GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Inner tire wear adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-24, 08:28 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,342 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Rear Inner tire wear adjustments?

If the rear inside tires are wearing faster, is there a FACTORY Camber adjustment on the 4th Gen GS? I have heard yes, then no, then also that you need adjustable rear Camber arms to do it?

A friend of mine who owned a GS350 a few years back worked in a Nissan shop for a while a said he just thought for sure that the back was adjustable for inner tire wear, and he sent me this pic showing where to adjust. He said he though for sure he had adjusted his rear for this and it is adjustable but could not remember for sure being he has worked on so many diff cars?

I installed new Swift springs on my GS and new KYB Gas adjust AVS struts a while back. I suck at suspensions, and after the Springs and Struts home garage install, I swore I would never in ever do anyone suspension stuff again in my life. What a PITA install.
So, looking at the below pic, anyone know if you can just make the adjustments with the factory suspension on a 4 wheel alignment rack? I realize there are threads about the adjustable rear Camber arms. So if can not, and the adj CA's are the only way? Which are a good quality set to get, that are Not Race track hard, no cheap rubber bushing sets that crack or blow out in a year. I don't want any hard Ploy bushings, or some cheap crap that will crack simply because it has a branded name and color and a sticker. lol!

REAR
Old 07-30-24, 11:09 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
If the rear inside tires are wearing faster, is there a FACTORY Camber adjustment on the 4th Gen GS? I have heard yes, then no, then also that you need adjustable rear Camber arms to do it?

A friend of mine who owned a GS350 a few years back worked in a Nissan shop for a while a said he just thought for sure that the back was adjustable for inner tire wear, and he sent me this pic showing where to adjust. He said he though for sure he had adjusted his rear for this and it is adjustable but could not remember for sure being he has worked on so many diff cars?

I installed new Swift springs on my GS and new KYB Gas adjust AVS struts a while back. I suck at suspensions, and after the Springs and Struts home garage install, I swore I would never in ever do anyone suspension stuff again in my life. What a PITA install.
So, looking at the below pic, anyone know if you can just make the adjustments with the factory suspension on a 4 wheel alignment rack? I realize there are threads about the adjustable rear Camber arms. So if can not, and the adj CA's are the only way? Which are a good quality set to get, that are Not Race track hard, no cheap rubber bushing sets that crack or blow out in a year. I don't want any hard Ploy bushings, or some cheap crap that will crack simply because it has a branded name and color and a sticker. lol!

REAR
If pretty sure these are the factory adjustment bolts for rear camber, depending on how much of a drop you have they might not get you close to 0. I installed the SPC camber arms when I lowered mine and have not had any issues with rear inner tire wear.

The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 12:48 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
If pretty sure these are the factory adjustment bolts for rear camber, depending on how much of a drop you have they might not get you close to 0. I installed the SPC camber arms when I lowered mine and have not had any issues with rear inner tire wear.

Those eccentric bolts are for rear toe adjustment.

There is no factory rear camber adjustment. There is no factory camber adjustment at all if your car is RWD. The only solution that I know of is to install aftermarket adjustable upper control arms in the rear. That having been said, additional camber alone does not cause extreme tire wear - excessive toe is what really kills tires.

AWD cars have adjustable front camber via an eccentric bolt forward bolt in the lower control arm, but still no camber adjustment at all in the rear.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 07-30-24 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
bclexus (07-30-24), jgscott (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 12:54 PM
tammap
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

REAR
This is OEM procedures.
  1. NSPECT REAR SUSPENSION
    1. Inspect the rear suspension member.
    2. Measure the distance between the centers of the installation bolts of the rear No. 2 suspension arm assembly LH and RH.
Standard:

536.8 to 543.7 mm (1.761 to 1.783 ft.)

HINT:

If the distance is not within the specified range, replace the rear suspension member.

Old 07-30-24, 12:58 PM
tammap
Driver

3. Inspect the rear No. 2 suspension arm assembly.Measure the distance between the centers of the 2 installation bolts of the rear No. 2 suspension arm assembly.
Standard:

433.5 to 434.5 mm (1.422 to 1.425 ft.)

