GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Quiet tires for ‘15 GS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24 | 07:14 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Default Quiet tires for ‘15 GS AWD

I asked about this prior to buying my GS in 2015, I cannot find any updates. I did buy Pirelli P7’s and liked them but with the change in ownership of the once all Italian company I no longer want to buy tires from them. At 40k I replaced those with Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires which were quiet until I hit 10,000 miles on them, at that time it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. I called Vredestein and they were kind enough to send 4 Hitrac tires. They are on the car now and around town they are fine, but very noisy on the highway. I will change these as soon as I find a very quiet tires, road noise is a pet peeve. All recommendations will be appreciated. I know Michelin tires are highly regarded here. I would like to know tire manufacturers and models that people believe are quiet. Cannot see driving such a great car and to have the noise I am experiencing.

thanks

BB
Old 09-17-24 | 10:23 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 plus on my 2010 GS 350. They have gotten quite loud as the miles have piled on. Particularly on course roads driving around town. They have excellent grip though.

I plan on replacing them with the Yokohama Advan Sport +. Many reviews mention them being quiet and comfortable. Softer riding than other UHP tires. I’ll let others chime as I think some forum users have these tires on their 4GS.

Other tires you might want to consider are the Michelin Primacy Tour and the Bridgestone Turanza Quitettrack. I recommend doing research on tire rack.
Old 09-17-24 | 11:10 AM
BB11
Intermediate

CarFan, thank you. Doing research on TireRack is what led me to the Vredestein tires I originally bought but I do intend to go there again. I should have gotten the Yokohama tires that were also high picks for me. Thank you

BB
Old 09-17-24 | 03:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BB11
I asked about this prior to buying my GS in 2015, I cannot find any updates. I did buy Pirelli P7’s and liked them but with the change in ownership of the once all Italian company I no longer want to buy tires from them. At 40k I replaced those with Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires which were quiet until I hit 10,000 miles on them, at that time it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. I called Vredestein and they were kind enough to send 4 Hitrac tires. They are on the car now and around town they are fine, but very noisy on the highway. I will change these as soon as I find a very quiet tires, road noise is a pet peeve. All recommendations will be appreciated. I know Michelin tires are highly regarded here. I would like to know tire manufacturers and models that people believe are quiet. Cannot see driving such a great car and to have the noise I am experiencing.

thanks

BB
Vredestein HiTrac All Season (tirerack.com)

I love your HiTrac A/S's 94V load and speed rating.
The V speed rating is for a maximum of only 240 kph metric, unlike the W at 270 kph and the Y at 300 kph metric; tires designed for high speeds generally use more rigid carcasses, hence a firmer and noisier ride.
However, your HiTrac A/S also has a thumping 700 UTQG treadwear index, indicating that it wears seven times more slowly than a tire with a 100 treadwear index - in other words, this model is generally a harder compound - and that possibly explains your highway noise on coarse surfaces.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 plus on my 2010 GS 350. They have gotten quite loud as the miles have piled on. Particularly on course roads driving around town. They have excellent grip though.

I plan on replacing them with the Yokohama Advan Sport +. Many reviews mention them being quiet and comfortable. Softer riding than other UHP tires. I’ll let others chime as I think some forum users have these tires on their 4GS.

Other tires you might want to consider are the Michelin Primacy Tour and the Bridgestone Turanza Quitettrack. I recommend doing research on tire rack.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus (tirerack.com)

The 94 load rating is great.
The W speed rating for 270 kph metric is on the high side, indicating a more rigid ply construction.
However, the 560 treadwear index is on the hard side; wears 5.6 times more slowly than a treadwear index of 100.

Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ (tirerack.com)

Is this Advan Sport A/S+ what you're after?
98W has a high load rating, so the construction is more rigid, and this may give you a thumpier ride in my experience.
The W speed rating for 270 kph metric means it is a rather high speed tire with rigid construction.
The 440 treadwear index is a slightly softer compound.

Overall, it will be interesting to see how this model performs.

For both the OP and you - a 94V load and speed rating indicative of a more flexible construction, with a 250-300 treadwear index for a soft compound would be more ideal - though you would have to replace tires more frequently like me.
Old 09-17-24 | 04:06 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

​​​​​​​​​​my 3GS takes 245/40R18

Yokohama Advan Sport +

Old 09-17-24 | 05:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

​​​my 3GS takes 245/40R18

Yokohama Advan Sport +

Wow.
Will be interesting how that tire rides.
In my experience, the worst part about that model is the 97Y load and speed rating.

