GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking for advice on buying car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-24, 05:59 AM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for advice on buying car

Hey all. So I really need a new car and I’ve had my eyes on this one car nearby. 2015 Lexus GS350 AWD crafted line. 85K miles for $17,700 with a clean title, but it’s had an accident involving a side swipe. Airbags didnt deploy and car was driveable, but my dad (who is co-signing) is telling me this is a horrible idea and this car is not worth it. People rave about the reliability of lexus cars and even specifically this model, and it has everything i’ll ever need in a car in my price range. I’ll attach photos but the side it got hit on looks fine, I am just a bit wary as this is a car in NJ and i’m in PA, so i’ll have to get it inspected for the dmv to register it in PA. Do I have anything I need to worry about? thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Emarvasti (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 06:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

@tonyferello - That is not a Lexus 'Crafted Line' GS 350 AWD!

Dealers (especially non-Lexus dealers) often incorrectly advertise a pre-owned Lexus GS model as a 'Crafted Line'.

Member @AJLex19 posted THIS in response to a similar posted request for information last year.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-19-24 at 07:42 AM. Reason: orthography
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
AJLex19 (07-19-24), tonyferello (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 06:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The Car is probably fairly priced at ~$17.7k and if you are satisfied with the exterior (including the body repair and paint match) and with the interior condition - there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about it passing inspection for your PA vehicle registration (as long as the tires' tread meets the state's minimum requirements).

It would be nice to know a little about the car's service record, but most all owners of Lexus vehicles have their engine oil and oil filter changed on the recommended service schedule or sooner. A regularly serviced (i.e. oil/filter change) Lexus GS with 85k Miles is nothing to be concerned about. Lexus/Toyota vehicles are known to be very reliable with many logging double the mileage on this 2015 Lexus GS model that you are interested in.

Let us know what you decide...

Last edited by bclexus; 07-19-24 at 01:05 PM. Reason: orthography
tonyferello (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 07:26 AM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Thank you! Yeah just checked the carfax it’s not the crafted line. Still has the AWD though which is all I need.
Originally Posted by bclexus
@tonyferello - That is not a Lexus 'Crafted Line' GS 350 AWD!

Dealers (especially non-Lexus dealers) often incorrectly advertise a pre-owned Lexus GS model as a 'Crafted Line'.

Member @AJLex19 posted THIS in response to a similar posted request for information.
bclexus (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 07:28 AM
tonyferello
7th Gear

I’ll drop the carfax if anyone wants to take a look and lmk. Seems to be fairly maintained and it’s got quite a history but I drive an 08 mazda3 that i’m the 5th owner of with 5 recorded accidents I genuinely don’t care anymore as long as the car is fixed and looks good. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...5GCKvbvZLoYEUA
It's probably fairly priced at ~$17k and if you are satisfied with the exterior (including the body repair and paint match) and the interior condition there no reason whatsoever to be concerned about it passing inspection for your PA vehicle registration (as long as the tires' tread meets the state's minimum requirements). .

It would be nice to know a little about the car's service record, but most all owners of Lexus vehicles have their engine oil and oil filter changed on the recommended service schedule or sooner. A regularly serviced (i.e. oil/filter change) Lexus GS with 85k Miles is nothing to be concerned about. Lexus/Toyota vehicles are known to be very reliable with many logging double the mileage on this 2015 Lexus GS model you're interested in.

Let us know what you decide...
Old 07-19-24, 08:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The car has an excellent service record with most services having taken place at Johnson Lexus of Raleigh in Raleigh, North Carolina. The car's fuel pump was even replaced under the Lexus TSB (technical service bulletin).

On a positive note - beginning in late 2018 it appears the car spent most of its post 30k logged mileage in South Carolina or the central part of NC where is doesn't snow much - as opposed to vehicles driven in the north or northeast where salt and/or brine is most often used, which causes unavoidable rust.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-19-24 at 08:14 AM. Reason: orthography
tonyferello (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 08:37 AM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that you took the time of day to check through that I will definitely be on my way to the dealership later this week to check it out
The car has an excellent service record with most services having taken place at Johnson Lexus of Raleigh in Raleigh, North Carolina. The car's fuel pump was even replaced under the Lexus TSB (technical service bulletin).

On a positive note - beginning in late 2018 it appears the car spent most of its post 30k logged mileage in South Carolina or the central part of NC where is doesn't snow much - as opposed to vehicles driven in the north or northeast where salt and/or brine is most often used, which causes unavoidable rust.
bclexus (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 06:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Personally I would keep looking. I some what agree with your Dad, not horrible but there is better out there. Also seems you are financing a loan? 84k miles to start long term loan payments, Base model GS, Carfax side swipe, and a NY/NJ car can expect some rust under parts. Car sales are just not so great right now for dealers, it's a buyer Market again. I would keep shopping.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
amc83
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’d pass and go for a beater rav4 or forester if awd is all you really care about.

$17k is too much money given its history and even more so because of financing. Plus it’s still a Lexus and that means more expensive maintenance and insurance.
Old Today, 05:27 PM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Took a trip to the dealership today as it was closed to take a look. It's in really good condition but raised a few tiny concerns. To start, headlights have condensation on the top. Sunroof seal/rubber is cracked a bit but Ive heard thats common and an easy fix. Very tiny scuff on the rear but not noticable. And im not entrirely sure but I think there is a rubber overlay on the bottom of the bumper for scraping?? If anyone knows if this is part of the bumper underneath it or just all rubber lmk. Otherwise, new tires with 10/10 tread, side it got hit on was perfect, and the exterior and interior are in 10/10 condition. I do however want to try and lower the price down to as close as 16K as possible due to these issues.
Old Today, 05:29 PM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
Personally I would keep looking. I some what agree with your Dad, not horrible but there is better out there. Also seems you are financing a loan? 84k miles to start long term loan payments, Base model GS, Carfax side swipe, and a NY/NJ car can expect some rust under parts. Car sales are just not so great right now for dealers, it's a buyer Market again. I would keep shopping.
Yeah, i'd be stupid to say there are no better deals out there. But just due to my need for a new car (like ASAP before the one I have dies) this seems like a pretty decent choice. Im okay with the sideswipe and miles, and I would be financing to own after 4 years
Old Today, 05:32 PM
tonyferello
7th Gear

Originally Posted by amc83
I’d pass and go for a beater rav4 or forester if awd is all you really care about.

$17k is too much money given its history and even more so because of financing. Plus it’s still a Lexus and that means more expensive maintenance and insurance.
Im looking for AWD plus all the options this one comes with honestly. I can afford maintenance and insurance no problem as even with car payments, it's only like 1/14th of what I make a month