2013 GS 350 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-24, 01:56 PM
PA2017
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Question 2013 GS 350 Purchase

Hello,

I came across a 2013 GS 350 at CarMax that seems interesting. Expensive at $23k for a 2013, however it only has about 45.4k miles on it and it looks like it is in mint condition in the photos. Will have to look at it in person after it gets delivered to the local CarMax. Attached is the Experian car history.

CarMax does not haggle so I know that going into this. Wanted to know if there are concerns or red flags concerning a vehicle that appears to have been driven about 4k miles a year over the past 11 years. Also thinking about the CarMax warranty. Can get 60 months or either 100k or 125k miles on the odometer for $2.5k or $2.9k respectively.

Thoughts?
Attached Files
Old 07-19-24, 02:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,293 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by PA2017
Hello,

I came across a 2013 GS 350 at CarMax that seems interesting. Expensive at $23k for a 2013, however it only has about 45.4k miles on it and it looks like it is in mint condition in the photos. Will have to look at it in person after it gets delivered to the local CarMax. Attached is the Experian car history.

CarMax does not haggle so I know that going into this. Wanted to know if there are concerns or red flags concerning a vehicle that appears to have been driven about 4k miles a year over the past 11 years. Also thinking about the CarMax warranty. Can get 60 months or either 100k or 125k miles on the odometer for $2.5k or $2.9k respectively.

Thoughts?
@PA2017 - You'll want to read THIS entire (very lengthy) thread about this exact car (VIN# JTHBE1BL2D5028655).

Hint: The above linked thread has a favorable ending for a buyer! ► Read the entire thread but be sure to read Post #33 & Post #41 and beyond. ◄

I hope it helps you!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-19-24 at 03:08 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
PA2017 (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 02:43 PM
tompass2
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love my 2013 GS350. Tires, brakes,oil changes, coolant change, and plugs so far. Still drives like the day i purchased it off lease from a dealer.
bclexus (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 03:25 PM
PA2017
Rookie

@bclexus I cannot thank you enough for this information. I posted to a couple of forums on Reddit and got less than helpful information and direction. You have been most helpful.

Last edited by PA2017; 07-19-24 at 04:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PA2017:
bclexus (07-19-24), tompass2 (07-20-24)
Old 07-19-24, 04:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus I cannot thank you enough for this information. I posted to a couple of forums on Reddit and got less than helpful information and direction. You have been most helpful.
@PA2017 - You are very welcome!

And, welcome to Club Lexus! I hope you'll be a 4GS owner posting in this forum on a regular basis.

You might want to consider continuing your posting in this thread you started instead of the other really, really lengthy thread that @gio707 started. That way the car is more precisely connected with you and any thoughts/comments/questions/decisions, etc. you may make about it. As you know this thread has all the reference links for the other thread if they are needed.
PA2017 (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 05:15 PM
PA2017
Rookie

@bclexus Thank you and good point. Will continue to post here instead. Have already sent a message to @gio707 to see if he has the prepurchase inspection docs from the Lexus dealership in Santa Rosa if he got one there.
bclexus (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 06:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Let's get the following into this thread:

Also, I got the MaxCare warranties quote for the vehicle. Thinking about the $50 deductible option and going with either the option to get me to 100k or 125k miles on the odometer.

Thoughts or other recommendations for warranties besides the one from CarMax? Based on the legendary Doug DeMuro Land Rover CarMax warranty, it seems like a pretty good one. Perhaps the ECU issue will be covered under the warranty, but I would have to read the fine print to see if that is the case.
@PA2017 - If I did decide to go with the MaxCare warranty on this car I'd most likely go with the deductible and mileage that you're considering.

I'm guessing the upfront cost of warranty coverage would likely [hopefully] end up being a waste of money (because the car is very reliable), but of course parts can fail. No doubt, having a warranty provides most people satisfying peace-of-mind.

As for the Network Gateway ECU - I seriously doubt it would be covered by the MaxCare warranty, because it's just a single important piece in a grand electronic jigsaw puzzle - which is almost impossible to explain what the ECU actually does and why it needs replacing. Keep in mind the problematic ECU harbors a parasitic element that is mysteriously deep within its printed circuit board and electronic components.

