GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 01:03 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

this does not bode well for the continued touch screen that we love so much...

Old 04-12-11, 01:32 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

looks like a solid purchase for me, asisde from just the glimpse pics this looks better got that audi feel.
Old 04-12-11, 02:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks like a close to production concept to me.

That grille will stay.

I like the car. It is distinctive. The interior is top notch. If they can deliver me one by years end with >400 hp I'll put down a deposit now.
Old 04-12-11, 03:27 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm slightly disappointed. Was hoping for more of a coupeish shape to it. The pronounced trunk area reminds me of the current LS. But... watching the video of it rolling it looks pretty mean. I'd definitely consider buying it. I do think that no side mirrors looks a little funny though.

Last edited by jre002; 04-12-11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:08 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The studio pics look good. The outdoor pics don't look as good.

What is telling for me is what I recognise as I look through different pictures.

Front lights I thought Acura. Back I thought Acura / BMW. Middle of the side I saw 3GS (because that's what it is!). Rear end from the side I saw LS460. Profile pic overall I see Infiniti M or LS460.

So overall I don't see a distinctive feel to the car, perhaps that's why that very imaginative grill is on the front.

The interior pic I see leather(?) on the front dash which is Jaguar XF.

I just wish they would design a car holistically instead of (what seems) borrowing from so many different places.

They have achieved that elsewhere (IS and to some extent LS&ES) They don't seem to be able to decide what a GS is about.

Also compare this concept against the original one from 2005. No contest. Why they didn't just go with the shape of the 2005 concept for the 3GS, I do not know. It compares to Audi A5 / A7, Mercedes CLS, Jaguar XK. Those are the kind of shapes that would get me excited about Lexus. And that makes me ask why does this new concept not really look like a concept but instead some kind of enthusiast project or an artists attempt at a 4GS?

For an example of someone getting it right, just take a look at the Jag XF (in fact almost any Jag apart from Ford influenced S & X types). Disclaimer, I know someone will say that Jag copied Lexus, but there is a back story to 1990 about that and in any case, Jag have executed, while Lexus have not.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-lexus_lf-s_la_auto_show.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-09-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg  

Last edited by rjacket; 04-12-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I like the design. Here's my assessment

What I like:
1) First world class interior from Lexus. They finally figured out how to integrate wood properly into the design. No cheap plastics. Premium finishes. leather dash.
2) I love the look from the rear (the straight on shot as if you are following the car). Very stylish and sporty. The best appearance of a car from the rear in this segment. The lights and the concave shape really work.
3) the front looks awesome in the dark shot with the headlights on. In fact those headlights are just mesmerizing.
4) grille is a love or hate thing. I love it. I hope they don't water it down, because if it ends up being boring like the Audi grille this car will be agree, and if they put the bumper on the outside then it will look like a 2006 IS.
5) finally some proper sized wheels and no gap (we will see if those make to production, although I have a feeling these are production wheels for the GSxxx Sport)

What I did not like
1) side profile is bland. Could be any sedan. Should have been more coupe like - more like the current car.
2) short wheel base. If the wheel base is same as current car it will also inherit the lack of interior space. It wouldn't surprise me if the F30 BMW 3 series has more interior leg room. This would be a deal breaker for me. I need 2 inches more in front, and 1 inch more in rear as far as leg room goes. Basically same leg room Infiniti serves up in the M56S.
3) The hood and the side panels look very flat. It needs more shape - creases and curves. like the 5 series or like our current GS.
4) the c pillar and rear window are boxy like the E60 5 series. I consider the E60 5 series to be one of the ugliest cars ever made.

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-12-11 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:17 PM
rjacket
Driver

Hah:

“For this concept, Lexus designers studied characteristics that are often considered contradictory and difficult to execute together,” said Kengo Matsumoto, general manager, Lexus Design Division, Toyota Motor Corporation. “The captivating design of the LF-Gh concept examines the possibility of balancing what are normally opposing qualities, such as style and functionality.”

In other words, Lexus designers looked at the existing GS, wanted to make it longer so looked at the LS, noticed that Acura's front ends were distinctive so decided to do that, looked at BMW and were influenced a bit there, looked at the Jaguar and Audi and thought lets change the interior. The only thing I can't see they got confused by seems to be Mercedes!
Old 04-12-11, 04:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and.......... we wait some more.

seeing how lexus concepts are drastically different from production, this will be nothing like the final 4GS.

Originally Posted by *Batman*

What I did not like
1) side profile is bland. Could be any sedan. Should have been more coupe like - more like the current car.
2) short wheel base. .

yeah. they stretched the car 2 inches, and barely touched the wheelbase.
Look at that rear overhang.

I also don't quite like the squiggly rear door line near the window kink.

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-12-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:44 PM
rjacket
Driver

Don't understand the world class interior comment at all. Firstly, these are (limited) pics so how would you know. Secondly, it's a concept so what are you assuming here? That it's the 4GS interior? That's a big assumption both from a design and materials quality perspective.

