GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 09:49 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear god I certainly hope not. That's hideous. It looks like there's something missing. Then again, this is a concept and hopefully Lexus will re-tune it so that it doesn't look like an overgrown EVO. One can hope!
Old 04-13-11, 10:08 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

not feeling the beak... what is is with manufacturers and the big front grills now??? first Acura with the TL and everything else in their new line... and now the GS? :cries:
Old 04-13-11, 01:59 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

profile looks too much like the 5...
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-bmw-m5-concept-1.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gs500.jpg  
Old 04-13-11, 02:51 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bushwack, this GS is an inch wider, an inch taller and 2 inches+ longer
But the fact that the wheelbase is the same makes me think it might be the same car as the old one under the covers.
- Same wheelbase
- Similar looking side doors
- Similar shaped hood profile from the side

I hope it is not just a major reskin without new mechanicals.
Old 04-13-11, 06:23 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bushwack, this GS is an inch wider, an inch taller and 2 inches+ longer

But I read that interior dimensions were less then the current GS.
Old 04-13-11, 06:46 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of this article?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...xus_wtf-column

Written a year ago and I would say this new concept completely vindicates what he was saying.

In fact, I think it is one of the best written and insightful articles I have seen on the topic of Lexus.

This is the best bit:

"....... You’ll certainly leave wondering what it is that Lexus believes in.

Reliability and customer satisfaction—that’s the rote answer. But these are no long*er enough ....... Everyone’s focused on reliability and customer satisfaction these days, even Jaguar. These are merely prerequisites to selling cars.

The real answer to the question of Lexus’s product convictions is that it has none. It’s a fine mimic, but there’s no dynamic cohesion among its cars. However blasphemous this may sound to the car enthusiast, those great performance Lexuses represent the problem. They are elaborate ways of confusing the brand’s message and scattering its resources. What’s really killing Lexus is waywardness"
Old 04-13-11, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
profile looks too much like the 5...
Very similar which is a concern for me as a buyer. While I think its a good looking profile (E60 grew on me tons) it shared by everyone now. The GS took the BMW hoffmeister kink years ago. Today everyone has it, G37, M37, Genesis, Pontiac G8, Mazda 3, etc etc...

That is the best pic of the GS and it really looks like a refined 5 but I do see some GS in the rear. Great proportions.

Originally Posted by *Batman*
But the fact that the wheelbase is the same makes me think it might be the same car as the old one under the covers.
- Same wheelbase
- Similar looking side doors
- Similar shaped hood profile from the side

I hope it is not just a major reskin without new mechanicals.
Yeah curious to see how it drives. Now it makes sense why the mules had a wider looking track but the wheels didn't move away from each other.

Originally Posted by Bushwack
But I read that interior dimensions were less then the current GS.
Where? Haven't seen them. Surely it will improve as many have complained about the 3GS interior room.

Originally Posted by rjacket
What do you think of this article?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...xus_wtf-column

Written a year ago and I would say this new concept completely vindicates what he was saying.

In fact, I think it is one of the best written and insightful articles I have seen on the topic of Lexus.

This is the best bit:

"....... You’ll certainly leave wondering what it is that Lexus believes in.

Reliability and customer satisfaction—that’s the rote answer. But these are no long*er enough ....... Everyone’s focused on reliability and customer satisfaction these days, even Jaguar. These are merely prerequisites to selling cars.

The real answer to the question of Lexus’s product convictions is that it has none. It’s a fine mimic, but there’s no dynamic cohesion among its cars. However blasphemous this may sound to the car enthusiast, those great performance Lexuses represent the problem. They are elaborate ways of confusing the brand’s message and scattering its resources. What’s really killing Lexus is waywardness"
I think C&D is full of crap. Lexus isn't struggling and hasn't struggled here. They fail to acknowledge that many people LIKE the way they drive. They fail to realize not everyone wants a car that supposedly handles like some 911. Lexus sales are still doing very well considering the bad press, recalls, old lineup and negative press for being "boring". Its the same tune. Well clearly people like it.

Haven driven many of the competition most are sold in base forms. In base forms they aren't much sportier than a Lexus. A base package E class is a snoozefest. So is a 5 series. Yet I don't see them bashed to death.

Amazingly Lexus has succeeded with style and their cars not looking like one another. I don't want Lexus to do the German dance of one style, different lengths and their SUVs looking like frankenstiens. I rarely had an issue with Lexus styling. Quite frankly Lexus styling is fine for the most part. It seems the most vocal people are non Lexus owners and magazines.