94 is 670 kg metric.
Every additional number is another 20 kg metric.
Hence, 97 load rating is for 730 kg AFAIK.
Meanwhile in my experience, the Y speed rating for a full 300 kph metric is a disaster.

The load and speed rating for my 3GS is 94W at 670 kg and only 270 kph metric.
I would generally expect this 97Y at 730 kg and 300 kph metric - to be a tire with a very rigid construction and terse ride!
Meanwhile, the 440 treadwear index is quite resistant to wear, indicating that the compound is on the hard side.

The manufacturer always claims hi performance, smooth and quiet, but it is quite often not so simple.
Hence, it will be very interesting to see how these tires actually ride for softness and quietness.
The only way you will know is to actually try these tires yourself.

If you're after smooth quiet tires and you're okay with Chinese ownership of Pirelli, you're after all season tires and you don't really speed much beyond 90 mph, then these Cinturato P7 All Season tires in either 93H or 97H will generally be a much softer ply wall construction, because H is only for 210 kph metric.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season (tirerack.com)

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-17-24 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-17-24 | 05:55 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

These are also an option but much more expensive than the Yokohamas and worse performance…..

Old 09-17-24 | 06:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

These are also an option but much more expensive than the Yokohamas and worse performance…..
I think you can always test those Yokohamas and see how it goes?

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks?
I like the 93V both low load and low speed ratings!
However, the 800 treadwear index is quite high, indicating perhaps a hard compound - hence the poor performance is understandable!

I myself have old 3ES with discontinued Turanza Serenity Plus 94H and 600 treadwear, and despite the compound hardness, I find that the 94H is quite smooth and quiet.
Hence, despite the QuietTracks 800 treadwear, I would expect the 93V to keep the sidewalls flexible.
However, with a treadwear of 800 and a hard compound - there is obviously not much grip.

Hence, I still find those Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S with 500 treadwear compound and 93H giving a nice soft flexible sidewall best; the 500 treadwear is reasonably soft to give some grip.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-17-24 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-24 | 07:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

If you don't do the P7 A/S +3, which is what I would do and had on my GS when I had 18's. That Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ is the best thing going, handling, quietness, and smooth ride wise.
The following users liked this post:
G35toGS350 (09-20-24)
Old 09-17-24 | 07:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
If you don't do the P7 A/S +3, which is what I would do and had on my GS when I had 18's. That Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ is the best thing going, handling, quietness, and smooth ride wise.
Are the Advan Sport A/S+ softer riding than the P7 A/S+3?
Old 09-17-24 | 07:40 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

P7 plus 3 is not available in 245/40R18. But the P7 Cinturato is. It’s not reviewed as highly as the plus 3.
Old 09-17-24 | 08:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

P7 plus 3 is not available in 245/40R18. But the P7 Cinturato is. It’s not reviewed as highly as the plus 3.
Interesting.
For 235/45 R18, the P7 A/S Plus 3 at 740 is a hard compound, but at 94V, the ply construction is quite flexible.

The P7 A/S Plus 3 reminds me of Turanza QuietTrack and OP's HiTrack - all three featuring harder compounds with V 240 kph metric low load and low speed ratings normally indicative of flexible tire construction.
Though this is only a rough educated guess based on specs.

At the end of the day, we won't know until we actually test the tires.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-17-24 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-18-24 | 06:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Are the Advan Sport A/S+ softer riding than the P7 A/S+3?
They are about the same, but the P7 is just a bit softer riding. The Advan def has the Advantage in handling tho.

The P7 I am referring to is the P7 Cinturato A/S Plus 3.
Old 09-18-24 | 07:24 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Have you decided on a Grand Touring tire, or a UHP tire? I think deciding that will help narrow down some options. If you are rocking the 235/45r18 size like i just took off my 13 AWD, I had Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive and while they were not sporty, they were virtually silent on most surfaces, even half worn. They are also grippy and comfortable, but since they aren't UHP (and not available in 245/40r19), I didn't replace with another set of them. These are by far the best Goodyear tires I've run on, however.
Old 09-18-24 | 05:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lanson
Have you decided on a Grand Touring tire, or a UHP tire? I think deciding that will help narrow down some options. If you are rocking the 235/45r18 size like i just took off my 13 AWD, I had Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive and while they were not sporty, they were virtually silent on most surfaces, even half worn. They are also grippy and comfortable, but since they aren't UHP (and not available in 245/40r19), I didn't replace with another set of them. These are by far the best Goodyear tires I've run on, however.
Goodyear sucked for many years. They tried to make a comeback. One problem still remains is that no matter how much you rotate balance and well aligned..... they always still wear uneven, , hi/low, cup and then make noise.

Quick Reply: Quiet tires for ‘15 GS AWD