GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 09:44 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Technically, there is an M7, but it's called the Alpina B7.
Yes technically on paper, the B7 is a M7. But still technically it is not a genuine M vehicle. From BMW, you can only go as far as getting a M-sport package on the 7-series, which is similar to what Lexus is doing with the LS460 Sport, just a sport package, but no genuine full on F model.

Originally Posted by Incredible
Mercedes even has an S63 and S65 AMG.
That is true, and Lexus does model after MB more then BMW.

I do hope there is a really good LS-F in the future, it is a car that fit my needs and preferences. The current LS460 sport is not impressive to me.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-22-11 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think Li-ion is still some way to go, maybe still a bit early for cars like gsh.

i agree with BNR34, b7 is still just aftermarket tuning, until i see m7... but regardless, i think lexus needs more cars in the lineup before doing a f car in the ls
Old 03-22-11, 11:03 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i think Li-ion is still some way to go, maybe still a bit early for cars like gsh.

i agree with BNR34, b7 is still just aftermarket tuning, until i see m7... but regardless, i think lexus needs more cars in the lineup before doing a f car in the ls
More cars? It already got more then it needs. I hope Lexus don't become like the European brands, have way too many models and variations......making it too crowded and confusing.
Old 03-22-11, 11:09 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I think Li-ion batteries is still VERY expensive, they can't include it in a $50k~$60k mid size full luxury sedan yet.
I'll respectfully disagree with you there, citing the upcoming Toyota Prius v / Prius+. In Japan (the only market thus far confirmed to receive both versions), the 7-seater with lithium-ion batteries is about $8000 more than the 5-seater with nickel-metal hydride batteries. Granted, that jump kept Toyota from offering the third-row seat in the North American Prius v, but I think it's one that the Lexus GS can manage.
Old 03-22-11, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

of course hyundai has done it with sonata, but that's certainly no GS!
Old 03-22-11, 11:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^And the results/performance are pretty lackluster
Old 03-22-11, 11:27 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I highly doubt the GS will get LI-ion. Im pretty sure those new batteries will debut on a more important vehicle like the LS or the Prius
Old 03-22-11, 11:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I'll respectfully disagree with you there, citing the upcoming Toyota Prius v / Prius+. In Japan (the only market thus far confirmed to receive both versions), the 7-seater with lithium-ion batteries is about $8000 more than the 5-seater with nickel-metal hydride batteries. Granted, that jump kept Toyota from offering the third-row seat in the North American Prius v, but I think it's one that the Lexus GS can manage.
That's exactly my point, the issue here is cost. So the additional cost to put lithium-ion in a Prius is $8k, I could be wrong, but common sense tells me the electric motor in the GSh is more powerful, thus requiring more batteries then the Prius, so let's say $10k additional cost.

The current GSh is $64k~$68k depending on options, very few people buy it the way it is. Make it $10k more, they lose more buyers. It is getting into the S400 territory.
Old 03-22-11, 11:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course hyundai has done it with sonata, but that's certainly no GS!
The technologies is there, the question is cost.

It is easier to put it into a lower price economy cars like a Prius and Sonata, adding $6k~$8k onto a $19k car is still manageable for some people. And those are weak Hybrid, don't need a whole lot of batteries.

You add $10k~$12k onto a $68k luxury car due to batteries, it will drive buyers away. Few people want a $80k GSh. And a $80k GSh type vehicle is on it's way, is call a Testa Model S......and it is aim for low volume.

Look at the Volt, it is a $41k econobox since it got a whole lot of lithium-ion batteries.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-22-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

More cars? It already got more then it needs. I hope Lexus don't become like the European brands, have way too many models and variations......making it too crowded and confusing.
lexus doesn't have any coupe yet. the isc is convertible, not simple closed top coupe. there is no larger coupe like the sc430. those are all holes to fill before they do anything like the lsf imho
Old 03-22-11, 12:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

lexus doesn't have any coupe yet. the isc is convertible, not simple closed top coupe. there is no larger coupe like the sc430. those are all holes to fill before they do anything like the lsf imho
That's true, it definitely need a SC430 replacement, would be nice to have a mid size coupe too like a E-class coupe.

I think the idea of just having one hardtop convertible model is good though, so it keep the production cost down from having fewer variations. I mean with the top up, it is as quiet and solid as a fixed top coupe, people that don't like top down motoring can just never put it down, nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-22-11, 01:10 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

That's true, it definitely need a SC430 replacement, would be nice to have a mid size coupe too like a E-class coupe.

I think the idea of just having one hardtop convertible model is good though, so it keep the production cost down from having fewer variations. I mean with the top up, it is as quiet and solid as a fixed top coupe, people that don't like top down motoring can just never put it down, nothing wrong with that.
In my opinion, a hardtop will never compare to a fixed top coupe. A fixed top coupe looks better than a convertible regardless. For example, the IS sedan looks great but the lines were screwed up on the IS convertible. It has the big rear overhang to accomodate the top and decent rear seating. BMW has managed to make the 3 series convertible look almost as good as the fixed top coupe though. Also, the fixed top coupe will be lighter too without all of the complications of a convertible.
Old 03-22-11, 03:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just met a guy at the company i'm currently consulting for. He worked for 15 years with Toyota Motorsport and spent his time developing and setting up their F1 test development center. Since the F1 program is no longer around, they did a lot of work on other Toyota development products. He said they're currently finishing up work on a Lexus V8 that has been fitted with a twin turbo system. I would hope that's for a GS-F
Old 03-22-11, 03:45 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

i think Lexus needs coupes (fixed top variety). i love coupes more than sedans, but would choose a sedan over a convertible. To me, a convertible with the top up does not equal to a coupe.
Old 03-22-11, 03:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by pbm317
I just met a guy at the company i'm currently consulting for. He worked for 15 years with Toyota Motorsport and spent his time developing and setting up their F1 test development center. Since the F1 program is no longer around, they did a lot of work on other Toyota development products. He said they're currently finishing up work on a Lexus V8 that has been fitted with a twin turbo system. I would hope that's for a GS-F
like like like

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)