Additionally, providing a copy of the Lexus TSB concerning the problematic Network Gateway ECU to a MaxCare warranty manager would most likely only bring about their excuse that Lexus should replace the ECU - - which Lexus would have replaced it if the service advisor/service manager at the original owner's Lexus dealership had been up-to-speed on TSBs with respect to the parasitic battery drain problem.

Unfortunately, it's most likely too late now to expect Lexus to replace the Network Gateway ECU as a goodwill gesture in a 2013 model under the TSB policy. But, the positive factor in this matter is the Network Gateway ECU is relatively inexpensive and quite easy to replace as a simple plug and play part...

Last edited by bclexus; 07-20-24 at 09:30 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-19-24, 10:01 PM
PA2017
Rookie

Fair points. I was reading a different post I think you made about MaxCare and Repairpal shops. With a MaxCare warranty, I believe I can get the work done at any shop including a Lexus dealership for work to be done under the warranty contract. However, if I choose to have the work done at a Repairpal shop, then I get a $50 rebate which basically offsets the cost of the deductible. That is my understanding, but I will check it out more.

Also interested in installing one of those Beatsonic systems to allow me to use Carplay/Android Auto on the infotainment screen. May just see how much it would be to get a dealership to install that and the ECU all at once.
Old 07-20-24, 06:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Fair points. I was reading a different post I think you made about MaxCare and Repairpal shops. With a MaxCare warranty, I believe I can get the work done at any shop including a Lexus dealership for work to be done under the warranty contract. However, if I choose to have the work done at a Repairpal shop, then I get a $50 rebate which basically offsets the cost of the deductible. That is my understanding, but I will check it out more.

Also interested in installing one of those Beatsonic systems to allow me to use Carplay/Android Auto on the infotainment screen. May just see how much it would be to get a dealership to install that and the ECU all at once.
@PA2017 - I'm guessing MaxCare will certainly balk at allowing you to have repair work done under their warranty plan at a Lexus dealership if it can be done at one of their sponsored RepairPal shops. Be forewarned that RepairPal shops are known for recommending to customers a long list of unnecessary and unneeded work be done, which annoys people.

FYI: RepairPal Certified Shops are third-party service providers, and they are not owned or controlled by CarMax. RepairPal Certified Shops do not perform repairs under CarMax's Limited Warranty (the first 90 days or 4,000 miles after vehicle purchase from CarMax), and they are not affiliated with any vehicle manufacturers. CarMax does receives compensation for this sponsored relationship with RepairPal.

I'd recommend buying the new ECU yourself (make sure you get the correct replacement part number) and have either a reputable body shop or indy (independent) service shop replace it for you. Or, just do it yourself and have the pride and experience of having done so! You basically remove 5 screws, remove the glovebox, and there it is!

If Lexus says it takes 1.2 hours - it can probably be done in 45 minutes.

If you don't want to replace it yourself I'd op for a good body shop to do it! Just show them the picture (below) - compliments of @eddie420 - so the body shop will know exactly where the ECU is located...

A Lexus dealership's service department is going to sell you the part at list price and probably charge you a couple hours labor at ~$200 per hour there in California.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

► The Fix is: R & R Network Gateway ECU with new ECU version P/N: 89100-30181

$137.53 Retail for the new version ECU and 1.2 hours labor to replace it.

► New Version Network Gateway ECU: P/N 89100-30181

► They are often available on eBay LIKE THIS (see image below) for about ˝ price (removed from a wrecked car but like new) - Just make sure it is the correct new part number!

► The Network Gateway ECU is 'plug and play' - no programming or special equipment is required to replace it...

According to our 'take-it-apart and put-it-back-together' expert @eddie420 - It's REALLY easy to access the Network Gateway ECU. Basically take out 5 screws, remove glovebox, tada! The Network Gateway ECU is sitting right there. It's the thing that has the bright orange label on it.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-20-24 at 07:57 AM. Reason: orthography
tompass2 (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 08:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus Thank you and good point. Will continue to post here instead. Have already sent a message to @gio707 to see if he has the prepurchase inspection docs from the Lexus dealership in Santa Rosa if he got one there.
@PA2017 - Please let us know what you learn from @gio707 if he responds to your message. He is a fairly new member and has not been a very active since joining.

I do not recall him saying anything about having the car looked at by any source for a prepurchase inspection.
PA2017 (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 08:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@PA2017 - Forget about having a Lexus dealership's service department install any kind of aftermarket equipment on or in the car - mechanical or electronic - unless it is specifically offered by Lexus through its dealerships.
► [Edit] Apparently Lexus USA has now approved the installation of BeatSonic systems in Lexus models per the video below.

