GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 02:35 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you are making no sense... thats like saying that IS and GS can not share engines together.

Difference between base GS and ES is 10k... difference between ESh and GSh with same equipment would be the same.
No, I'm not saying that an IS and GS can't share engines. Let's just go back for a second. You said that a GS300h would cost around the price of the current GS350. That's fine for Europe, but in the US an ES hybrid would cost about that same amount of money.

Yes an ES400h or ES450h would be 10+K less than a GS450h or GS500h, but an ES400h/450h would be the same price as a GS300h. In the US the GS300h would be a tough sell next to an ES400h/450h. That's my point.

I hope I'm making more sense now. Also since you're from Europe this stuff doesn't really matter. In the EU I would think that Lexus could put whatever engines they wanted in the GS. Isn't the 5 series there available with a 2.0L engine?

Anyway in the US Lexus can't really add entry level or downmarket engines to the GS because we have the entry level ES here also. There isn't really any overlap between the IS and GS because they are clearly two different sizes, but the ES and GS are about the same size and most Americans can't tell the difference between FWD and RWD. So that's why I'm saying Lexus has to be careful to keep as much of a distinction as possible between the ES and GS in the US.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Exactly, which is why the HS and the ESh can coexist too IMO.
Of course an HS and ESh, could coexist. The HS is an I4 hybrid and the ESh would likely be a V6 hybrid (like the RX).
Old 12-12-09, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

11 pages already?
Old 12-24-09, 11:22 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Rumor from Japan’s Best Car Magazine says the GS-F is likely to receive the V-10.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/breaking-...-in-the-works/

Breaking: Lexus GS-F in the works!

After they told us about the coming of the 2013 Nissan GT-R Hybrid, Japan’s Best Car Magazine is back with more hot news! According to the folks from Japan, Lexus is working hard on the GS-F Sports Sedan, a new vehicle which is going to take on the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, Audi RS6 and the Bmw M5.

It appears that the vehicle is going to receive a massive V10 (although a V8 is also considered but it seems that is not too powerful to push the car to its limits). There are big chances to see the V10 engine found on the LFA Supercar on this new baby, but with a smaller amount of power. The new vehicle is expected to be revealed next year! More details to be revealed!
Old 12-25-09, 01:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it would be a cop out to drop the V8 from the ISF into the GSF. It makes more sense for Lexus to try to recoop the money for development of the LFA V10 power plant and drop a detuned version into the new GSF. Bottom line is the new GSF should put out about 550 hp to really shake things up. The ISF motor is already pretty tweaked to make the power it does already. I think a V10 makes more sense for this car relative to the competition and the hp target that should be set for a car like this
Old 12-25-09, 01:13 AM
LexFather

Actually the IS-F is nowhere near it's poweR limits. They pursue MPG and emissions and reliability as well as power so the car is fine with 416hp

Old 12-25-09, 02:02 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

550 hp... thats 2 less HP than the LFA ...

I say its gonna be close to 475-500 hp...
Old 12-25-09, 03:54 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think it would be a cop out to drop the V8 from the ISF into the GSF.
If the engine was NA yes, but if it had a form of forced induction, no it wouldn't be a cop out. A supercharged 5.0L V8 could easily get over 500 hp and also get over a whopping 500ftlb all at a super low RPM.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It makes more sense for Lexus to try to recoop the money for development of the LFA V10 power plant and drop a detuned version into the new GSF. Bottom line is the new GSF should put out about 550 hp to really shake things up. The ISF motor is already pretty tweaked to make the power it does already. I think a V10 makes more sense for this car relative to the competition and the hp target that should be set for a car like this
I don't think Lexus would really be recouping the cost of the V10 by putting it in the GS. The engine is so specialized that it would cost a lot of money just to modify it for a super sedan application.

The engine is currently made for a 3000lb carbon fiber supercar, but the GSF will probably be closer to 4500lbs...

Last edited by (Cj); 12-25-09 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-27-09, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually the IS-F is nowhere near it's poweR limits. They pursue MPG and emissions and reliability as well as power so the car is fine with 416hp
agree, the isf engine is not even close to be maxed out. lexus / yamaha is so conservative in the engine. if they want to put power from the 5L v8, they can get a lot more out.

but i also think a v10 makes sense, or a FI v8. similar isf v8 in the gsf against what bmw and mb have in the m5 and e amg? nah...
Old 12-27-09, 10:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll have fun reading all the replies later but I am surprised so many of you put much credibility in a MT report.
Old 12-28-09, 11:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I guess more than anything else it would come down to what character they want the car to have.

I believe Lexus could easily modify the V10 for the GS-F application. Take out the Titanium bits, the dry sump system, stroke it slightly to 5.0l, perhaps add DI. It probably wouldn't rev as fast or high, but it's still be a high speed motor.

Conversely they could supercharge the IS motor, giving it similar power to a modded V10, but with gobs of torque from down low.

To be honest, as long as it is at least 500hp, I don't care anymore which motor they decide to use.
Old 12-29-09, 02:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agree, the isf engine is not even close to be maxed out. lexus / yamaha is so conservative in the engine. if they want to put power from the 5L v8, they can get a lot more out.

but i also think a v10 makes sense, or a FI v8. similar isf v8 in the gsf against what bmw and mb have in the m5 and e amg? nah...
Agreed. I think FI V8 would make more sense as the perfect motor for a "GS F". Imagine a FI V8 w/Hybrid.
Old 12-29-09, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus is going to use that V10 engine in the LFA somewhere, if not the GS-F, then maybe a LS-F?
Old 12-29-09, 07:48 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus is going to use that V10 engine in the LFA somewhere, if not the GS-F, then maybe a LS-F?
Total mismatch of Chassis/Motor, not to mention it'd be the answer to a question nobody asked.
Old 12-29-09, 07:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Total mismatch of Chassis/Motor, not to mention it'd be the answer to a question nobody asked.
I am sure nobody thought Lexus can stuff that V8 in the IS-F either.
Old 12-29-09, 08:40 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am sure nobody thought Lexus can stuff that V8 in the IS-F either.
It's not a question of "Can it be done"

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)