GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 07:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I tried all kinds of adjustments and the ML was a $2K dissapointment in FM and CD formats.
DVD-A audio is dead now anyway.
I also went with the low friction pads.My dealer did the change out without a TSB.
To this day,I'm very happy with Lexus service.
it could be related to music you guys listen, i just came back from listening few CD's in mine, and it was kick butting ;-). Never tried LS's sytem, but RX's ML was nowhere as good.
Old 12-11-09, 07:16 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Cj with all due respect, what the heck does GSh have to do with HS and ES?

"Downmarket" GSh would start at GS350 prices which are 10k more than those two FWD cars.
A proverbial ES hybrid would be around $45K leaving no room for a downmarket GSh in the US. I've said it many times before but a downmarket GS can be offered in Europe because there would be no overlap there.

So pretty much everyone wins. Europe gets a more affordable GS300h option, and the US gets a higher performance GS500h
Old 12-11-09, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default just found this

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/12/1...xus-gs-rumors/
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-09-12-10-2011-lexus-gs.jpg  
Old 12-11-09, 08:33 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

That pic is the current GS rear end I think
Old 12-11-09, 10:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, that's the current GS in silhouette.
Old 12-12-09, 06:32 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._gs/index.html

Not sure how accurate this is...particularly on the heels of the print edition reportedly claiming the GS-F was undecided...they changed their reporting yet again.
Yet another discrepancy in the online vs print edition of this Motor Trend article: The online version claims that the 4th-gen GS will be lighter than the current one due to the use of carbon fiber in its structure, while the print version states that it'll be lighter because of increased use of aluminum...
Old 12-12-09, 06:48 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
...over there in Europe the HS isn't sold so I can see the desire for a more fuel efficient hybrid sedan.
With Toyota already having announced that they'll be building an Auris Hybrid (essentially a rebodied Matrix) in the UK, it's hardly a stretch to picture them also offering a hybrid version of the Avensis that is also built in the same plant.

An Avensis Hybrid in the top-of-the-line T Spirit trim would be about as close to a Lexus HS as a Toyota Camry XLE V6 is to a Lexus ES 350. Surely this is why Toyota Europe turned down the HS. And Europe's lower sales volumes don't justify two such closely-placed models from Toyota and Lexus.
Old 12-12-09, 06:56 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

They should do
GS350 Entry
GSXXX with V8
GSXXX with Hybrid Powertrain
GS-F

I mean we had 300s, 400s and 430s in the second gen and 300s, 350s, 430s, 460s, 450hs. So I can't see why there can't be 4 versions
Old 12-12-09, 08:01 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Yet another discrepancy in the online vs print edition of this Motor Trend article: The online version claims that the 4th-gen GS will be lighter than the current one due to the use of carbon fiber in its structure, while the print version states that it'll be lighter because of increased use of aluminum...
This brings their sources into question even more. Also the print version doesn't even mention a GS250.

Originally Posted by jruhi4
With Toyota already having announced that they'll be building an Auris Hybrid (essentially a rebodied Matrix) in the UK, it's hardly a stretch to picture them also offering a hybrid version of the Avensis that is also built in the same plant.

An Avensis Hybrid in the top-of-the-line T Spirit trim would be about as close to a Lexus HS as a Toyota Camry XLE V6 is to a Lexus ES 350. Surely this is why Toyota Europe turned down the HS. And Europe's lower sales volumes don't justify two such closely-placed models from Toyota and Lexus.
That's true. I've also heard that Lexus Europe didn't want the HS because it was FWD, and they wanted to have all RWD sedans. I've also heard that it had something to do with the IS220d, but other reports are showing that the IS220 is going to be axed soon...

My point was mainly about a low end GSh (300h possibly) being sold in Europe for those that want a fuel efficient midsized LEXUS sedan at a reasonable price. The fact that it's RWD would be a plus for most Europeans .

In the US we have the HS and soon to come ESh and ISh, so there's no need for an affordable GSh.
Old 12-12-09, 10:32 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

WTF? Does every Lexus have to be $35K lol
Looks like these days Lexus is more concerned about selling $35-$45k cars than anything else. Just look at how many ES and RX's Lexus is selling.
Old 12-12-09, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Looks like these days Lexus is more concerned about selling $35-$45k cars than anything else. Just look at how many ES and RX's Lexus is selling.
i can never seem to understand your logic. there are also a lot of c and 3 around, what's your point again? do you honestly expect all manufacturers to sell more of their expensive models?
Old 12-12-09, 11:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i can never seem to understand your logic. there are also a lot of c and 3 around, what's your point again? ?
My point is. Lexus sells way more cheaper cars than they ever did in the past. The IS250, HS, ES and RX account for a much bigger percentage of the sales than Lexus had before. People were willing to pay a premium a higher end Lexus like the GS. Moving the GS down in price is the right thing to do for Lexus if they want gain sales with the GS as the current GS is too overpriced....Same thing goes with Mercedes and BMW...not sure if the US has the 1 series or B class but we do here in Canada, those are some entry level cars.

Toyota has made it cheaper than ever before to get into a Lexus.

do you honestly expect all manufacturers to sell more of their expensive models
Lexus used to sell a lot more expensive models compared to their cheaper models...today, the cheaper models far, far outsell the more exensive ones.
Old 12-12-09, 11:42 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
You do know that GS is in the same segment as the 5-series, E-class and A6 right? Do you know how much those cost? No? Well then... Google is your friend...

Also, if the GS460 is pointless then the 550i, E550 and A6 4.2 are all pointless... Is that what you are trying to say?
GS350 and GS460 compete more with the Hyundai Genesis and Infiniti M35/45 than 5 series.
Old 12-12-09, 11:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

A proverbial ES hybrid would be around $45K leaving no room for a downmarket GSh in the US. I've said it many times before but a downmarket GS can be offered in Europe because there would be no overlap there.

So pretty much everyone wins. Europe gets a more affordable GS300h option, and the US gets a higher performance GS500h
you are making no sense... thats like saying that IS and GS can not share engines together.

Difference between base GS and ES is 10k... difference between ESh and GSh with same equipment would be the same.
Old 12-12-09, 12:59 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
you are making no sense... thats like saying that IS and GS can not share engines together.

Difference between base GS and ES is 10k... difference between ESh and GSh with same equipment would be the same.
Exactly, which is why the HS and the ESh can coexist too IMO.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)