You might want to look into having a BeatSonic Dealer install it for you or consider it a DIY project.

Just a reminder: A Lexus dealership might refuse to work on or even diagnose a problem associated to or with Lexus installed equipment (e.g. Navigation system, head unit, amplifier, electrical system, etc.) if a BeatSonic aftermarket piece of equipment is installed and connected.
► [Edit] Apparently Lexus USA has now approved the installation of BeatSonic systems in Lexus models per the video below.

For example: A customer visits a Lexus dealership's service department because he has a problem with his battery draining down (you've read about this happening!) - and he has an aftermarket BeatSonic system and/or an aftermarket dashcam installed in his car. A customer cannot expect a Lexus technician to troubleshoot and find out what the root cause of the customer's problem is when there is a non-Lexus third-party, aftermarket piece of equipment installed that could or might be responsible for the customer's complaint.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-20-24 at 06:26 PM. Reason: orthography
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
AJLex19 (07-21-24), PA2017 (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 09:22 AM
PA2017
Rookie

Thumbs up Thank you u/bclexus

@bclexus I cannot thank you enough. You are a wealth of knowledge.

I may try to install both the ECU and Beatsonic modules on my own, however I did see this video from Beatsonic. Looks like they have an official relationship with Lexus now to have their product installed at Lexus dealerships. Useful part is at 2:09.

Will watch the DIY how to videos for both the ECU install and the Beatsonic upgrade and see if it is something I feel like handling or if I just want to work an extra call shift or two and have it taken care of by the dealership.

Last edited by PA2017; 07-20-24 at 09:36 AM.
bclexus (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 09:34 AM
PA2017
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bclexus
@PA2017 - Please let us know what you learn from @gio707 if he responds to your message. He is a fairly new member and has not been a very active since joining.

I do not recall him saying anything about having the car looked at by any source for a prepurchase inspection.
I may try to get one done up here then. Haven't heard back from @gio707 but if I do I will share what is made available.

I was just talking with my dad about how amazing the internet truly is. Stumbled across this blog while doing some research on a car and have learned so much information about the exact car I was looking at. Truly amazing.
bclexus (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 09:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I may try to get one done up here then. Haven't heard back from @gio707 but if I do I will share what is made available.

I was just talking with my dad about how amazing the internet truly is. Stumbled across this blog forum while doing some research on a car and have learned so much information about the exact car I was looking at. Truly amazing.
Glad to have you here! Hoping you become a regular on the 4GS forum!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-20-24 at 02:03 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-20-24, 11:24 AM
Carputech
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OEM Apple CarPlay & Android Auto Upgrade Module For Lexus GS 2012-2022

https://www.carputech.com/products/o...s-gs-2012-2020

Carputech Carplay Upgrade Module system is a car infotainment add-on that integrates into your vehicle factory (OEM) stereo. It works seamlessly with the existing car stereo screen/display, sound system, and buttons/controls.
CarPlay: Via USB or Wireless. Add navigation, phone calls, messages and music apps easily with your iPhone to your car stereo.
Android AutoŽ: Via USB and Wireless. Add navigation and media apps easily with your Android phone. Simply plug it in via a Type-C cable to the USB port and ready to go! Phone calls go through the factory system.
Voice Activation: Voice activation allows use of voice control over navigation with Google, Waze, Sygic, and HereWeGo maps.
Switch easily between the Factory OEM System and Carplay System: Long press your original car “Menu” or “Black” button to switch, keep your original car system all functions, choose what system you like, enjoy your driving life.
Camera & Mirror Link Function: Support factory original reverse camera, parking radar;Support aftermarket reverse camera and 360 camera; Support front view camera DVR. When you put in the reverse, the camera will work automatically.Airplay(for iPhone)&AutoLink(for Android),Support TV news, Photos, Navigation etc.

Package includes:
A CarPlay module box
All necessary wires
An instruction manual
An installation video

Plug-N-Play installation!
Carputech is a manufacturer dedicated to providing OEM factory-integrated navigation systems(Carplay Upgrade Modules), Carplay adapters, and aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto systems for various vehicle brands.
Web : www.carputech.com E-mail : support@Carputech.com
Welcome any inquires. Thank you.
bclexus (07-20-24)

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 Purchase