, drivers license information and their insurance provider and policy number?

Is there a state policy in MA in which police aren't needed if the damage is below a certain dollar figure and there are no injuries?

Last edited by bclexus; 07-14-24 at 03:35 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-14-24, 02:24 PM
lcudd
9th Gear

Sound like a hit 'n run! Do you have the other driver's license plate number, drivers license information and their insurance provider and policy number?

Is there a state policy in MA in which police aren't needed if the damage is below a certain dollar figure and there are no injuries?
I don't know about any of that. We have their info and have filed it accordingly. I'm just trying to determine if I can save my car based on the damage

Quick Reply: Is my GS a total loss?