Straight on shot from the rear is good - if you are the height that the camera is at. But you'll never see it from that angle unless you're vertically challenged. Unfortunately other angles, and those that you would most likely be looking from, of the rear are not so flattering. The best looking shots of the rear are taken from lower down which is a common technique.

I like the grille too. Best part of the design.

The things you don't like are in excess of the things you do like (many of which are assumptions or misinformed (interior, wheels, rear from a low shot)).

In addition, from an exterior aesthetics, the things you like are ones you'll rarely see yourself eg rear from low down, front in the dark with lights on, while the things you don't like are ones you will see every time you get into the car; side on profile, hood side panel, c pillar and rear windows. Indeed the c pillar and rear windows you say are the ugliest you've ever seen. How would you avoid seeing that every time?

So I don't think you'll actually like this car. Either that or that your imagination is very strong and you have convinced yourself that you will like it regardless.

It really is a poor concept.

Originally Posted by *Batman*

What I like:
1) First world class interior from Lexus. They finally figured out how to integrate wood properly into the design. No cheap plastics. Premium finishes. leather dash.
2) I love the look from the rear (the straight on shot as if you are following the car). Very stylish and sporty. The best appearance of a car from the rear in this segment. The lights and the concave shape really work.
3) the front looks awesome in the dark shot with the headlights on. In fact those headlights are just mesmerizing.
4) grille is a love or hate thing. I love it. I hope they don't water it down, because if it ends up being boring like the Audi grille this car will be agree, and if they put the bumper on the outside then it will look like a 2006 IS.
5) finally some proper sized wheels and no gap (we will see if those make to production, although I have a feeling these are production wheels for the GSxxx Sport)

What I did not like
2) short wheel base. If the wheel base is same as current car it will also inherit the lack of interior space. It wouldn't surprise me if the F30 BMW 3 series has more interior leg room. This would be a deal breaker for me. I need 2 inches more in front, and 1 inch more in rear as far as leg room goes. Basically same leg room Infiniti serves up in the M56S.
3) The hood and the side panels look very flat. It needs more shape - creases and curves. like the 5 series or like our current GS.
4) the c pillar and rear window are boxy like the E60 5 series. I consider the E60 5 series to be one of the ugliest cars ever made.

Last edited by rjacket; 04-12-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 05:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like the CT will be the new face of lexus.

it already incorporates the spindle.

I'm not so sure I want a 4GS that looks like a CT, but I won't knock it yet.

All lexus needs to do is beat infiniti's M cockroach.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-lexus-ct_200h_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_16.jpg  
Old 04-12-11, 05:06 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default Wow (both good and bad)

This butt is huge!

Seems to me that they overcompensated from the 3GS looking like a small car from the rear.

I would have to see this in person to determine whether this is too big but from the pictures it does look too big for a mid size sedan. It's bigger looking than the 7 series or A8.

The design and reflection on the paint is impressive in this studio shot, but the blue Lexus badge is so cheesy.

It all really reinforces that there is design confusion at Lexus.

One thing I like about the 3GS interior design is how fluid it is. I just wish they would come up with a fluid exterior as they did with the 2005 concept.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-22-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg  
Old 04-12-11, 05:13 PM
LB23
Driver

Old 04-12-11, 05:17 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default Interior good and bad

The Good - a design departure. The pics seem to match the 2005 exterior rather than this 2011 exterior. More wood vs 3GS and the very original red colour.

The bad -I can see flaws. In the passenger dash shot, there seems to be something wrong in the surface of the wood. If it is a reflection, it should have been airbrushed out. In the interior door shot, the plastic panel holding the controls is cut off very square whereas the design theme everywhere else is very subtle curves. In the dashboard shot, the stitching goes under the vent breaking the horizontal gap line.

Overall very positive and the flaws I pick up on are only because the design is top notch.

This unfortunately reinforces that the exterior is disappointing. The fluidity in the interior should have been applied to the exterior.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-42-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-43-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-44-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg  

Last edited by rjacket; 04-12-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 05:22 PM
LexFather

I agree with a lot of the comments here. This design is really mini LS/E60ish with future cues. Really am sad they dropped the coupe feel of the GS and the short/high rear deck for a traditional 3 box shape.

To me the current IS is more dynamic and interesting than this and its a production car. Too many designers today think a giant grill and giant emblems= ground breaking design. I pray that grill does not make production.

I have always loved the fact most Lexus are understated and classy luxury. When Lexus has gone aggressive it has worked (2GS, IS F, LFA).

Really hope a GS F comes. That will really interest me. Otherwise that Panamera is looking better (and its ugly lol).

Old 04-12-11, 05:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

^Thats what I mean by world class interior. Plenty of wood, leather and metallic trim. Not so much vinyl and cheap and plastic.

Reminds me of the BMW 7 series interior.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)