Old 04-14-11, 04:42 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Where? Haven't seen them. Surely it will improve as many have complained about the 3GS interior room.
I don't see how the interior space can improve with the wheel base. The wheel wells determine the start point and the end point off the cabin.

They might get more interior room with a cab forward design, but it doesn't have a cab forward design. If you look at the rear window, it has been moved forward relative to the current GS which may suggest even less room in the back.

I'm curious to see the stats, because you can improve the seat design, but the signs point at no more leg room.

Plus the combined width of the tires has increased by more than the width of the car. So you may benefit from the increased width of the car, but you may not if they widen the wheel wells.
Old 04-14-11, 05:33 AM
LexFather

^^^ They can reshape seats, etc. I've always found that the best way to see if a car is spacious is just to sit in it and not rely on published figures. For instance I find the IS has much more legroom up front when the seat is pushed all the way back but off course rear seat room is then non existent. Personally I've never had issues with the space in the 3GS when I have had 5 people in the vehicle. No one ever complained. Surely its no S-class LWB but I don't really desire a bigger car yet.

Funny the original GS was 194" long with a 109" wheelbase.

While not in the same class, a vehicle that is very large but is an awful waste of space is the Acura TL. Its 74" wide and 194" long yet it has a smaller trunk than the last generation which was 5 inches smaller and the interior is quite cramped. Terrible engineering.

Old 04-14-11, 06:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm curious, did the 3GS get hammered on this board like this 4GS*? I've always been a fan of the GS...back to the first generation, and I remember the first time I saw a 3GS on the road....blew me away, absolutely loved it. I'm not getting that feel from this supposed 4th generation.

-The grille is horrid
-LED lights are rice...no other way to describe that train wreck
-Side profile looks like a BMW....YUCK.
-They've removed the gap, but as we all know, the production model will have a gap. Can't remember how many photos Lexus.com put out for the 3GS and all looked lowered, same thing going on here.
-It looks like they removed the touch screen....not good.
-3D clock, are you kidding me, that's an innovation??

Hope to God the production model looks nothing like this dumpster fire.
Old 04-14-11, 06:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I'm curious, did the 3GS get hammered on this board like this 4GS*? I've always been a fan of the GS...back to the first generation, and I remember the first time I saw a 3GS on the road....blew me away, absolutely loved it. I'm not getting that feel from this supposed 4th generation.

-The grille is horrid
-They've removed the gap, but as we all know, the production model will have a gap. Can't remember how many photos Lexus.com put out for the 3GS and all looked lowered, same thing going on here.

Yes, the 3GS got hammered when it debuted in Detroit jan 2005 I remember it well. Quite frankly most new Lexus get hammered initially then people start warming to it and consumers usually love it.

Old 04-14-11, 10:21 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm relieved that they didn't make the car any larger. I really never understood the complaints some have had about the 3GS lacking interior space or legroom. I'm 6'2", 215# and I am perfectly comfortable. Further, I've taken my car on several week-long trips with my family of four and have never had an issue with either passenger or luggage space.

Make the car any larger (or wheelbase longer) and you're going to sacrifice handling and performance. Any larger and I would just get an LS.

I really don't see any more similarities between the LF-Gh and the 5 than I do between most performance sedans in this class. I think it's the identical paint and background in those two pictures that make them look similar to some.

I'm still not feeling the grille. I still hate Audi's trapezoid version, and I doubt if I'll feel any different about the "spindle" interpretation. It just looks like a big ugly hole to me. Maybe if the grille surface followed the contour of the hood and bumper.
Old 04-14-11, 10:45 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28

-The grille is horrid

I love it, wouldn't change a thing except I want big side mirrors.. LOL

Truth is the competition is adding a lot of stylish junk and Lexus wants to stay competitive.
Old 04-14-11, 10:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I love it, wouldn't change a thing except I want big side mirrors.. LOL

Truth is the competition is adding a lot of stylish junk and Lexus wants to stay competitive.

concepts always have fancy side mirror gizmos. they never make it to production.

regarding interior room....... the only thing that was lacking was rear passenger head space. My head would always brush up against the roof.
rear passenger leg space is on par with the class.

it looks like the 4GS might not have this problem.

hopefully the big *** rear overhang will solve the small trunk issue too.
Old 04-14-11, 04:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I'm 6'2", 215# and I am perfectly comfortable.
I'm 6'0 and I feel serious discomfort after an hour in the driver seat of this car.

I am comfortable with my legs fairly straight, but given the limited leg room my legs have to be bent.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)