GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pulling to the right after alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-24 | 07:25 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

Default Pulling to the right after alignment?

I’ve already read a couple threads that have addressed a pull after an alignment but this one’s got me kind of stumped.

Just picked up the car 3 weeks ago from a dealer and noted a pull during the test drive. They agreed to fix it as part of the sale. An alignment was done when they got it but I asked for another. They did it again and got it dialed. Still pulling. Another thing they’re fixing as part of the sale is the back left BSM sensor needs calibrating and they think that could be the reason for the pull. Idk, I’ll find out tomorrow when it goes back in for service. I’m also hearing a howl that sounds like a wheel bearing along with a slight pulsing vibration, but they said they heard nothing through the stethoscope. If that’s not it, all I can think is it needs new tires. I’m at a loss. Don’t know why it’s pulling and don’t know where the howl/pulsing is coming from. Wheel turns almost immediately when letting off the brake from a stop. Is this some sort of electronic steering calibration issue?

Last edited by Jewbacca92; 09-16-24 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-15-24 | 10:14 PM
EAST
Advanced

Do the tires show unusual wear?

What is the BMS sensor?

Is this at a Toyota/Lexus dealer?
Old 09-16-24 | 05:24 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Is it pulling to the right or the steering wheel not directly straight on when the car is tracking straight?
It could be road camber. Drive the car at freeway speeds and see if the car drives straight for 3-4 seconds. If it does then it more likely the steering and you need to adjust the tie rods to get the steering wheel straight
Old 09-16-24 | 03:33 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

BSM sensor is blind spot monitoring. Tires aren’t new but they’re not showing extreme or unusual wear. And this is a Toyota dealer.
The wheel is center when keeping the car moving straight and alignment is pretty dead nuts. It actually pulls to the right immediately after letting go of the wheel.
Old 09-16-24 | 04:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes there is a Yaw and Rake steering calibration done in Techstream. But I don't think it's your problem if it's pulling like you say.

Sounds like maybe wheel bearings, and/or some other steering or suspension parts worn on gone bad. One other thing is the brakes if they are hanging up on that side some.
The following users liked this post:
Jewbacca92 (09-16-24)
Old 09-16-24 | 09:04 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yes there is a Yaw and Rake steering calibration done in Techstream. But I don't think it's your problem if it's pulling like you say.

Sounds like maybe wheel bearings, and/or some other steering or suspension parts worn on gone bad. One other thing is the brakes if they are hanging up on that side some.
I’m almost positive it’s a wheel bearing but they said they didn’t hear anything with the stethoscope. I hear/feel the pulse and hear the howl, pronounced under braking but pretty constant. Just dropped the car off today and got a loaner. I’m hoping they figure it out. I guess it could be the brakes… they only resurfaced them, which I hated but at least the brake pulse went away.
Old 09-16-24 | 09:26 PM
EAST
Advanced

It just seems weird to me that the blond spot monitor radar would influence steering. I could see the sensors that jgscott mentioned but not BSM.

Then again it's at least a Toyota dealer, so they should figure it out.
Old 09-17-24 | 07:57 AM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

They’re also “fixing it as part of the sale”, which really means any repairs have to be approved by sales. If it’s too expensive, there’s a chance they could deny responsibility. Hopefully the fidelity warranty I bought will cover it. If not, worst case is they’re able to diagnose it and I’ll do the work myself.
Old 09-17-24 | 05:27 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

Update:

BSM sensor is calibrated and car is still pulling. Service department literally asked if they could install the GS-F LCA bushings i have in my back seat free of charge to see if that fixes it. Of course I said yes. Even if it doesn’t fix the pull, it’s free labor! I never thought a dealer would install customer provided parts that aren’t specific to my model.
More updates to come.
Old 09-17-24 | 07:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

That car ever been in a accident?
Old 09-19-24 | 05:09 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

It has but extremely minor
Old 09-20-24 | 06:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
That car ever been in a accident?
Originally Posted by Jewbacca92
It has but extremely minor
That car may have hit a curb or pothole hard enough to bend/damage a suspension arm or part that makes the car pull to the right. It might not be visually apparent or even noticeable when an alignment is done.

Control Arms: The control arms are connected directly to your wheels, making them particularly vulnerable to an impact. Damage can cause misalignment, loose steering, and uneven tire wear.

Tie Rods: Tie rods can get bent if you hit a curb, causing your car to misalign and create uneven tire wear. As a result, you may feel the car pull to one side.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-20-24 at 06:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tompass2 (09-20-24)
Old 09-20-24 | 08:51 AM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

Yeah I’ve had the car on a lift and there is no visible damage, however, one of the rims has a small bend in it so I suspect you’re right.
Old 09-20-24 | 03:44 PM
tompass2
Driver School Candidate

That certainly could be the issue. Even a bad tire or underinflated tire could cause care to pull one way or other. Hopefully you will get it sorted out.
Old 09-20-24 | 05:06 PM
Jewbacca92
Rookie

Just picked the car up after they told me installing the LCA bushings fixed it. It most certainly didn’t.

They also messed my bumper up while fixing a rear sensor. Looks like they couldn’t align it right, tried to force it, scratched it up, then gave it back to me with bulging panel gaps.

Whoever is working on my car clearly has no idea what they’re doing and doesn’t care.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right after alignment?