HINT:

If the distance is not within the specified range, replace the rear No. 2 suspension arm assembly

Old 07-30-24, 01:02 PM
tammap
Driver

4. Inspect the rear upper control arm assembly.Measure the distance between the centers of the installation bolt of the upper control arm assembly rear No. 2 and the ball joint stud.
Standard:

299 mm (11.77 in.)

HINT:

If the distance is not within the specified range, replace the rear upper control arm assembly.

Old 07-30-24, 01:07 PM
tammap
Driver

Final.
  1. Inspect and adjust toe-in and camber.
  2. If the values are not within the specified range, adjust the installation bolt holding the rear suspension member to the vehicle body, or the bolt holding the upper control arm and rear suspension arm so that the values fall within the specified range
Old 07-30-24, 01:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Ok thanks both but I am a suspension dummy for changes, so I am confused about a few things.

1). 1st Based on this pic? These are different adjust points than post #3 points in Red correct?
2). Was told nothing was wrong with any of my suspension components from front to back. 2013 GS350 Lux with 57K. KYB Gas adjust AVS, and Swift Springs.
285/35/19 Rear Tires with 19" Factory RFC Wheels. (Rear Off Set is - 41, could this be a problem?)
3). Do I need adjustable Upper CA's, or SPC Lower camber arms?

Old 07-30-24, 03:34 PM
alxhastngs
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The lowering springs may have been enough to put your rear camber out of spec to the point it is causing excess wear. It could also be a combination of different offset wheels as well, or even just tolerance stack up in your worn factory components.

If you get an alignment, you will likely find you are out of spec due to the lowering springs.

Adding adjustable rear camber arms and attempting to align it back to factory specs is likely your best route forward here. I would start with an alignment first and see where you stand...
The following 2 users liked this post by alxhastngs:
bclexus (07-30-24), jgscott (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 04:42 PM
tammap
Driver

I have to agree with alxhastngs.

The distance between the centers of the installation bolt of the UCA assembly rear No. 2 and the ball joint stud has been alter due to the lowering springs.

Figs Engineering might have adjustable camber kits.

https://shopfigs.com/v5/
bclexus (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 06:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Ok got it. I can I just get the SPC Camber arms to correct and fix?

These?
Amazon Amazon

For reference I just had the whole underneath all suspension checked out. Nothing was found to be worn out nor needing replacement. The car had a alignment 2x's at a Toyota dealer. Even still the inside tire thread worn Bald out. wore out. Outside and the rest of the tread still had tread left. I have a brand new set of rear tires. I just don't want to have them mounted till I get this corrected. Thanks for everyone help!
Old 07-30-24, 07:03 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 152 Posts

The SPC camber arms replace the rear upper control arm.

What is your rear toe set to? Inner edge wear is toe, usually dynamic toe out at speed. Tapered wear across the tread, more severe towards the inside, is camber and takes significatly longer to appear.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 07-30-24 at 07:17 PM.
jgscott (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
tammap
Driver

Ok got it. I can I just get the SPC Camber arms to correct and fix?

These?
https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Pro.../dp/B00RENKKBK

Outside and the rest of the tread still had tread left. I have a brand new set of rear tires. I just don't want to have them mounted till I get this corrected. Thanks for everyone help!
To determine if inside wear is causing by toe or camber adjustment, run your hand along the outside tread edges. Feathering is a sign of uneven wear when your hands go clockwise and you can feel the sharper edges and smooth when your hands go counter clockwise.

Severe sharper edges indicates toe-in or out issues, small sharper edges isn't an issue. Most vehicles specs allowed small toe-in and still be within specs.
jgscott (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

No feathering just too much inside wear.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just put the rear camber arms in and have the car aligned with them in place. No sense in going back to the alignment shop twice.

I've had the SPC arms om my car for almost 10 years now with no issues. My car has also been raised back to stock height and I just left the SPC parts on there.
jgscott (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Rear Inner tire wear adjustments?