GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlight Lamp Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 10:33 AM
insamiety
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Is the bracket with ears to latch the spring that holds the lamp in-place made of metal or a fibrous material?
It's definitely not metal, so it seems to be plastic. I ordered the adapters above and will be playing with them this weekend. I'll keep yall updated!!
Old 08-30-24, 11:12 AM
insamiety
9th Gear

Part of me is thinking about taking the redneck route and using some high temp foil tape to just tape the damn thing in hahaha
Old 08-30-24, 12:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by insamiety
Part of me is thinking about taking the redneck route and using some high temp foil tape to just tape the damn thing in hahaha
If that's what you're going to do I recommend using Gorilla Tape and/or T-Rex Tape. They are both super strong and long-lasting, but I'd protect it with HVAC Tape to prevent moisture intrusion.

Old 08-30-24, 01:23 PM
insamiety
9th Gear

I was planning on using Gorilla tape, but I was a little concerned with the temps. Instead I was looking to get high temp HVAC tape like you would use for a heater flue.
Old 08-30-24, 02:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

No tape will hold that.
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (09-05-24)
Old 08-30-24, 02:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by insamiety
I was planning on using Gorilla tape, but I was a little concerned with the temps. Instead I was looking to get high temp HVAC tape like you would use for a heater flue.
Originally Posted by LeX2K
No tape will hold that.
Probably not! Tape is unlikely to apply enough sustained compression force on the lamp holding spring

I would think about using rebar tie-wire to put a twisted wire clamp on the lamp holding spring to the bracket - or use stainless steel cable ties to strap the wire clamp to the bracket.

Also, don't discount the use of J-B Weld. J-B Weld is extremely impressive J-B Weld can be used to repair many different materials including metal, wood, plastic, ceramic, fiberglass, brick, concrete and much more.

I think the bracket material is likely a fibrous material like fiberglass, so JB Weld may work well if the parts are prepped properly and the JB Weld is applied correctly.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-30-24 at 03:11 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 08-30-24, 03:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Also, don't discount the use of J-B Weld. J-B Weld is extremely impressive J-B Weld can be used to repair many different materials including metal, wood, plastic, ceramic, fiberglass, brick, concrete and much more.
J-B Weld fails over time when heated. Example: circuit boards that have epoxy covering up board work (sometimes to hide "secret" mods) a heat gun and the epoxy falls off.
Old 08-30-24, 03:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

J-B Weld fails over time when heated. Example: circuit boards that have epoxy covering up board work (sometimes to hide "secret" mods) a heat gun and the epoxy falls off.
The J-B 'KwikWeld' label says it is good to 300°F. Then there is J-B 'ExhaustWeld'...

The J-B 'ExhaustWeld' is a fiberglass wrap that can withstand temperatures up to 1100°F and can be used on exhaust manifolds, tail pipes, and other parts. It is designed to structurally repair almost any part on a vehicle's exhaust system, which reaches extremely high temperatures.

Or J-B Weld 'ExtremeHeat' is available too that can withstand 2,400°F.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-30-24 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-30-24, 04:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

They can claim whatever they want in practice heat breaks the bond. I tried using J-B Weld on a cracked thread/boss that holds the alternator it lasted for a bit then failed. Also at 2400°F epoxy will turn to powder they are straight up lying. Titanium melts at 1600 degrees.
Old 08-30-24, 07:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

They can claim whatever they want in practice heat breaks the bond. I tried using J-B Weld on a cracked thread/boss that holds the alternator it lasted for a bit then failed. Also at 2400°F epoxy will turn to powder they are straight up lying. Titanium melts at 1600 degrees.
Maybe J-B Weld's Chip Hanson should be on the lookout for false advertising lawsuits.

Wonder why that hasn't already happened with the company pulling product off shelves and places like Amazon.com?
Old 08-30-24, 07:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe J-B Weld's Chip Hanson should be on the lookout for false advertising lawsuits.

Wonder why that hasn't already happened with the company pulling product off shelves and places like Amazon.com?
You actually think J-B Weld has a higher temperature failure point than titanium lol. There are thousands of products with false advertising for example LED bulb brightness or stereo component ratings etc. etc.
Old 08-31-24, 05:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You actually think J-B Weld has a higher temperature failure point than titanium lol.
No, it doesn't.

Your understanding that 1,600°F is the melting point for Titanium is not correct...

Titanium has a melting point of 3,034°F

J-B Weld 'ExtremeHeat' can withstand continuous heat to 2,400°F.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-31-24 at 07:31 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 08-31-24, 06:00 AM
EAST
Advanced

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Here's another alternative someone did on an Infinity. They used wire to grab both clips. Post 4.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...headlight.html
The following 2 users liked this post by EAST:
bclexus (08-31-24), jgscott (09-05-24)
Old 08-31-24, 06:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EAST
Here's another alternative someone did on an Infinity. They used wire to grab both clips. Post 4.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...headlight.html
That's the method I prefer, but using something like 16ga. rebar tie-wire, or stainless-steel straps or better yet; use stainless-steel wire (images far below) to keep the bracket's spring clamp ends compressed solidly so the spring clamp holds the lamp bulb's body tightly.

Here's the image you are referring to EAST:

I've used this stranded stainless-steel line wire in 10lb, 30lb and 50lb strengths with crimp sleeves (or tie a knot) for various projects. It's available up to 200lb strength from Amazon.com.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-31-24 at 06:36 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 08-31-24, 07:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

They can claim whatever they want in practice heat breaks the bond. I tried using J-B Weld on a cracked thread/boss that holds the alternator it lasted for a bit then failed.
You most likely used the wrong product for the job. You probably mistakenly used JB Weld's epoxy.

Unlike J-B Weld epoxy, J-B Weld ExtremeHeat can be drilled, machined, thread-cutting tapped or sanded once it's fully cured.

Like so many product applications, proper preparation and mixing and curing is essential for a favorable outcome.

Quick Reply: Headlight Lamp Bracket